Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Who eats bass?, Just trying to see the numbers

Who eats bass?
I eat bass regularly [ 46 ]  [17.29%]
I eat bass once in a while [ 111 ]  [41.73%]
I don't eat bass [ 109 ]  [40.98%]
Total Votes: 266
Guests cannot vote 
VBB
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 08:36 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9650

Just seeing roughly how many people eat bass on this forum.

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 08:43 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

I will take the odd 2lber home with me if I am craving a change of texture and flavour but mostly let them go. I don't specifically target them though but catch them while pike fishing.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 08:51 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

I have had Bass before, however don't target them as fish to bring home on a regular basis. They are noting special on the plate or table and I prefer Perch, Crappie or Walleye.

Any honest Bass fisherman has killed a Bass at one point in time. There has been times when Bass have been Gut hooked so bad that the fish didn't make it after putting it in the live well. This happens time to time in tournaments as well.
So it was either toss it back to float on the lake for the birds or to take it home and consume it yourself to not waste. I'm sure this has happened to many out there.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 09:14 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10053

Never go out planning to bring em home but im not going to waste a fish that is dead or going to die.

PMEmail Poster
DOS
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 09:20 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2926

I don't eat Bass (I'm a bit of a walleye snob) but I don't hold it against anyone that may want to consume them. My cousin enjoys them, but when he is in my boat, I make him put them all back. More so to p### him off, not out of principal.

PMEmail Poster
1madcrappies
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 10:58 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2297

Tryed it once never agian . For me it tastes awful

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 12:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

Rarely, however a smallie on occasion.Crappie, Walleye and Rainbow rule my table fare!

PMEmail Poster
Brookie56
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 02:51 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3537

Crappie, Walleye and Perch are at the top of my list. I do eat bass occasionally and like the 10-14" size best.A milk bath prior to cooking seems to help take away a bit of the fishy taste. Deep fried in beer batter or a cajun coating works for me.

PMEmail Poster
ForrestGumpFishing
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 03:46 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12707

I cooked it for 8 people that didn't notice a difference in the fish taste over other fish. My brothers gluten free girlfriend said it was good fish, didnt notice a difference between walleye. And thats the opinion of someone who doesn't have batter or spices on fish

PMEmail Poster
Beachcomber
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 07:29 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 1977

I deep fried perch and whitefish that were previously frozen and a couple fresh smallmouth. The first plate that was a empty was the fresh bass.
I keep a couple every two weeks or so in July and August. The rest go back

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted on Jul 13, 2017 - 11:17 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Never eat or keep them unless one is gut hooked or going to die.

then I bring it back and prep it for other people.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Smilee
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 04:32 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11276

Perch,bluegill,walleye,and winter crappie rule at my house. I do fish for bass in spring n summer but only use large top water baits so they don't take the bait so deep that they can't be released. Good fishing n good eating to all !! 🙂

PMEmail Poster
HardlyCore
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 06:28 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8169

I'm always surprised when I hear a person's preference is smallies over LMB. Smallies have a smell when you poke into them to clean them in my experience. And that's from deep lakes and shallow lakes. I'll eat one or two a year but my preference for bass is large mouth by far. Super clean, white, firm meat. Again though, only one or two per year on my table. Just stick it to all the tournament guys out there:p

Pike rules at our house. I used to think walleye was the end all be all, but i think people like it over pike out of convenience. Easier to clean so better on the tastebuds

PMEmail Poster
PaPa Iker
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 10:51 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12778

Plant it by your roses !!

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 11:29 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (thanh @ Jul 13, 2017 - 08:51 am)
I have had Bass before, however don't target them as fish to bring home on a regular basis. They are noting special on the plate or table and I prefer Perch, Crappie or Walleye.

Any honest Bass fisherman has killed a Bass at one point in time. There has been times when Bass have been Gut hooked so bad that the fish didn't make it after putting it in the live well. This happens time to time in tournaments as well.
So it was either toss it back to float on the lake for the birds or to take it home and consume it yourself to not waste. I'm sure this has happened to many out there.

toss it back to float on the lake for the birds? unfortunately I don't think this is legal per Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace