Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How heavy is a 14' boat setup, Buying a vehicle, tow capacity?
thanh
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 05:53 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3415

Don't forget, it's not all about towing power. It is also about stopping power. Smaller trailers don't have trailer brakes. You are reliant on the breaks of your car to stop all the weight pushing forward when downhill. Anyone with towing experience will know what I mean. Keep that into consideration.

Bigger vehicle normally equals to bigger brakes from the factory and engineered specifically to what it is rated to tow. Some vehicles have 2 tow ratings, one for a trailer with breaks and one without trailer brakes.

This is a good thread for people that are looking for info on towing for the first time. A lot of good info have been said by many above.

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 07:56 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Sep 29, 2017 - 12:36 am)
QUOTE (Putaforkinya @ Sep 28, 2017 - 08:03 pm)
Belive it or not the Hyundai elantra will tow 3000lbs if you're just looking for something cheap and small to pull the boat.

If you want a little bit more room move up to the Hyundai Tuscan.  I have a v4 Tuscan and it tows my 16ft 50hp Legand at better milage and lower revs then my v8 Dakota.

As one person said above though it is the launches that are tricky. I cheaped out and got the 2wd and I highly recommend against that. Got stuck on a dirt launch once and couldn't get my self out.

Hope this helps.

Fork

Must have changed the hyundais the tucson only does 1000lbs now and the elantra doesnt have a rating i can find anywhere other than "not recommended"

This one has to be a family vehicle as well so i can't get a truck

I haven't heard that. I will look into it. Mine is a 2014 so that is strange if they have changed it in that little bit. Even if they have could you get an older one?

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 07:57 am

World Record Trout

A very good point by than. Many people just look at Towing and don't look at stopping which is just as important if not more

Edit.

Yup you're right. Looks like in 2015 they switched to 1000lbs or 2000lbs with trailer breaks. I'll bet that to Than's point something happened with stopping and they changed thier rating.

In 2017 they went for a more eco friendly car and changed it again.

When I have a second I'll look into more options for u.
I think I know of a few other options but just want to double check.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 08:02 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (thanh @ Sep 29, 2017 - 05:53 am)
Don't forget, it's not all about towing power. It is also about stopping power. Smaller trailers don't have trailer brakes. You are reliant on the breaks of your car to stop all the weight pushing forward when downhill. Anyone with towing experience will know what I mean. Keep that into consideration.

Bigger vehicle normally equals to bigger brakes from the factory and engineered specifically to what it is rated to tow. Some vehicles have 2 tow ratings, one for a trailer with breaks and one without trailer brakes.

This is a good thread for people that are looking for info on towing for the first time. A lot of good info have been said by many above.

Thanks for all the info i really know nothing about trailers. Good to know about the brakes, they don't make small trailers with brakes or they are just not common?
As far as i've read the differences in this vehicle with/without the tow package is minimal (hitch and anti sway chip installed at factory only way to do 3500 per manuf) They don't mention any transmission or cooling upgrades.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 08:09 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Putaforkinya @ Sep 29, 2017 - 07:56 am)
QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Sep 29, 2017 - 12:36 am)
QUOTE (Putaforkinya @ Sep 28, 2017 - 08:03 pm)
Belive it or not the Hyundai elantra will tow 3000lbs if you're just looking for something cheap and small to pull the boat.

If you want a little bit more room move up to the Hyundai Tuscan. I have a v4 Tuscan and it tows my 16ft 50hp Legand at better milage and lower revs then my v8 Dakota.

As one person said above though it is the launches that are tricky. I cheaped out and got the 2wd and I highly recommend against that. Got stuck on a dirt launch once and couldn't get my self out.

Hope this helps.

Fork

Must have changed the hyundais the tucson only does 1000lbs now and the elantra doesnt have a rating i can find anywhere other than "not recommended"

This one has to be a family vehicle as well so i can't get a truck

I haven't heard that. I will look into it. Mine is a 2014 so that is strange if they have changed it in that little bit. Even if they have could you get an older one?

I think i asked the guy when i was at Hyundai as well and he just gave me a blank stare lol. We are set on a new vehicle this time my current vehicle is a getting up over 240k now and I'd like a fews year of no/low maintenance on the new purchase.

also im planning on winning the lottery in the next couple years so I can always upgrade then

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 09:19 am

Trophy Trout

@Kingphoenix. I've been in your situation a few years ago looking for a small/midsize family vehicle that won't break the bank and can act as a tow vehicle for the toys without having to get a pickup truck. My choices were just a handful of decent CUV/SUV's that can manage both jobs. A few years ago I narrowed it down to a few makes/models that fitted my needs. Santa Fe sport 2.0T, Ford Escape 2.0T, Kia Sorento V6, and a few Jeep models. (AWD/4x4 for all). There are probably a few more but they were not appealing to me. However, I really did like 1 pickup tuck, the GMC canyon and Chevy Colorado with the diesel engine and 4x4. But it was a bit out of my $$$ range.

I'm no expert in all this as well, but willing to share my past experience/research with all if it helps someone in any way.

Good luck on your search, don't rush it and do your homework before pulling the trigger.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 12:23 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (thanh @ Sep 29, 2017 - 09:19 am)
@Kingphoenix. I've been in your situation a few years ago looking for a small/midsize family vehicle that won't break the bank and can act as a tow vehicle for the toys without having to get a pickup truck. My choices were just a handful of decent CUV/SUV's that can manage both jobs. A few years ago I narrowed it down to a few makes/models that fitted my needs. Santa Fe sport 2.0T, Ford Escape 2.0T, Kia Sorento V6, and a few Jeep models. (AWD/4x4 for all). There are probably a few more but they were not appealing to me. However, I really did like 1 pickup tuck, the GMC canyon and Chevy Colorado with the diesel engine and 4x4. But it was a bit out of my $$$ range.

I'm no expert in all this as well, but willing to share my past experience/research with all if it helps someone in any way.

Good luck on your search, don't rush it and do your homework before pulling the trigger.

Thanks, you have been very helpful. Looking around not very many small SUV's can tow anymore, It's one of those models that you mentioned, didn't want this thread to devolve into a discussion on models and manufacturers.

Wife hates that i've taken so long to research lol I really wish buying a vehicle was easier process, i hate having to negotiate.

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 12:25 pm

World Record Trout

Ok did some research here's my 3 top picks for u in terms of budget , towing and room for a family.

1 dodge journey. Rated for 2500lbs, not overly pricey and comes with optional 3rd row.

2Hyundai Santa fe 5000lbs

3 Chevy traverse. Rated for 5200lbs

4 Volkswagen tiguan 2200lbs

And 4 suburbu outback 3000lbs although a little more pricey then I think it should be.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Fork

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 01:43 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

I have a Ford Escape with a 2L Turbo, rated to pull 3500 lbs.
I pull only about 2000 lbs, and you don't even know its there.
Just an option as you use it as a family vehicle too. You can put 5 people in it as well.
Just a thought,

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster
Nado
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 02:13 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 8095

I'm not surprised the Santa fe has such a large towing capacity, I took one for a test drive when we bought our last car and it felt like I was driving a truck. If I was in your place I would definitely consider a used Santa fe.

PMEmail Poster
Huntandfish
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 02:52 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 1780

I read all the replys and not one mentioned unibody vrs full frame for pulling, also wheel base is a huge factor why you see more trucks pulling trailers than SUV.s. Cheap out now and you could pay dearly later, load 5 guys in a small SUV pulling a 2500lb boat and see how it handles at 100kms an hour.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 03:31 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Dodge caravan.. Canadian value package...3500lbs towing..
I got a quote just over 20,000.. But had to negotiate hard...
Brand new... 2017... I do have friend's in the business and that certainly helped.. Buy at the end of the month when they are trying to meet their goals..
Good luck..

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 04:38 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Sep 29, 2017 - 03:31 pm)
Dodge caravan.. Canadian value package...3500lbs towing..
I got a quote just over 20,000.. But had to negotiate hard...
Brand new... 2017... I do have friend's in the business and that certainly helped.. Buy at the end of the month when they are trying to meet their goals..
Good luck..

one issue, they are only 2wd. imagine towing in the snow/slick conditions with that. it can barely move on its own in the snow, let alone a load on the back acting as an anchor. lol

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 05:06 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

I've been towing a boat for thirteen years and used gravel ramps , grassy and sandy ramps and have never had a problem pulling it out Now if your talking about snow and ice that's a hole different ball game. I've seen four wheel drive vehicles have problems in those kind of conditions.. I would say 75% of boats are already stored away when that time of year is on us...

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 05:21 pm

Trophy Trout

^ true enough and experience goes a long way. 13 years you have seen it all and know what to avoid to not get yourself in a bad situation. But new to towing is a little different. It all depends on what/when you need to tow i guess. But today a boat and tomorrow an ATV or snow machine for ice fishing. I would love a mini van, they are so versatile. There just aren't any "affordable or reasonably priced" awd ones out there brand new.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace