Outdoors Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Highway 400 Disaster
VBB
Posted: Nov 09, 2017 - 08:44 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9650

QUOTE (Lazinator @ Nov 06, 2017 - 12:28 pm)
QUOTE (VBB @ Nov 06, 2017 - 08:46 am)
My friends stepdad is involved in the business as a dispatcher and according to him there was a car parked on the shoulder that got back on the highway right in front of him which caused the truck to swerve. Could be wrong but that's what I heard from him and the man is also a pastor so I believe him. How credible that info which he received I don't know.

The people that are making this up didn't bother looking at any of the pictures from the accident scene, the pictures that show the tanker and the car transport he slammed into both in the right lane.

Guess you cant even trust pastors anymore.

Can't always trust what you see especially from a picture...

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted: Nov 09, 2017 - 09:11 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

trucks still going TOOOOOOOO fast. IMO. and I believe everything I read on facebook too.

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Nov 09, 2017 - 02:49 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (trapperdirk @ Nov 09, 2017 - 08:16 am)
You calling me a liar and that I imagined an eye witness account . ? Your likely one of those that starts these crashes .

Information regarding the accident on 400 hwy. Post was shared by -
Judie Bryan
A friend sent this to the CTV News in Barrie. She is waiting to hear back if the reporters will take the truth to the story of that crash..
To whom this may concern , I was in that fiery crash . What happened was their was an accident clean up in front of us so all lanes were at a dead stop , people were cutting other people off in lanes to try and get ahead . 3 cars behind me I had witnessed a car actually cut one of the transport truck drivers off and thatís when it went downhill , we all kept seeing car after car catch on fire , I actually witnessed a cars hood catch completely on fire and watched it crash into another a transport truck and thatís when everyone kept hearing the big loud bangs and it was just rolls of fire and smoke . There was so many people that almost got caught into it but finally everyone started honking their horns and we were moving inch by inch . All of a sudden we finally saw police start coming to check it out then fire trucks , people were getting out of their cars to help others . Police had urged us to keep going as the gasoline was spreading . I witnessed it hit the forest then start to roll to the other side , the most heartbreaking thing is I witnessed one of the cars behind me completely catch on fire and just burn . I almost didnít make it out , Iím writing an email because opp obviously are siding with politics , many of us gave statements but it wasnít the truck driver that started it . It was a car that had cut one of them off .. I donít know what the odds are that someone will read this but the man that died does not deserve to go down with a reputation that wasnít even his fault especially with 9 kids . Police need to wake up and start cracking down the law of people cutting off transport truck drivers and not signalling other lanes . If people would drive with care we probably wouldnít have so many accidents . I do have some scary footage of the fire and how it kept getting bigger but unfortunately I was swearing in it . I donít think Iíve ever encountered something so scary .
Thank you for Your time and I hope you share that it was not the truck drivers fault because the police donít believe anyone.
I have copy & pasted this from another site as I couldn't Share it but I can see how this would happen & I don't think everyone should be vilifying the truck drivers before all evidence is in.

So, all lanes of the hwy were at a dead stop or just barely crawling.
Some clowns were switching between lanes trying to get ahead a bit faster in very slow traffic.
One of these jackasses cuts off a transport and causes a tanker truck, that's just crawling along with the rest of the traffic, to slam into another transport in front of him, somehow with enough force to disintegrate his cab and rupture the tanker trailer he's hauling.
The police and media are trying to hide the real cause because of politics.
Well it does make sense to me now, i'm sorry i couldn't see it before.

And yes, of course i'm one of these that starts these crashes, why wouldn't i be?

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Nov 09, 2017 - 04:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 - 08:25 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Just was watching city news.. Transport trucks so far this year have been involved in 55% of all accidents this year in Ontario...
This doesn't mean all truck drivers are bad..

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Nov 16, 2017 - 10:02 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

Horrible accident regardless who's fault it was. I wish these tankers could be more bulletproof and not leak or explode from rolling over or in accident at low speed like this one.

I used to work in the logistics field and I have watched many bad truck drivers go on the road. The ones that cannot even park a car straight. I know they don't give tankers to any rookie so I am sure this driver is experience and have a good track record. I have been driving up on the north bound 400 a lot lately and they have been doing some work at night. The warning of closing lanes are not that great. You will be driving 100km/h and all of a sudden pylons starts closing off the lane and that stretch of the highway has no street lights. Very hard to see a head. Some days they use the flashing arrow and some days they don't. They funnel 3 lanes into 1 lane in a short distance which I find very dangerous. With the light traffic at night you will be going from 100km to 120km/h to zero over the hill in a second.

PMEmail Poster
bramptonmike
Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 01:23 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14723

QUOTE (cottagebum @ Nov 03, 2017 - 08:46 pm)
As a fellow truck driver, I must first extend my sincerest condolences to the families and friends of the victims. Incidents like this happen all too often, often caused by driver "inattentiveness", lack of proper training, etc. The sad reality is that often it's the "bad" drivers that make it out alive. I've been running trucks up and down the 400 for 11 years now, and I can say with a good bit of certainty that the stretch between Vaughan and Barrie is a terrible drive. The seemingly endless series of construction projects simply compounds the problem. I've been lucky - knock on wood - that I haven't been tangled up in any 400 ugliness. The 400 is poorly lit, heavily traveled, and filled with distractions (usually construction). Those 3 ingredients make up a recipe for disaster. The only stretch of road I dislike running more is the 401 between London and Windsor.

As for the "bad" driver issue, this year the province introduced MELT. Which stands for Manditory Entry Level Training. Meaning, commercial drivers will have to complete a program at an accredited school, overseen by the MTO. This means no more $500 training courses that only teach people how to drive the test course. Better training should equal better drivers, which should mean safer roads for us all. As for the distracted driving issue, that's something I'd rather not touch on, as my thumbs are getting tired, and I have things to do around the house (getting my fishing gear ready for tomorrow counts as house work, right?).

Well said my friend...as an retired AZ driver with many many miles under my belt albeit the last 10 years of my working life was in management, I found the quality of drivers out there, be it commercial or non commercial has gone downhill drastically...i'm glad i'm not on the rad anymore...people have no frigging clue how to drive nowadays and they have never filled up their blinker light fluid in their lives and wouldn't have a frigging clue how too!

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Nov 27, 2017 - 12:10 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

Editorial from this weeks Georgina Advocate.

Georgina Advocate | Thursday, November 23, 2017 |
Carnage and death involving transport trucks on
Ontario highways has reached a critical mass. Collisions
are happening with a frequency that can only be
described as staggering.
The Ontario Provincial Police have revealed that,
since Jan. 1, its officers have tracked more than 5,000
transport truck-related collisions. Sixty seven people
lost their lives in those crashes.
And three people were killed in the horrific incident
on Highway 400 near County Road 88 on Oct. 31.
Police say at least one truck slammed into vehicles
slowing in the area because of an earlier collision.
The investigation into that crash is continuing, but
police are growing increasingly concerned about
transports hitting slowing traffic.
Just days before the Highway 400 crash, OPP commissioner
Vince Hawkes publicly voiced concerns
about fatal collisions caused by distracted truck drivers,
citing several examples.
Last summer, two people were killed in a collision
near Port Hope and two others lost their lives in Chatham-Kent.
Another fatality happened in Georgina.
In May, four occupants in a vehicle died in Kingston.

In all of these incidents, police say a transport
crashed into traffic that had stopped or slowed down
due to construction or a collision.
The statistics related to crashes involving transport
trucks on OPP-patrolled highways really do speak for
themselves, and theyíre sobering and also maddening
for so much carelessness and preventable loss of life.
. In 2015 and 2016, the OPP responded to a total of
13,668 collisions that involved transport trucks in
which 155 people were killed
. From Jan. 1 to Oct. 15 this year, there have been
more than 5,000 transport truck-related collisions,
with 67 deaths in 56 of the collisions
If thereís any positive to take away from all this
grimness, it is this: The OPP, through its commissioner,
has vowed the police service will be íputting drivers
on noticeí to pursue every investigative avenue to
hold at-fault drivers accountable.
Itís important to hold rogue truck drivers to account,