Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Musky Rod & Reel Combos, Suggestions?
doubleblue44
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 - 09:59 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11477

I actually went to Canadian Tire and got a small pair of bolt cutters for like $15, not in the fishing section in the regular tool section, when the crap hits the fan with a bad hook up I use them quickly and either keep the musky in the net in the water or if I have to take him out - snip snip back in the net (if I think I can get the ends of the hooks out I will try) or simply release and hold him until he is ready.
Mind you, almost all of my bad hook ups are usually when I am bass fishing, spinner bait with a trailer hook.
I bet my bolt cutters have saved 10 muskies?

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 07:24 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

QUOTE (tjames @ Apr 15, 2018 - 09:08 am)
QUOTE (doubleblue44 @ Apr 14, 2018 - 10:40 pm)
lots of good info here wont duplicate too much! 2 points -

1.  Love this reel - its on sale at Cabelas, last you a life time
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/70502/abu-ga...d-baitcast-reel

2. Get bolt cutters!!! You will get a hook up that is ugly, bolt cutters will save the fish.

good luck.

This is also great advice. You need good cutters for the musky hooks. I have the knipex brand, expensive but the actually cut the hooks. I had a mustard cutter and it wouldn't cut the heavy gauge musky hooks

Muskies Canada suggests all muskie fishermen carry a pair of knipex bolt cutters. they are the best in the business IMO. I tried a pair on a muskie that definitely was not getting off. as close as cutting butter as you can get. they are a bit more expensive as well but definitely worth it.

The net I have is Frabil's Big Kahuna
http://www.frabill.com/nets-accessories/sp...ishing-net.html
This is the smallest size net I would use. its big, and deep. do not use a tear drop net. you want the net to be able to cradle the muskie over the side of your boat. do ALL operations in the water while the muskie is in the net. the muskie should ONLY be out of the water to place on your bump board, for a quick measurement and a pic and back in the water. maximum 30 seconds out of the water. but if its fins are already going red by the time you unhook or cut your hooks, do not bother with the measurements or the pic because that fish WILL die.

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 08:31 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11172

This is why I dont bother to target Muskie. Too much risk endangering them. If I want the fight, carp fishing in late May scratches that itch.

PMEmail Poster
Pannie popper
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 04:11 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15902

Commonly referred to as "Release tools," I'd suggest anyone who plans on fishing muskies to have the following. Bolt cutters, Long needle nose pliers, large net, split ring pliers (gloves). I've heard guys say they use side-cutters instead of bolt cutters, just pay the extra few bucks to get the right tool, it will make your life a million times easier if you are presented with a situation where you need to cut a fish loose. The split ring pliers aren't really for release, but more so you can efficiently change out a hook after you cut it. I see a lot of guys using regular needle nose pliers, I've felt enough pike and musky teeth to know that the extra length is well worth the space on the boat and $. Someone guys will put on gloves to ward of teeth and gill rakers (ever watch Jim Saric holding a fish?). Finally, the net. A big hoop with a deep bag is necessary. If you're buying a net specifically for musky fishing, avoid knotted bags. You will see a variety of tar-coated, rubber, non-knotted nets; they will be substantially more expensive than a net with a bag that has knots in it. These types of nets will not damage/cut the musky's fins as much as a knotted net.

What do you do when the fish is boat side and in the bag? Keep the fish in the bag. Remove/cut hooks while the fish is still in the net, get your bump board ready (opened and dip it in the water/get it wet), pull the fish out for measurement (& take a pic). I would agree with Dmorrs35 about releasing the fish without pics and measurement if the fins are red and/or bleeding. My buddies and I will hold our breath while the fish is out of water. If we need to breathe, we put the fish back in the bag (or release if we get the pictures on the first go). If we weren't able to get pictures the first time the fish was out of the bag, we will let the fish rest about a minute before pulling back out of the bag for pictures (holding our breath again). We may be over-doing it a little, but we'd rather see fish swim away healthy than put extra stress on a fish that was just fighting for its life.

This post has been edited by Pannie popper on Apr 16, 2018 - 04:25 pm

PMEmail Poster
Pannie popper
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 04:22 pm

Egg

No problem, fish4dinner. Let me know if you're looking into any other rods I didn't mention, I have a plethora of sporting goods stores near me, and will happily go and check something out for you if you don't have the opportunity/option to check it out in person.

I was at Cabela's yesterday, and was happily surprised with the way their new Tourney Trail rods feel (e.g. weight and sensitivity). For $50 retail, I'm not sure you could beat that rod. I don't need any more musky rods right now, but if I catch one on sale for $30-40, I'll have one in the line-up. If you're close to a Cabela's up there, I'd suggest comparing this rod to the Fenwicks and St Croixs in-hand.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 08:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Have you tried Kristler rods? I never own one but read great reviews. Iíll check out Cabela and bass pro again. Problem is when I go into those places I walk out with more problems! Lol

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 - 08:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11172

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Apr 16, 2018 - 08:07 pm)
Have you tried Kristler rods? I never own one but read great reviews. Iíll check out Cabela and bass pro again. Problem is when I go into those places I walk out with more problems! Lol

I feel your pain. Lol. Its like bringing an alcoholic that just won a lottery into an LCBO.

PMEmail Poster
Pannie popper
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 09:40 am

Egg

Looks like both Bass Pro and Cabela's have free shipping right now.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace