Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How heavy is a 14' boat setup, Buying a vehicle, tow capacity?
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 09:58 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10053

Hey,

Looking at a new vehicle and while i don't currently have a boat I would like to get one in the next year or 2. I would probably go with a ~14' boat with a 25-40hp motor.

The vehicle options allow for 2000lbs or 3500lbs towing capacity, just trying to get an idea of how much a boat weighs and if i can get away with the 2000 lbs since you have to go up a trim level to get the bigger engine.

Thanks,

PMEmail Poster
scottburgess14
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 10:20 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12966

If i'm not mistaken, most boat and trailers with gear inside will be pushing 1500-2000 lbs on a 14' aluminum boat with an engine on there.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanburl
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 11:18 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 10360

It sounds like your looking for an SUV rather then a truck, a smaller SUV will be sufficient for a 14' aluminum unfurnished with a 25hp. I have a 06 Honda CRV and I tow my 16'6" legend side console with a 25hp no problem. The problems you run into with a small SUV is when you decide to go camping with your three buddies and want to bring the boat.. if that's what you plan on doing a few times a year go with a mid size truck!

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 12:07 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

My advise is to get something bigger than you think you need. You may be thinking of a 14' boat today, but next year you may be thinking of upgrading to 16'-18' unit or bigger setup. Better to just upgrade the boat and not vehicle too.

4x4/AWD/4WD is a huge benefit and may save you in the long run. There are many steep ramps and with only 2wd when it is wet out or if the ramp is gravel you may get caught spinning your wheels and not be able to pull the boat/trailer out.

By the sounds of it, you should be looking for a larger CUV or SUV. A 3500 lb towing capacity may just fit your needs. But I wouldn't go less IMO.

hope that helps.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 12:32 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (thanh @ Sep 28, 2017 - 12:07 pm)
My advise is to get something bigger than you think you need. You may be thinking of a 14' boat today, but next year you may be thinking of upgrading to 16'-18' unit or bigger setup. Better to just upgrade the boat and not vehicle too.

4x4/AWD/4WD is a huge benefit and may save you in the long run. There are many steep ramps and with only 2wd when it is wet out or if the ramp is gravel you may get caught spinning your wheels and not be able to pull the boat/trailer out.

By the sounds of it, you should be looking for a larger CUV or SUV. A 3500 lb towing capacity may just fit your needs. But I wouldn't go less IMO.

hope that helps.

Thanks all for the info kinda what i was expecting, since i don't even have a boat yet spending +%10 or 4-6k more is hard to justify...i could buy a boat with that $$. in a few years our second vehicle will need replacing so im hoping then ill be able to get something more capable at that point.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 01:02 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10908

I used to own a Princecraft 165sc with a 50 efi 4 stroke. The package with trailer no gas no gear was just under 1500lbs. With gas and gear under 1700lbs.

With 14' package towing could be done with a small SUV with a 2000lb towing capacity no issue. I would however add an after market transmission cooler as you would be towing in the upper range of the towing capacity.

A 40 hp 4 stroke Merc is 270 lbs. not to many 14' boats are rated to take that high of hp. Also a side console boat will weigh much more than a tiller style. If you went to a 16' side console than a 40hp will move it but not well as you would be at the bottom end of getting that boat on plane and moving it along well with any kind of load and gear in the boat.

I have been where you are and in the range your in and trust me either get a tiller fishing boat with the max size hp it can take or get a bigger side console boat with close to the max hp on it if you can't totally max it out.

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 01:50 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

Towing won't be a problem, but the boat ramp might be tricky.

PMEmail Poster
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 02:03 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12632

Get yourself a good'ol Toyota Tacoma and you can haul a good 6500 lbs.

Lots of room for your buddies and gear too.

They're a little pricey compared to similar trucks, but best damn truck I ever owned.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 02:11 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Be sure you know what you are getting when you purchase your new vehicle, the rated towing capacity is different from getting the factory tow package added in to adding a hitch after you purchase the vehicle ie. a factory included tow package may give you 2500lbs of towing capacity but if you add a hitch after you purchase the vehicle your towing capacity would be more like only 1500lbs. Then there is the rad and tranny coolers you will need to consider as well if you do not get the factory tow package included.

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 03:44 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

If you are like most guys, your 14 footer just won't cut it in a couple of yrs, or less.
You will then be dreaming over a real sharp 16-18 ft/ 60-90HP unit with console. It will also be the one you just have to have to speed off to those far away hotspots (that is when you can turn your cap backwards and look cool haha).

When the happens, you will wish you had bought at least a 3,500 towing cap vehicle. Trust me bud, that is how it work.

The other members estimated weight totals are 'spot on' for a normal 14 footer with 20-25 hp motors, as I had one once, but then I just had to have a 17 footer with a big motor, etc etc etc...lol.

Good Luck & think forward.

PMEmail Poster
zvonk
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 05:10 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 122

QUOTE (GrandRiverWill @ Sep 28, 2017 - 02:03 pm)
Get yourself a good'ol Toyota Tacoma and you can haul a good 6500 lbs.

Lots of room for your buddies and gear too.

They're a little pricey compared to similar trucks, but best damn truck I ever owned.

x2 on that

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 05:37 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10908

In the past I would have been on board with the Tacoma but not now. 5 years ago they were the standard but now the are exactly the same as 5 years ago and other manufacturer have caught up and surpassed the Tacoma.

2017 Colorado. Better towing 7000 lbs. 8 speed tranny better for towing especially in grades and start up. Better fuel enconomy city and highway. Wider inside between the doors for all those buddies or in my case kids.
BTW I own a 2017 Colorado 4 door extended bed Z71.....can you tell I love it. Lol

Only thing hands down the Tacoma is better on is the ground clearance and approach angles for off roading. I don't off road so that didn't win points for me.

Either way both are great trucks though.

PMEmail Poster
Grasshopper
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 07:48 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7562

Years ago, I had a Nissan Sentra (5-speed manual) and inherited a used 14' with a 20hp and a home-made trailer. The little Nissan performed miracles for me! It did the job for me at the time.
Looking back now, I wondered how that little car ever performed so well.
Maybe I was pushing her a bit too hard!

My Ford pick up is the best vehicle I have purchased thus far! It has the torque to pull a boat and trailer and you would never even notice you were pulling something.
The rear part of the truck is awesome as that is where I store my fishing gear under lock and key.
The inside of my truck does NOT smell fishy anymore and my passengers don't even know I use my truck for fishing!

Soon, I will be in the market to replace my Ford...... I am looking at the Colorado as they look pretty awesome. The Titan would be better but it also comes with a heavier price tag!

Just my 2 cents worth!

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 08:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

Belive it or not the Hyundai elantra will tow 3000lbs if you're just looking for something cheap and small to pull the boat.

If you want a little bit more room move up to the Hyundai Tuscan. I have a v4 Tuscan and it tows my 16ft 50hp Legand at better milage and lower revs then my v8 Dakota.

As one person said above though it is the launches that are tricky. I cheaped out and got the 2wd and I highly recommend against that. Got stuck on a dirt launch once and couldn't get my self out.

Hope this helps.

Fork

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 28, 2017 - 11:36 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Putaforkinya @ Sep 28, 2017 - 08:03 pm)
Belive it or not the Hyundai elantra will tow 3000lbs if you're just looking for something cheap and small to pull the boat.

If you want a little bit more room move up to the Hyundai Tuscan. I have a v4 Tuscan and it tows my 16ft 50hp Legand at better milage and lower revs then my v8 Dakota.

As one person said above though it is the launches that are tricky. I cheaped out and got the 2wd and I highly recommend against that. Got stuck on a dirt launch once and couldn't get my self out.

Hope this helps.

Fork

Must have changed the hyundais the tucson only does 1000lbs now and the elantra doesnt have a rating i can find anywhere other than "not recommended"

This one has to be a family vehicle as well so i can't get a truck

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace