Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Does the OFAH represent us as anglers?, Does the OFAH represent us as anglers?

Does the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters represent us as anglers?
Yes, they do an excellent job [ 4 ]  [10.26%]
Yes, they do a decent enough job [ 10 ]  [25.64%]
I don't pay attention [ 11 ]  [28.21%]
I don't think they are important to anglers [ 2 ]  [5.13%]
No, they do a fairly bad job [ 7 ]  [17.95%]
No, they do a horrible job [ 5 ]  [12.82%]
Total Votes: 39
Guests cannot vote 
ForrestGumpFishing
Posted on Sep 21, 2017 - 08:05 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12707

I am just wondering how the angling community feels about the OFAH.

maybe comment the reason you answered the way you did

my opinion: No, they do a fairly bad job

Why: I feel they cozy up to MNR too much, the fact that they are not fighting against new bait regulations to me feels like betrayal. If they think it will actually help invasive species etc, why not make rules about boat entering new waterbodys and enforce them. Why the focus on anglers specifically.

PMEmail Poster
fishhead7
Posted on Sep 22, 2017 - 12:58 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14568

I am not sure what you are hearing, but the OFAH spoke out against the MNR's proposals. See their comments here: OFAH on bait. In fact, a quick Google search shows that they were the only group to question the MNR on the proposals that would affect anglers, although there were lots of voices from environmentalist groups and others who thought the proposals weren't strong enough in restricting anglers. It doesn't look like a decision has been made by the government, but if there are any positive changes for us as anglers you can bet it was the OFAH who made the difference. Standing up for anglers against bad policy and those groups who want to restrict/eliminate fishing is the reason I think they are important group for us to support in Ontario.

PMEmail Poster
ForrestGumpFishing
Posted on Sep 22, 2017 - 02:20 pm

Smolt Trout

I have to ask, do you work for them? It almost appears you joined just to comment... I was in contact with them in June and there fisheries biologist couldn't suggest anything other then the webpage where they had said it was too restrictive, but failed to show they were doing anything else..

This is much better then I thought

I would prefer them to be making alot more noise. I would hope they would be helping more to organise us to speak against it.

It still seems to me they are giving the MNR too easy of a time.

I came so close to buying a membership, before the baitfish stuff.

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted on Sep 22, 2017 - 02:29 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

Why go after the OFAH and posts all these negative polls is besides me. A least there is someone out there who is even trying to help us fishermen. We get so little support, everyone wants us off the lakes and out of the way. Rules and rules posted against us lonely fishermen, no trespassing no fishing no launching no looking no no no get the hell out you dirty rotten pathetic smelly fisherman! At least these guys are trying to help us, they get my vote everyday and always. Only friends we have for gods sake!

PMEmail Poster
ForrestGumpFishing
Posted on Sep 22, 2017 - 03:29 pm

Smolt Trout

the government builds roads and you use them so since the government helps you a little bit in one way they must be perfect and no accountability is needed right? <---your logic

I wouldn't say I go after them. I understand they are one of the few organizations saying they are trying to help us, I am not saying they are useless, just gauging whether it is just me that feels betrayed by them and sharing an opinion.

I have been paying more attention lately someone close to me works there now too, I am bringing attention to these issues. I know from the person close to me it seems as though they cozy up to the MNR and such... as a bad relationship would make it harder for the, to switch jobs and get government pensions

If you look at the wording of the poll it is actually fairly unbiased. In the post as I asked for peoples reasons, so I posted my opinion in addition.

Anglers give them what almost 70$ a year or more, and I personally don't think they are doing much to help us at all. Maybe the better route is to start another organisation, organise more locally, I don't know. I was interested just to see peoples opinions. Its not like I am calling for them to be defunded. My personal funds certainly won't go to them until I feel they are helping anglers.

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted on Sep 22, 2017 - 03:48 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

The more we bicker amoung ourselves the better it will be for the powers that be to grab us by the throats and kill the angler rights even more. Butt whatever you want to break down the only doors we have then go ahead.. Bash away, just saying it looks like a witch hunt to me.

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted on Sep 22, 2017 - 07:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

I have been a member for years, I do not work for them. The reason I like OFAH is they offer several learning opportunities for people to participate with, they don't shy away from issues of interest, and they are always their as a voice for the sportsman. Also they participate with restoring, replenishing and stopping invasive species, promoting safe practices so on so on. I have never won anything in any of the draws, or attended any of the dinners or meetings. To look at a comparrison may be, I belonged to a union for years, paid my dues, bought tickets for the fundraisers, seldom attended any meetings, never personally needed to be represented by them, but they were always there negotiating for our safety, promoting the work we did, keeping our interest in the for front.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted on Sep 22, 2017 - 08:22 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

I have mixed feelings about the OFAH. I have been a member for years and only ever asked for their help once.

That was when the MTO closed off the access to the shale beach at Craigleith.

I felt the OFAH efforts were half hearted and lukewarm in terms of trying to fight to keep the access open.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted on Sep 24, 2017 - 07:11 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4441

I'm an off an on member of the OFAH, depending on which promotions they offer on any given year lol. But by keeping a watchful eye and being critical of the powers that be, can never be a bad thing imho. Run Forest Run, if they catch you I'll be right behind you lol. Seriously I think you're bang on brother, we are the little guys, and seem to be easily targeted. I believe most groups that claim to protect the little guy, are in thick with government looking after Numero uno. It's the would we live in unfortunately.

PMEmail Poster
ForrestGumpFishing
Posted on Sep 26, 2017 - 10:07 am

Smolt Trout

This has been a good discussion guys, hasn't deteriorated to much yet!

They have a role to play, I am bringing attention to where they can do that role better. I have attended several OFAH functions as someone close to me works there. I know about all of the work the do. And I wouldn't say I oppose the organisation at all.

If the OFAH felt that they were loosing angler support due to a spotlight on this issue maybe they will fight a little harder for us.

A good relationship with the MNR is a good thing but in some cases they need to stand up for us a little more.

PMEmail Poster
ForrestGumpFishing
Posted on Sep 26, 2017 - 10:19 am

Smolt Trout

I use live bait alot more in winter then summer.

I feel like anglers are going to be a little more mad when they start realising how it could impact fishing on hard water.

PMEmail Poster
GrandRiverWill
Posted on Sep 26, 2017 - 11:38 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12632

QUOTE (ForrestGumpFishing @ Sep 26, 2017 - 11:19 am)
I use live bait alot more in winter then summer.

I feel like anglers are going to be a little more mad when they start realising how it could impact fishing on hard water.

Yeah you're completely right.

But, I still think the proposed bait fish regulations are for better than worse.

PMEmail Poster
Whynot
Posted on Sep 26, 2017 - 06:55 pm

Fry

Member No.: 12921

I don't have enough experience with OFAH and angling to comment specifically, but I do know of many organizations that try to work with and/or influence government. Over and over again the organizations that work collaboratively ultimately have the most influence. If OFAH fights everything, they'll have 0 influence and be seen as nothing more than a road block. Just like life, you gotta pick you battles.

I understand that to many anglers the bait fishing topic is a sword worth falling on, but I think you can see from posts on here that the broader community isn't clearly aligned one way or another. OFAH may be reflecting that in their position on bait fishing.

Food for thought.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace