Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: «« < 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Who eats bass?, Just trying to see the numbers

Who eats bass?
I eat bass regularly [ 46 ]  [17.29%]
I eat bass once in a while [ 111 ]  [41.73%]
I don't eat bass [ 109 ]  [40.98%]
Total Votes: 266
Guests cannot vote 
HuskyMusky
Posted on Aug 28, 2017 - 10:55 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 11716

then if its illegal to throw back a dead fish, and its illegal to keep an out of season fish,, what do u do if u inadvertently catch a out of season fish and its gut hooked to the point its dead??????

dammed if u do, dammed if u dont, or dont give a dam?

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted on Aug 29, 2017 - 06:01 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

QUOTE (HuskyMusky @ Aug 28, 2017 - 10:55 pm)
then if its illegal to throw back a dead fish, and its illegal to keep an out of season fish,, what do u do if u inadvertently catch a out of season fish and its gut hooked to the point its dead??????

Immediate release if you catch any fish out of season by accident.

PMEmail Poster
GrandRiverWill
Posted on Aug 29, 2017 - 08:32 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12632

QUOTE (HuskyMusky @ Aug 28, 2017 - 11:55 pm)

I would cut the line and leave the hook as opposed to ripping it out. Possible try to cut the hook or at least pinch the barb. Hopefully that way the fish can finish its spawn before the hook complicates is survival.

I have caught fish with a swivel hanging out its poop chute, so I don't know if the hook really dissolves like I have heard some people say.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted on Sep 03, 2017 - 10:35 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9047

I eat bass often. Nice fillets, easy pickin', and taste great. I did a blind fish fry with pike, perch, and bass... surprised to hear most said they liked the pike 1st, bass 2nd, and perch 3rd.

I don't feel bad eating fish I catch. I pay for my sportsman license every year (never keep the increased limit), contribute money to the local economy, and enjoy catching my own food rather than buying from the grocery store.

Getting a bit older, and in my eyes, I went from keep everything, to keep nothing, to keep some for dinner. My opinion, keep what you want to eat, be mindful of the size you keep, leave the lake cleaner than you found it.

I have a much bigger issue with people leaving trash, littering, and treating the lake like a dump. My favourite is the guy who gets mad if someone keeps a fish to eat, but leaves his empty pop cans and garbage scattered around the shoreline.

Just my 2 cents. Baba booey Baba booey!!!

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted on Sep 03, 2017 - 12:34 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

QUOTE (BlackCrowe13 @ Sep 03, 2017 - 10:35 am)

Just my 2 cents. Baba booey Baba booey!!!

Hey now!

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted on Sep 15, 2017 - 02:34 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10322

Being of European background, I remember growing up in the sixty's in Canada when all the adult men at the cottage would wake up before dawn and go fishing on the Pefferlaw River. (I was always disappointed when they didn't take me.) They would come back at lunch with an assortment of fish. They would typically have smallies, bluegill, perch, carp, and catfish. My grandmother would clean the fish for dinner and everyone would enjoy a huge fish fry. And everything tasted great. I think nowadays we are a little spoiled with good fish and good food. Having said that, I don't think I would eat a carp today.

PS. I would always watch my grandmother clean the fish. Those catfish were always tough customers, flailing about after their heads were cut off.

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted on Sep 15, 2017 - 09:36 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12369

QUOTE (Drew @ Jul 15, 2017 - 08:38 am)
It's weird how some say largemouth are way better. And others say it's the opposite. Some say whitefish 'have to' be smoked. And if a brookie is over 30cm they're not good!!! ( that last one is definitely a crazy thing to say!!)

I know a guy who says pickerel bigger than 3 pounds taste like old shoe leather!??(how he knows, I'm not sure)...the ones around 8 lbs are delicious around here!

A different guy told me once..."the fish out of _____lake, you have to bleed them out as soon as you catch them...cut all around the gills, and leave them on the ice...if you don't do that, you can't even stand eating them!" --- seriously!?

I like when people say they like ______, cause it's not 'too fishy' tasting....wait?!...why are you eating fish then, if you don't like 'fishy taste'?

It's all pre-conceived notions, and how you were brought up, I believe.

I've personally eaten most of our common local species of fish. They're all good. There may be examples of poorer quality fish in any species, due to their preferred feed, or location, whether large or small. I do agree that small to medium size fish of most species are better to eat than bigger ones - however; I've never eaten any size of any species which were no good or bad tasting.

Pretty much all a personal preference thing.
And it depends a lot on your fishing success.

Here here my thoughts to a T

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted on Sep 16, 2017 - 09:34 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Dee004 @ Sep 15, 2017 - 10:36 pm)
QUOTE (Drew @ Jul 15, 2017 - 08:38 am)
It's weird how some say largemouth are way better.  And others say it's the opposite.  Some say whitefish 'have to' be smoked.  And if a brookie is over 30cm they're not good!!! ( that last one is definitely a crazy thing to say!!)

I know a guy who says pickerel bigger than 3 pounds taste like old shoe leather!??(how he knows, I'm not sure)...the ones around 8 lbs are delicious around here!

A different guy told me once..."the fish out of _____lake, you have to bleed them out as soon as you catch them...cut all around the gills, and leave them on the ice...if you don't do that, you can't even stand eating them!"  ---  seriously!?

I like when people say they like ______,  cause it's not 'too fishy' tasting....wait?!...why are you eating fish then, if you don't like 'fishy taste'?

It's all pre-conceived notions, and how you were brought up, I believe.

I've personally eaten most of our common local species of fish.  They're all good.  There may be examples of poorer quality fish in any species, due to their preferred feed, or location,  whether large or small.  I do agree that small to medium size fish of most species are better to eat than bigger ones - however; I've never eaten any size of any species which were no good or bad tasting.

Pretty much all a personal preference thing.
And it depends a lot on your fishing success.

Here here my thoughts to a T

Yes indeed!!

PMEmail Poster
Bapsie
Posted on Sep 22, 2017 - 02:05 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 13942

You guys serious? Hook tools are like 1-5$ max. Got one for 65cents at crappy tire. Slide it down the line till it hits the hook. Give it a push, keep the line tight and pull the tool and hook out together. Pick one up, won't save them all but it will def save a few a season

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted on Oct 09, 2017 - 07:41 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

As an adult I don't eat bass but as a kid I caught and ate bass regularly.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted on Oct 10, 2017 - 01:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (HuskyMusky @ Aug 28, 2017 - 10:55 pm)

haha. I think I once asked the very same question. Don't recall I got a clear-cut answer. Afterall there is no answer to this dilemma, or are there any?

Quote from the 2017 fishing regulations summary (which spells everything as clear as water):

* Only fish that are in such a condition that they will survive may be released. Releasing a fish that will not survive and allowing the flesh of that fish to be wasted is an offence.

* Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water

Unquote

Now! You inadvertently caught a out of season fish, and once you landed the fish, unfortunately the fish was no longer in such a condition that it would survive!

PMEmail PosterYahoo
icecy
Posted on Oct 11, 2017 - 09:40 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 4685

I also don't think bass taste is much different from other fish like perch and walleye.

This post has been edited by icecy on Oct 11, 2017 - 09:47 pm

PMEmail Poster
papafishr
Posted on Oct 12, 2017 - 08:16 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13142

I'll eat the occasional bass now and then. Walleye & Perch are tops IMO.

PMEmail Poster
wishin fishin
Posted on Oct 16, 2017 - 12:49 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7314

I eat them occassionaly if I'm planning a fish fry. I find that they taste better in early spring when the water is still very cold. I east exclusively pan fish - bullhead, bluegill, perch, smelt, crappie, walleye. I keep all and give away, most people don't notice the difference in taste among out fish species.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: «« < 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace