Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Reel maintenance
chazD
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 09:40 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11172

Just wondering how many of you fellow anglers do reel maintenance, how often and what do you do to maintain them?

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 04, 2018 - 10:46 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

For my boat usage reels, I don't do much maintenance, as they don't get overly abused. I generally open them up once a year and apply some reel oil on the gears. I also remove the spool and clean the drag system, generally brush away fine dirt from under spool with a small soft bristled paint brush. I should also replace the drag washers, new reels usually come with a baggy of some extra washers. FYI these are all spinning reels.

For my steelhead usage reels, well they get battered from being on the bank and sometimes even in the water. They usually need to be completed opened and I sometimes disassemble the gears, and soak in a cleaning solution. They are usually covered with small sand particles. Real bad for the gears. I then reassemble and oil. I have my steelhead reel on the work bench right now, needs an over haul (when I have time)

O ya... I need to replace the bail springs on a couple reels as well..

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 06:50 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Every couple of years new line goes on and they get a shot of oil inside the gears and that's about it..

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 07:01 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Once a year take them all apart grease and oil them and they are good to go again.

PMEmail Poster
kevb81
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 12:00 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4937

Once a year I take them apart and give them a good cleaning. Grease the gears and oil the bearings.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace