Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Warm spell effecting couchiching?
dmorrs35
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 08:22 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8547

Hey guys,

I don't know how much snow cover there was or how thick the ice was. are there other people still fishing tomorrow? im planning on it.

what are your thoughts on how the ice was effected by the warm spell?

Thanks,

Dave (dmorrs35)

PMEmail Poster
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 08:49 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12632

I am also curious. Planning on going up to Cooks Bay tomorrow.

PMEmail Poster
Miha
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 09:02 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4230

I was on the ice yesterday.
Attached Image

By 3 PM there was a flood from melting snow atop of the ice, and water was running into holes like crazy, melting the edges and enlarging them.

Attached Image

I saw a hole which was in some bad place so it grew from original 8" to something like 15"-20". Now we have a flash-freeze and snow coming. So those large holes will be covered with a thin crust of ice and snowed over. Be really, really careful and spud your way, especially near cracks.

PMUsers Website
dmorrs35
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 09:20 am

Trophy Trout

Thanks for the report Miha, how thick was the ice?

PMEmail Poster
Miha
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 09:33 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4230

QUOTE (dmorrs35 @ Jan 12, 2018 - 09:20 am)
Thanks for the report Miha, how thick was the ice?

Thickness-wise it was fine. At least 8". But again, beware of holes, cracks and shoreline runoffs.

PMUsers Website
Getin
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 09:39 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3407

QUOTE (Miha @ Jan 12, 2018 - 09:02 am)
Attached Image

amazing picture !

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 10:00 am

Trophy Trout

Awesome! with the freeze today going to happen, it should tighten up the water on top adding a little extra ice. should be an easy walk as the weather forcast has no snow for Orillia till Monday! should REALLY help out no?

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 10:26 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

It'll be fine, temps already freezing now.

PM
BootiusMaximus
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:28 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14934

Are there any safety issues that arise when the snow on top melts, then quickly freezes? Would the ice formed on the top layer be different from the existing ice?
Would it just add to the existing ice making it thicker and stronger?

PMEmail Poster
FishFinder17
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:52 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12839

depends if all the water on top of the ice freezes..

If you have a thin layer of ice, then 2" of water on top of 8" of ice, walking is a nightmare...

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 11:54 am

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (BootiusMaximus @ Jan 12, 2018 - 11:28 am)
Are there any safety issues that arise when the snow on top melts, then quickly freezes? Would the ice formed on the top layer be different from the existing ice?
Would it just add to the existing ice making it thicker and stronger?

I think that's a very good question. My thoughts would be it is just an added layer of ice. but with the snow out of the way the cold temps will thicken the ice much faster. that's my thoughts, but would that layer of melted snow that refreezes ontop of the ice? ill leave it for the more experienced ice fisherman that know more about it to address

PMEmail Poster
G-Mech
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 01:52 pm

Fry

Member No.: 3253

Despite the forecast, we went out from Port Bolster yesterday and traveled almost over to Beaverton and out to the islands. It was quite slushy in the morning but by the afternoon the snow was basically all gone and the lake was covered in water with as much as 6" in some areas. There is lots of ice (well over 12" everywhere we drilled). We were going to go out this morning but there was even more water on the ice and raining fairly hard so decided we were smarter than that. Hardly anyone else went out this morning. I really can't see it freezing back up for at least a couple of days even with the cold snap tonight. Saw some operators huts being pulled off yesterday, likely they were worried about them freezing in.

Oh and by the way, the perch fishing was horrible too, nobody we talked to had much success but it was still better than working!

PMEmail Poster
nocod
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 02:08 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 401

QUOTE (G-Mech @ Jan 12, 2018 - 01:52 pm)
Despite the forecast, we went out from Port Bolster yesterday and traveled almost over to Beaverton and out to the islands. It was quite slushy in the morning but by the afternoon the snow was basically all gone and the lake was covered in water with as much as 6" in some areas. There is lots of ice (well over 12" everywhere we drilled). We were going to go out this morning but there was even more water on the ice and raining fairly hard so decided we were smarter than that. Hardly anyone else went out this morning. I really can't see it freezing back up for at least a couple of days even with the cold snap tonight. Saw some operators huts being pulled off yesterday, likely they were worried about them freezing in.

Oh and by the way, the perch fishing was horrible too, nobody we talked to had much success but it was still better than working!

Great details ,thanks brother.

PMEmail Poster
Buonanotte
Posted: Jan 12, 2018 - 10:33 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15030

QUOTE (G-Mech @ Jan 12, 2018 - 01:52 pm)

Great report! Too bad about the perch, there's always next time!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace