Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Helix 5 Sonar, Trolling in Ice Fishing Mode
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 20, 2018 - 07:43 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

2years ago I replaced my old Eagle Sonar from 2005 with the Helix 5. It is the basic model, but obviously has a lot more features and settings that the old Eagle.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use it.

I run it at max sensitivity, dual beam, usually 4xzoom, no clear fire, no fish ID. In over 100fow I can get a good return from the cannonball and fish when I'm trolling.

When I jigged today, I put it into "ice fishing" mode and could see my lure and the fish etc. When I went back to trolling, I forgot to take it out of "ice fishing" mode and the return from the cannonball and the fish around the bottom was much better than in trolling mode? Anyone else encounter this?

I must experiment with this some more when I am on Lake Ontario in 200-250fow.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get the most out of this unit? Would appreciate your input.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Jun 21, 2018 - 07:08 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

All these modes are just pre-configured settings which you can change independently.
If i remember correctly the "Ice fishing" mode changes the transducer frequency from 200khz to 83khz (which has a wider cone angle and is able to "see" stuff deeper) which is what made most of the difference in your case. It also changes the noise rejection to low and surface clarity to low.

PMEmail Poster
Berger
Posted: Jun 22, 2018 - 04:06 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9805

Basically, with low frequency (50 kHz, 83kHz) ultrasound, you can conduct deep-water search, but with high frequency (200 kHz) ultrasound, the searchable depth is not that deep, use that for shallow.

PMEmail Poster
bassmasterrr
Posted: Jun 23, 2018 - 10:35 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13353

Are you guys sure I always thought 83hz for shallow water ( wider cone ) , and 200 for deep water ( narrow cone ) , atleast thatís how I always run mine and mark good.

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Jun 23, 2018 - 01:25 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (bassmasterrr @ Jun 23, 2018 - 10:35 am)
Are you guys sure I always thought 83hz for shallow water ( wider cone ) , and 200 for deep water ( narrow cone ) , atleast thatís how I always run mine and mark good.

Very sure.

The lower the frequency, the higher its range.
On the other hand, the higher the frequency, the better is its resolution.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 23, 2018 - 08:30 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (bassmasterrr @ Jun 23, 2018 - 10:35 am)

You are right.

I spent some time last evening re-reading my manual and checking on the Humminbird web-site. 83 for shallow, 200 for deep.

I learned that when you go into "ice fishing" mode the sonar automatically adjusts the beam on the assumption you will be using the "flasher" mode. Apparently, those adjustments are in there, even if you are not using the sonar in flasher mode.

When I get a chance on Lake Ontario, I want to experiment with that while trolling in 200-300fow to see how strong the return is. In 125fow on Simcoe, I had a very strong return while in "ice fishing" mode as I trolled.

SDC

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace