Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How heavy is a 14' boat setup, Buying a vehicle, tow capacity?
porkpie
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 05:40 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4287

My old 16 foot Lund with 50hp outboard fully rigged for fishing weighed 1490lbs across the scales at the local dump. It did not have an internal tank so that was just with one portable tank. That boat was basically an earlier model Lund rebel, basically an SSV with floors, rod locker and livewell as well as a couple batteries etc. I could tow it no problem with a 4 cylinder SUV. Sketchy boat ramps where a problem though. And there wasn't a whole lot of margin for error.

PMEmail Poster
onthehook
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 05:46 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7356

Lots of very valid points listed so far. I guess the biggest thing, seeing as it hasn't been mentioned is the budget you have a for the vehicle. My buddy just picked up a Ram 1500 with the 5.7Hemi (yes gas guzzler, but not as bad as it has the MDS which shuts down cylinders using less gas), towing package and a few bells and whistles for $32,500 plus taxes. Loads of power, can tow a whole bunch, has a wide wheel base and his has the full size cab. Great for travel companions and tons of room in the bed for gear. I am not a Dodge sales guy, but do like what they offer in their trucks for the dollar.

I have the 1500 with the 3.5, get 10.9/100L and find it has ample power to pull my 19ft fibreglass boat with 4.3L Merc.....lots of weight.

Just more food for thought.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 29, 2017 - 08:11 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8190

14' aluminum, wide/deep Starcraft, with floor. Tiller handle 25 Johnson 2 stroke. I would estimate my boat to weigh 300lb.(I can flip it for winter in my yard by myself) motor maybe 150. Trailer, I dunno maybe 225 and gear/ gas 125.

So 800 lbs?

My civic pulls it and stops it well.
Rarely spins a tire on a gravel launch.
No jokes....all 115 horsepower and probably 9 ft-lb of torque that it has.
It is a standard, and I do need to keep some rpms up to not lose speed on certain hills, but the same can be said when there's more than two adults in the vehicle with no trailer.

Just an example of what 'can' work. Obviously it's not perfect, but I commute a fair distance for work, and need the mileage.
Besides, who else on here gets 40mpg towing, on the way to the boat launch.

A Toyota Tundra 5.7 would be my first choice,
But a 1.7 civic 5 speed is a close 2nd.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 - 12:28 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Sep 29, 2017 - 03:31 pm)
Dodge caravan.. Canadian value package...3500lbs towing..
I got a quote just over 20,000.. But had to negotiate hard...
Brand new... 2017... I do have friend's in the business and that certainly helped.. Buy at the end of the month when they are trying to meet their goals..
Good luck..

I have a 2010 caravan....i wouldnt tow anything with it. Brakes are already awful on it i had to do them almost annually.

PMEmail Poster
Eforbes_ca
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 - 07:46 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14430

I would say it's more preference as to what you get. I pull a 16' Doral bowrider with 60 hp Johnson. Has internal 75 l tank. My primary tow vehicle is a 2wd ranger 4cyl 5 speed. But also tow it without any issue with a Ford escape awd. The escape is easier to launch the boat but as it's the wife's car I don't get to use it as much. So I'd say buy what the wife wants to keep her happy and she'll let you get a boat of your choice

PMEmail Poster
Eforbes_ca
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 - 08:07 am

Egg

Member No.: 14430

I use to build boats and boat trailers. An average single axle boat trailer is rated for 2200 lbs. A 14' boat with 25hp motor would only weigh roughly 800 lbs. My nephew pulls that size boat with a Toyota echo. And friends of mine use a neon. Just have to be sure of boat launch. Dirt boat launch you'd want an awd but a cement launch you can use almost anything

PMEmail Poster
Mozzy
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 - 10:14 am

Egg

Member No.: 14350

My 15' side console with 40hp merc outboard with trailer all weighs in at around 1000 lbs.

I'll echo the sentiments of the others who recommended the Tacoma. I was able to justify the spend by the fact that you probably can't find another vehicle that comes anywhere close to retaining it's value the way it does.

PMEmail Poster
Kato C
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 - 11:40 am

Fry

Member No.: 12232

I have Yoda 4runner - born to tow.. You won't regret...

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 01, 2017 - 12:31 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Sep 30, 2017 - 12:28 am)
Brand new... 2017... I do have friend's in the business and that certainly helped.. Buy at the end of the month when they are trying to meet their goals..
Good luck..

I have a 2010 caravan....i wouldnt tow anything with it. Brakes are already awful on it i had to do them almost annually.

They have gotten the break issues straightened out 2013/14... Better rotters and harder pads as well I heard the changes to master cylinder and lines...
Some people just don't know how to drive properly.. You see it all the time, people racing up to stop signs and stop lights..
Even on the highway people on the brakes all the time. We watched one guy on the highway hit his brakes 22 times when I only had to hit them once it the same time frame... All this excessive braking and hard stopping will kill your rotters not to mention you will go thru pads 3 times as quick.. Add towing a boat with these bad habits and you'll be replacing your brakes every couple of years...
If you are only pulling a boat and have no other things to pull like a RV trailer a truck may be over kill. That's the situation I'm in, would love to get a truck but can't justify it.. One day when I get my RV trailer then a truck will be a necessity but till then all keep saving the extra gas money a truck will suck up..
Keep us informed on how you make out..
Cheers Dave/Fishmagnet...

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 09:59 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

You can't expect any vehicle to do everything.
Get the one you want to carry people and pay for a boat slip.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 03:15 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Oct 01, 2017 - 12:31 pm)
QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Sep 30, 2017 - 12:28 am)
Good luck..

They have gotten the break issues straightened out 2013/14... Better rotters and harder pads as well I heard the changes to master cylinder and lines...
Some people just don't know how to drive properly.. You see it all the time, people racing up to stop signs and stop lights..
Even on the highway people on the brakes all the time. We watched one guy on the highway hit his brakes 22 times when I only had to hit them once it the same time frame... All this excessive braking and hard stopping will kill your rotters not to mention you will go thru pads 3 times as quick.. Add towing a boat with these bad habits and you'll be replacing your brakes every couple of years...
If you are only pulling a boat and have no other things to pull like a RV trailer a truck may be over kill. That's the situation I'm in, would love to get a truck but can't justify it.. One day when I get my RV trailer then a truck will be a necessity but till then all keep saving the extra gas money a truck will suck up..
Keep us informed on how you make out..
Cheers Dave/Fishmagnet...

Cant believe they took that long to fix the brake issue to be honest, biggest issue i've really had with it. I would get about 30-40k on them before needing to be replaced...if they didnt seize first. Pad warranties saved me a bit but still had to pay labour.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 04:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

You just can't beat the price on a caravan right now..

PMEmail Poster
Grasshopper
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 04:34 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7562

Ahhhhhhhh....Dodge Caravan........
Pay me now or pay me later!!!
Two months less a day AFTER the warrantee expired, the air condition compressor blows.... $1,200
Four months AFTER the warrantee expires, the brakes go...... $800
It's like the damn thing knows the warrantee has expired and it wants me to pay out-of-pocket for some new stuff.
I loved that Caravan!............... NOT!

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 06:55 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

I'm a licenced tech. If a Caravan suited my needs, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. They are by far the best in class vehicle for the money.

The brake issues mentioned above are NOT a design fault. The reason the brakes have a rad rap is because way too many techs don't service the caliper brackets properly when doing a brake job. If done properly, the brake job can and will easily last 80K or more depending on driving habits. I also advise my customers to use the parking brake frequently. By doing so, this keeps the rear brakes properly adjusted and doing their fair share of the work.

As for things failing as soon as the warranty expires, it must have been a few bad apples. I have customers with over 300K on them and other than normal maintenance, and maybe a tie rod, stabilizer link etc, no big repair bills.

The Dodge Journey is very similar vehicle. Same braking system too. I recently bought his and hers Journeys.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 09:46 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

it really comes down to your budget and your regular daily commute. If you don't commute far daily for work... a pick up is the ultimate outdoors vehicle without question. You can get a new F150 4x4 crew cab on the road after tax for under $28,000 if you don't care for all the bells and whistles.

Personally I am looking for a used tocoma or ranger just for hunting and fishing. Would be nice having a truck that the boat trailer does not come off all season long! Second vehicle insurance with just one primary driver isn't that bad. Maintenance.... I know a few people who oddly like doing things for me in return for a fishing trip or two.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace