Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Who eats bass?, Just trying to see the numbers

Who eats bass?
I eat bass regularly [ 48 ]  [17.14%]
I eat bass once in a while [ 116 ]  [41.43%]
I don't eat bass [ 116 ]  [41.43%]
Total Votes: 280
Guests cannot vote 
xiaolu
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 11:31 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (HardlyCore @ Jul 14, 2017 - 06:28 am)
I'm always surprised when I hear a person's preference is smallies over LMB.  Smallies have a smell when you poke into them to clean them in my experience.  And that's from deep lakes and shallow lakes.  I'll eat one or two a year but my preference for bass is large mouth by far.  Super clean, white, firm meat.  Again though, only one or two per year on my table.  Just stick it to all the tournament guys out there:p

Pike rules at our house.  I used to think walleye was the end all be all, but i think people like it over pike out of convenience.  Easier to clean so better on the tastebuds

Agree. Largemouth bass tastes a lot better than smallmouth bass. Period:-)

And on the kitchen table at my house perch rules by far:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
HardlyCore
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 11:47 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8169

QUOTE (PaPa Iker @ Jul 14, 2017 - 10:51 am)
Plant it by your roses !!

Great for tomato plants too. But if I have to kill a fish I'm not going to eat, it goes straight to the chickens. They're fiends!

PMEmail Poster
jmah
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 12:25 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10488

nothing wrong with a good feed of Bass

PMEmail Poster
Northern Ghost
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 02:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4727

The man know what he's talkin about. I've seen him eat a plate of smallies stacked up like flap jacks!
L.M.A.O!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
finek
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 05:56 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 11138

After a few bad taste experiences with a larger basses I decided not to eat bass with the length more then 35 cm. Any bass 35 cm or less - is OK for me and my family members.
The best (common) fish to eat - no doubt - it is the brook trout up to 30 cm. Bigger - yes, but have to be smoked.
Second best - is walleye, up to 65 cm,
Next - must be the yellow perch.
Pike (boneless fillet) is very good too, if fish is caught at winter time or right after spawn.
Lake herring - thank you.... (but never had an opportunity to eat the smoked one. I heard they are great).
Whitefish - only smoked and not too big fish.
The best of all is of course fresh Sockeye salmon eating raw, with some dill, salt, black pepper, and a bit of canola oil. Can also be prepared as grave-lax (try to google it) - it is awesome!!
That's my 2 cents about what to (or not to) eat.

PMEmail Poster
Simcoe Said
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 06:18 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11638

Ile harvest a small mouth bass from time to time.always found them to be free of parasites,and they taste great.
It's a nice fluffy white meat great for battering.
Tried large mouth once .tasted like a mud sandwich.
Never again my friends

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 07:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Quote.....Tried large mouth once .tasted like a mud sandwich.

Simcoe Said sounds like you ate the wrong end of the bass.... Lol

PMEmail Poster
Simcoe Said
Posted on Jul 14, 2017 - 07:42 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11638

Perhaps I did .lmfao

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted on Jul 15, 2017 - 08:38 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8190

It's weird how some say largemouth are way better. And others say it's the opposite. Some say whitefish 'have to' be smoked. And if a brookie is over 30cm they're not good!!! ( that last one is definitely a crazy thing to say!!)

I know a guy who says pickerel bigger than 3 pounds taste like old shoe leather!??(how he knows, I'm not sure)...the ones around 8 lbs are delicious around here!

A different guy told me once..."the fish out of _____lake, you have to bleed them out as soon as you catch them...cut all around the gills, and leave them on the ice...if you don't do that, you can't even stand eating them!" --- seriously!?

I like when people say they like ______, cause it's not 'too fishy' tasting....wait?!...why are you eating fish then, if you don't like 'fishy taste'?

It's all pre-conceived notions, and how you were brought up, I believe.

I've personally eaten most of our common local species of fish. They're all good. There may be examples of poorer quality fish in any species, due to their preferred feed, or location, whether large or small. I do agree that small to medium size fish of most species are better to eat than bigger ones - however; I've never eaten any size of any species which were no good or bad tasting.

Pretty much all a personal preference thing.
And it depends a lot on your fishing success.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted on Jul 15, 2017 - 09:24 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4287

Save a pickerel, eat a bass! I eat bass from our cottage lake if I'm looking for dinner. I'm a pickerel fisherman so I try to take some of the pressure off my favourite species to catch!

PMEmail Poster
DOS
Posted on Jul 15, 2017 - 09:40 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2926

I would put all pickerel back also, being that they are so rare( especially in the Quinte area. Better to eat a pike as they are pretty much the same fish. Bass are fun to catch and can make a decent meal from time to time, but bar none walleye are the best eating fish followed by perch...

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted on Jul 15, 2017 - 03:40 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

It all depends how you cook it and prep fish. For those who filet fish.... perch and walleye are best. Those who steam fish love bass. Some people love oily fish like herrings. Some fine that gross. To each their own and I will never judge what people consume. I have tried bass a few times prep by different people. Had great experience and had aweful ones too. Not a consistent fish and can vary from time in the season or lake they are caught from.

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted on Jul 16, 2017 - 12:07 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12333

man I love a good feed of small mouth bass.here where I am the water is cooler and they have no worms.good eats for sure.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
Posted on Jul 17, 2017 - 10:25 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

for the amount of money I spend on fishing, darn right i am eating them, yum

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fish4Dinner
Posted on Jul 17, 2017 - 10:36 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (poidy @ Jul 17, 2017 - 10:25 am)
for the amount of money I spend on fishing, darn right i am eating them, yum

👍
I'll admit I can be selfish and hate seeing people keep fish I enjoy catching for sport. But I am more logical then selfish and understand the rights to hunting and fishing was to provide and not for sports.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace