Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Motor problems, DOH!
AlconaKevin
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 09:50 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 1397

Was out yesterday and had my motor die almost totally die on my when up to full throttle for a few minutes. Starts great, idles great but when i give it gas now it does not give full power.
I have two tanks, so tried switching tanks with same results.

I am supposed to take it to a cottage next week so getting it in a looked at is gonna be near impossible by then.

Any suggestions i could try at home?

Motor:
1990 60HP Merc, 3 cyl.

It was running GREAT 2 weeks ago, with no issues at all. I keep in in my garage and it has been there since then.

PMEmail Poster
Sneaky Pete
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 10:41 am

Fry

Member No.: 2920

I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like not enough fuel is getting through your carburetor to support the higher RPMs. Considering your time constraints, I think YouTube could be your best source of information unless there's a backyard mechanic nearby. There are many videos there describing similar issues to yours. I hope you can get it sorted out before your trip.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 12:51 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 656

If its a four stroke check the oil level. Might be too high.

PMEmail Poster
keswickman
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 02:23 pm

Fry

Member No.: 3746

Hi 3 things come to mind. If oil injected low oil will reduce rpm to prevent damage, blocked water intake will overheat and cause reduced rpm for same reason, and lastly fuel line collapse or bulb failure reducing fuel flow. I've had all of the above. Fuel line was hardest to find with bad bulb valves restricting fuel flow. Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 02:34 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

Hey Kevin

Have you checked your fuel filter?

When I took the boating course to get my boating card, the class was conducted by a marine mechanic and he said that a high percentage of the motor problems he sees are caused by filters that need to be changed.

I change mine very year. It's a $2.00 item at Princess Auto.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 03:23 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

when you give it throttle does it sound like it is speeding up but in reality the boat comes to a hault?

PMEmail Poster
AlconaKevin
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 04:02 pm

World Record Trout

Thanks, i am suspecting fuel.
Oil is half full
Impeller is working, good water flow.

It starts easy and idles great...normal up to about quarter throttle or so. Runs fine no shuddering but now thete is not enough power to trim out.
I am going to check filter tonight.
I did notice prime ball stayed hard.

I was running a week ago with no issues...starting and running great.
Some suggested changing the plugs, it is a 3 cyl fuel injection.

PMEmail Poster
AlconaKevin
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 04:06 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (dmorrs35 @ Aug 15, 2017 - 03:23 pm)
when you give it throttle does it sound like it is speeding up but in reality the boat comes to a hault?

I think i know where u r going with this. I plan to remove prop to see if there are signs of slippage.
It runs fine and consistent...just a massive loss of power.

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 04:45 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12333

dirty carb,give it a good dose of seafoam in the gas tank.

PMEmail Poster
AlconaKevin
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 05:05 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (plott hound @ Aug 15, 2017 - 04:45 pm)
dirty carb,give it a good dose of seafoam in the gas tank.

Is fuel injection and i run seafoam through every spring.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 06:06 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8190

I have same era Johnson 25. Had that problem on and off for years. Rebuilt carb numerous times. High speed jet must have had crud in it. Would work for a short while, and do the same again. Finally cleaned carb out again, and added 2 fuel filters, where there were none from the factory.

One on the pressure side of fuel pump, and another immediately before the carb. Then found that my new hard plastic fuel line/bulb had been falling apart from the inside, releasing junk pieces into fuel. Put my old softer, rubber line/bulb back on, and the motor hasn't skipped a beat since.

Long story to say - clean carb completely, and add at least 1 fuel filter as close to the carb as possible.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 08:50 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10908

Had the same issue with a Evinrude once. Turned out to be some particles in the carb. Being fuel injected I would be looking at the air intake. Possible you have fuel over load if the air can not get in. Either way it's fuel or air issues I would think.

PMEmail Poster
pandakiller
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 09:22 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13176

being f/i i wonder if it has a throttle position sensor ? and if it might be bad, could also be a vacuum leak have you done a compression test on all cylinders ?
what kind of fuel do you use? if its regular gas it may have ethanol and perhaps has some water in it and that could've affected both tanks ? funny thing as I'm writing this i remember my repair manual is sitting beside me a quick check shows yes you do have a t.p.s and yes they do go out and can be rectified with a multi meter also your fuel pressure regulator could be out can also be a faulty fuel pump you should have an "on-board computer self-diagnostic system "first check all components, connections, wires and vacuum hoses check for loose connections and corroded wires etc first could also be rotten fuel (acc to the trouble shoot section ) reading further the most common failure is a fuel pressure regulator. the most common things affecting drive ability are: dirty fuel filter , and stale gas ...

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Aug 16, 2017 - 12:25 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2396

I'm having the same issue with a 50hp merc. Cutting out when hitting full RPMs. Noticed it was leaking gas out of a small hole in the back of the engine that might be a drainage hole. Still can't find the main leak though. Life gets in the way and haven't had a chance to put the time in. Are you leaking gas at all? Mine is coming out of a small hole below the trim switch. Have a thread about it a few threads down.

PMEmail Poster
AlconaKevin
Posted: Aug 16, 2017 - 05:19 pm

World Record Trout

I was able to convince a guy to look at it and let me know.
Fingers crossed.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace