Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> West Arm Nipissing
Hure Lure
Posted: Jun 02, 2017 - 10:39 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12823

I am thinking of heading to the west arm on Lake Nipissing in September for Walleye and staying at the West Arm Lodge. Can anyone give me some info on how the fishing is at that time, what to use and an opinion of the lodge and owners?
Thanks

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 02, 2017 - 12:26 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8318

hi, I am at the other end of the west arm, I have been down to that area a handful of times, fishing was pretty decent anytime I have visited, however peak summer there is ALOT of pressure there, having said that September is one of my favourite times of year. kids are back to school and vacation time is usually over so it is truly peaceful on the water.

there are a lot of different areas to explore and fish up that way, be careful with rocks and shoals, travel slowly over the water anywhere you haven't been. unfortunately I rarely target walleye exclusively so I cant offer much there.

I am confident if you chose to go during that time you will enjoy yourself, catch a few fish and enjoy the peace and quiet.

cheers!

PMEmail Poster
Hure Lure
Posted: Jun 02, 2017 - 02:29 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12823

Thanks for the reply Westarm,
We would also aim for pike if you have any tips.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Jun 02, 2017 - 03:44 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8318

spinner baits, bucktails, minnows for gators are my go to. but I also like shallow hardbaits like rapala minnows perch color.

try 8-12 feet of water just outside weedlines in the fall. if you are fishing walleye many times the odd pike will roll in as well so a lot of times I will fish for them in the usual walleye spots.

September- October can be funny. I find either the bite is really good or really slow and it can change day to day. that's just my opinion but many times in September and October we have gone out and you don't want to come back, other times by noon its just beer time. lol.

also, beat up the staff at the lodge for spots and what is currently hot. they get their fair share of hardcore fisherman there ever since FISH TV as well as Fishful thinking recorded a couple of shows there a few years back. here is the link if you want to watch it. there are more if you search as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0SvAR8ruYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asT6i5ubpmE

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jun 03, 2017 - 02:03 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3521

I wouldn't rely on the the owners for too much info. A buddy stayed there a few years ago. Now he is a little familiar with the lake and usually stays at my place when we fish or do our duck hunting thing, but that summer he brought his wife up for some r&r. I visited, and he (the owner) overheard some of our outdoor talk out by the fire one night. After I left he was all over my bud for info... where we hunt, fish, how we do etc.
2 years ago guests of his had motor trouble out front and tied off at the neighbours dock. I gave them a hand and shot the breeze for a bit. They were quite surprised to find out I caught walleye and did well. We were 5mins from the lodge, on a well known island. I had to get on the phone and give him directions to come give his clients a tow. It doesn't appear as though he knows the lake. That place doesn't have near the business it used to. I remember going in there as a kid and looking at "the wall"... all pictures of guests with stringers of walleye and trophy musky. It's all gone. Too bad.. most of their clientele was repeat business from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan etc.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace