Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Musky in Simcoe, Anyone here catch or target them?
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 - 10:50 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9047

Just wanted to ask if anyone has caught any musky on Simcoe? I know they are there, but never really heard of anyone targeting or catching them.

If you've caught or targeted them, I'd love to hear your experiences.

Simcoe is vast, and I have no doubt they are a tough nut to crack, but there must be some monsters out there.

Share your musky experiences here please!

PMEmail Poster
OutdoorDave
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 - 11:18 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10989

Musky are closed year round for Lake Simcoe so I don't think anybody would be targetting them (specifically). Not to say it's never happened, but I don't think too many people are going to admit they've targeted them.

I've been trying to land my first one ever, fishing down in Niagara, no luck yet, but the season aint over!

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 - 12:25 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10908

As per the MNR there has never been a confirmed incidental catch or picture of a Musky caught in Simcoe since the reintroduction. There have been lots of rumours of incidental catches.

They are not open to fish for on Simcoe as they are closed all year round.

PMEmail Poster
1aquaholic
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 - 01:23 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12970

Not in Simcoe but got a few of these this spring from a river connected to couchiching so just a hop skip and a jump to simcoe. One afternoon got 4 in a matter of about 2 hours.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Sep 24, 2017 - 04:53 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9047

Thanks for the input folks, and great pic!

Not a musky guy, so have never really considered fishing for them, but was curious enough to ask. I'd guess the fact they are closed all year is a good indicator of the population being scarce.

With all the feeder fish present, and the huge amount of water, I'd expect them to do somewhat well. Perhaps the strong competition from the pike population might make it hard to grow into a healthy musky fishery? I'd think cooks would be an ideal habitat for them, however this is coming from a musky virgin, so my opinion could be flawed. Lol

I'm yet to catch one... but considering doing some drop off trolling in GB this fall to see if I can hit a lucky number while seeking out some notherns.

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 07:33 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

The muskie restoration project has reintroduced muskie to lake simcoe, but they are closed year round.

that being said, a few people have a special permit that allows them to target muskies on lake simcoe. All I know is this is obtained through Muskies Canada. Not sure how you can get the permit though. I know a guide I went out with on the Belle River has a permit and has seen some big muskies and lost a mid 40s boatside. unless you have this permit, fishing muskies is illegal.

I saw a muskie through the ice on couchiching while it followed my perch up from 34fow to about 10' below the ice. was definitely not a pike because of the colours of it and the size of it.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace