Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Temagami Trout Opener, Family day long weekend
pjmcginty
Posted: Feb 05, 2018 - 10:25 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10669

Its that time of the year again, going up to Temagami for the trout opener.
Last year we went out with Mackie and Blue Haven Lodge. We had a great trip with a really nice laker, whities and ling. Curious how the fishing has been up there, hoping to find some decent sized ling and numerous whities for the pan and smoker.

The only lakers caught 4-15lbs were on very small lures, is this common for Temagami?

By the end of the trip last year we had a decent system for lakers/whities using tip-ups and jigged raps; but does anyone have hints for landing eater-monster ling? Once the late bite took hold we could only ever manage dinks last year. As far as my research has took me, large heavy glow-in-the-dark lures with big bait; sound legit?

Anyway, if anyone is going up for trout opener tight lines to all of us.

Hopefully pictures to come.

This post has been edited by pjmcginty on Feb 05, 2018 - 10:28 pm

PMEmail Poster
sterrr
Posted: Feb 08, 2018 - 06:59 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8641

Balls! I have to work. Let us know how you do. I'll be up the following weekend.

PMEmail Poster
1aquaholic
Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 09:14 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12970

Any over night bungalows anyone might recommend on temagami? I've only done the nip and rosseau. Looking at something different. Thanks

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 09, 2018 - 09:50 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Mackies....

blue
haven

just go to top of page and hit accomodations

Always did well with hime for WF and some lakers and way too many dinky burbot/ling.
mind you I see he is not cheap anymore.

As far as big ling, haven't seen them for some years....used to get lots at dusk and all nite 4-7 pounds. And that was before I started eating them

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
1aquaholic
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 11:18 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12970

QUOTE (Longshank @ Feb 09, 2018 - 09:50 pm)
Mackies....

blue
haven

Always did well with hime for WF and some lakers and way too many dinky burbot/ling.

As far as big ling, haven't seen them for some years....used to get lots at dusk and all nite 4-7 pounds. And that was before I started eating them

booked in for the end of Feb. Mackie was very helpful on the phone. thanks for the help.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 10, 2018 - 10:10 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (1aquaholic @ Feb 10, 2018 - 11:18 am)
QUOTE (Longshank @ Feb 09, 2018 - 09:50 pm)
Mackies....

blue
haven

booked in for the end of Feb. Mackie was very helpful on the phone. thanks for the help.

Nice He is a good guy

If you need some help pm me . If you have fished up there before .....all good

Jeff from Tamar
Posted: Feb 11, 2018 - 02:44 pm

Egg

Member No.: 13211

After watching our clients for the last 10 years catch lots of small ling with very very few eaters caught we decided to try something new for ling. We used two different groups. One was highly experienced and the other some young guys partying hard with very little ice fishing experience. We cut up a 2 hand fulls of shiners into 3/4 inch or smaller pieces breaking the air bags. Right at dark we would throw one handful down the hole. Then had them fish 2 hooks and a sinker. One hook on bottom, sinker 6 inches up and the next hook 18 inches up. On the bottom a good size dead shiner. On the top hook a good size live shiner. Let the line down to the bottom and bring your sinker 3 inches off the bottom so the dead minnow is lying on the ground and wait. No movement. I went out the next morning and saw the very experienced guys first and saw nothing outside there hut. Went in and asked. Said they caught a pile of good size ling but let them go as they do not eat them. As you hear a lot of fish stories I thought maybe they were exaggerating as catching many eating ling on the lake is odd if never. Went to the young guys bungalow. Only one guy up at 10 am. Asked how he did. He said they caught lots and do I want to see them. Sure. He came out with a box with 12 to 15 keeper ling. I was very shocked. The next two nights both bungalows continued to catch more keeper ling. That weekend was the most keeper ling I have seen caught since I began fishing and operating on the lake 30 years ago. No promises but you never know. Will be fishing the big lake and a few back lakes this weekend too. Fishing has been up and down. Sun and clouds and cold been very good. Warmer days with clouds has been ok and dark clouds or complete sun with cold has been very slow. Mixed bag of lakers,whitefish and a few walleye. Back spec lakes have been ok to good and the back splake lakes have been good.

This post has been edited by Jeff from Tamar on Feb 11, 2018 - 02:52 pm

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 11, 2018 - 03:40 pm

World Record Trout

Hey Jeff. that's great to hear about the ling

Myself, I can only get those doinkers, but then again I haven'yt really tried for them much in past few years.

not like 30 years ago as you mentioned.

Have a great season

pjmcginty
Posted: Feb 11, 2018 - 04:35 pm

Alevin

Thanks for the info Jeff!
I will give that a try, like I said, lots of Ling, but all tiny last year. I imagine with so many little ones there has gotta be a healthy population of eaters. Got the group all pumped up for smoked whitefish and lakers so hopefuly we produce. I am trying to convince my group to hit up some peaceful little back lakes for Specs but only if main lake fishing is crumby.

Only 5 more nights to go! Can't wait to see the lake again.

PMEmail Poster
dula
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 04:02 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7692

A group of us headed up Friday to Loon Lodge for Laker Season. We usually catch alot of whitefish, Lakers and the Odd Pickeral. Plus Ling (which are really good eats by the way). Whitefish are caught on tip ups and a spreader. If you put a hook about 12 inches up, Lakers will bite on a live minnow. Hook through the tail. Pickeral will bite at dusk and dawn on swedish pimple or jig heads with hook through the mouth and top of head. Lakers good to jig with a tube jig and minnow about a foot off the bottom of the lake. Have to be in 120 feet deep water area. With a drop off or ridge near by for Pickeral. Ling will bite all night on just about anything. Been going to Loon Lodge since 2001. JOHN AND JEN ARE REALLY NICE HOSTS. Although John could use a trip to the dentist to add to his one tooth. HAHAHAHHA.
Enjoy.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 14, 2018 - 08:58 pm

World Record Trout

have a good trip Dula, and look forward to your post

pjmcginty
Posted: Feb 19, 2018 - 08:10 pm

Alevin

Update from trip.
We went out with Loon Lodge this year, John and Jenny run a really great operation.

Fishing was great, but unexpected.
I was hoping for a lot of whities, we lost two and ended up with none. Didnt mark many at all. Thanks for the ling advice, we landed about 5 good size ling and numerous dingalings.
Lost a big laker, and got a nice 2-3lb eater. Our luck with walleye was much different. We ended up with 4 good eating walleye and a 8lb beast. On top of this we landed and released another 4 or 5 walleye that were either too small or just in the slot.

Fishing was off and on the whole weekend with some days producing nothing, and others a rush of tip ups and chasers, almost overwhelming, but what a fantastic time on a fantastic lake.

Pictures soon to follow.

Big thanks to the operators up in Temagami.

PMEmail Poster
dula
Posted: Yesterday at 04:49 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7692

We were up with John and Jen as well this past weekend. May have been right beside your hut. In any event. I caught 3 lakers. 2 small ones and one really nice size one. Will send picture tomorrow after i download it. No whities, no picks and a few ling. Still a great fish fry. Caught the Lakers on a 2 pronged spreader with a pretty small circle hook about a foot up. 2 small minnows on the spreader and a bigger one on the circle hook. On a tip up of course. Tip ups always seem to work best on that lake. My buddies in the hut kept losing lakers near the top of the whole, Were using a bigger hook and not a circle hook. I was 3 for 3 on the catch with a circle hook. Probably would have caught more fish if we didn't drink so much ! Hope that helps anyone headed up to that beautiful lake.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace