Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Not Selling My Boat--Afterall, Not Moving to Nova Scotia--Afterall
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 04:48 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Earlier this I posted that my wife and I planned to move to NS and I was selling a lot of my fishing and ice fishing gear.

At that time, quite a number of members expressed an interest in my boat if and when I was ready to sell.

As it turns out, we are not going to move.

We couldn't find a resale home we liked or could renovate and when we explored the cost of a "new build" it was excessive relative to resales.

We are spoiled by our existing home here as we designed the house ourselves and had it built 18 years ago. We have everything we want, where we want it.

We really didn't have to move so here we shall stay and I will be keeping my boat.

At 75 years of age, my wife has convinced me to curtail my ice fishing activities, and since I sold my augers, spuds, other gear and Smitty sled, it is easy to do.

As she pointed out, at my age and as I'm not the fittest person, and walking out on the ice, often on my own and pulling a Smitty with 40lbs of gear was not the wisest thing to do.

I thought about getting a snowmobile or ATV, but then I need a trailer and where do I put things?

So now, if someone invites me to go along where they pull all the heavy stuff and the snow is not too deep for me to walk or if they can give me a ride out, I can take out a few rods and lures and should be OK.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 06:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

That is probably the smart thing to do.

PM
mydogbites
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 06:21 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

No problem Ralph, I'll pull the sled and gear, and even upgrade you a bit to sit in a warm portable. Now the hard part is finding the time and even harder getting some solid ice.

PMEmail Poster
Tailfin
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 08:02 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 100

SDC, Glad to hear your staying. Maybe we should start a seniors club (75 and up) and get together a few times during the ice season to share a hut and company at, maybe Cassy's or something like that.
Tailfin

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 08:35 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Tailfin @ Oct 02, 2017 - 08:02 pm)
SDC, Glad to hear your staying. Maybe we should start a seniors club (75 and up) and get together a few times during the ice season to share a hut and company at, maybe Cassy's or something like that.
Tailfin

Hey Tailfin

That sounds like a good idea. Does Casey have huts on the whitefish grounds?

You know I don't like to fish for those PPPPPPPerthings

SDC

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 08:37 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (mydogbites @ Oct 02, 2017 - 06:21 pm)
No problem Ralph, I'll pull the sled and gear, and even upgrade you a bit to sit in a warm portable. Now the hard part is finding the time and even harder getting some solid ice.

Hey Robert

Sounds good. Now let's get some good ice.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Oct 02, 2017 - 08:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

I am not close to your age and there are days I feel the pain of pulling gear for ice fishing. I sometimes do pay an outfitter to take me out especially on those fresh snowfall and windy days.

You welcome to join me when I head out but you got to come to my end of that pond. The oro line you like is not my favorite. The fishing is a little better sound of it 😬... just only 7 lines down.

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Oct 03, 2017 - 08:32 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12369

Great to see your staying Ralph. But I'm not selling you the auger back lol. Your welcome to come with me anytime. Working on getting an atv with a two up seat. I'm getting too old to pull the sled as well.
cheers

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 03, 2017 - 12:34 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Fish4Dinner @ Oct 02, 2017 - 08:56 pm)
I am not close to your age and there are days I feel the pain of pulling gear for ice fishing. I sometimes do pay an outfitter to take me out especially on those fresh snowfall and windy days.

You welcome to join me when I head out but you got to come to my end of that pond. The oro line you like is not my favorite. The fishing is a little better sound of it 😬... just only 7 lines down.

Hey F4D

Thanks for the offer.

I used to fish that end of the shore before it "got discovered"

6-7 years ago I could go there at 8AM on a weekday and be the 3rd or 4 person there. Nice short walk.

Since I don't like to fish in crowds, that is why I started fishing further North, even though it was a much longer walk to be on fish.

When the season is here, let me know when you are going out.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 03, 2017 - 12:35 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Dee004 @ Oct 03, 2017 - 08:32 am)
Great to see your staying Ralph. But I'm not selling you the auger back lol. Your welcome to come with me anytime. Working on getting an atv with a two up seat. I'm getting too old to pull the sled as well.
cheers

Hi Don

Thanks for the offer. I sure hope you get that 2up ATV.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Oct 03, 2017 - 02:54 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Welcome back Ralph

If nothing else at least you got the garage cleaned out. The good thing about being 75 and retired you can always head east for a vacation whenever you feel like it which isn't too hard to take.

PMEmail Poster
onthemoney
Posted: Oct 05, 2017 - 07:39 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 663

Ralph glad to hear you and the wife made the choice to stay. Your not missing much here in NS. yes we have Striped Bass, some trout but the fishing here fails in comparison to Ontario.

When the wife and I moved here - we were thinking the possibility of retiring here NOPE. The Province and government can be summed up like this:

CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE AWAY.

OH YA I'M AN EAST COASTER TO - SO THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING.

Look forward to seeing you in Ontario in the future and maybe get out fishing together.

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Oct 05, 2017 - 08:18 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7520

QUOTE (sdcaller @ Oct 02, 2017 - 04:48 pm)
So now, if someone invites me to go along where they pull all the heavy stuff and the snow is not too deep for me to walk or if they can give me a ride out, I can take out a few rods and lures and should be OK.

SDC

Well, Ralph, it sounds like you are going to have to get a dance card to keep track of all those invites! I'd be happy to head out with you as well some lovely winter's morning.

Regards,

Michael

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 06, 2017 - 10:11 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (onthemoney @ Oct 05, 2017 - 07:39 pm)
Ralph glad to hear you and the wife made the choice to stay. Your not missing much here in NS. yes we have Striped Bass, some trout but the fishing here fails in comparison to Ontario.

When the wife and I moved here - we were thinking the possibility of retiring here NOPE. The Province and government can be summed up like this:

CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE AWAY.

OH YA I'M AN EAST COASTER TO - SO THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING.

Look forward to seeing you in Ontario in the future and maybe get out fishing together.

Hi OTM

Thanks for your comments. I sent you a PM.

I look forward to fishing with you when you get back here.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 06, 2017 - 10:12 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Michael Kerwin @ Oct 05, 2017 - 08:18 pm)
QUOTE (sdcaller @ Oct 02, 2017 - 04:48 pm)

SDC

Well, Ralph, it sounds like you are going to have to get a dance card to keep track of all those invites! I'd be happy to head out with you as well some lovely winter's morning.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael

Sounds like a good idea to get together on the ice.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace