Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Travel Time on Nipp
DDC302
Posted: Mar 23, 2018 - 03:14 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12412

Looking to plan something early summer, question how long of a ride is it to cross Nipp, North Bay to French River or Hay Narrows area, say decent weather traveling at 30-50 mph anyone know?

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Mar 23, 2018 - 07:01 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9678

QUOTE (DDC302 @ Mar 23, 2018 - 03:14 pm)
Looking to plan something early summer, question how long of a ride is it to cross Nipp, North Bay to French River or Hay Narrows area, say decent weather traveling at 30-50 mph anyone know?

I would use google maps to measure the distance (just right click) and from there it's just a matter of distance/speed.

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Mar 23, 2018 - 07:15 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

how long of a ride

traveling at 30-50 mph anyone know?

30 would take almost twice as long.

PMEmail Poster
Bobinette
Posted: Mar 24, 2018 - 06:49 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10778

QUOTE (Bayliner @ Mar 23, 2018 - 07:15 pm)
how long of a ride

traveling at 30-50 mph anyone know?

30 would take almost twice as long.

LMFAO!!!!

PMEmail Poster
DDC302
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 - 07:17 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12412

QUOTE (Sterling @ Mar 23, 2018 - 07:01 pm)

I would use google maps to measure the distance (just right click) and from there it's just a matter of distance/speed.

Thanks Sterling, I did not know google maps did that, hay learned something, ok that's it, done learning for today to much pressure

PMEmail Poster
Cranman
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 - 02:41 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 1788

QUOTE (DDC302 @ Mar 26, 2018 - 07:17 am)
QUOTE (Sterling @ Mar 23, 2018 - 07:01 pm)

Thanks Sterling, I did not know google maps did that, hay learned something, ok that's it, done learning for today to much pressure

Hey...it really depends on the weather and wind...
Nipissing is very scary lake at times....calm one minute, crazy waves the next. the difference with this lake vs others is the pitch of the waves...I seriously have not seen many lakes like Nip....due to the size and the average depth being only 22 ft or so...hence the rollers!

if you have 22ft plus boat, should be fine....anything less...be careful...

PMEmail Poster
SKRAMO
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 - 04:19 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3999

Hi DDC302

I have done that trip more than a few times...it never gets routine!....as someone else said on here...it kinda depends on a few things.....lake conditions...size of motor/boat...etc.

On average, if it is a calm day, you can count on it taking no less than 20 to 30 minutes in a smaller boat from the dock in North Bay (say 30-50 hp...16 footer). I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you don't do that trip with anything less than a 19 foot boat and enough motor to get you through the usual waves nip brings up on occasion (most times it's a SW to NE direction...so you can surf the larger waves back if need be). You can go across on calm waters...goof around in the river all day...and when you go to come back the lake has picked up and you find waves that weren't there before.

I have had the unpleasant experience of going out searching for boats/bodies of those who tried to make a trip like that in a small boat and never made it back.....not fun for anyone...especially the boater who tried.

Always have a plan B if your going that far with a small boat/motor! Bring the overnighter essentials if you are...lighter....blanket..warm clothes....etc. Don't be a hero and if she is giving you heck...give in to her and park it until morning.

Good Luck and be safe!

SKRAMO
)-)))o>

PMEmail Poster
Helpme
Posted: Mar 31, 2018 - 11:48 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5441

Thanks skramo for the nice direct answer to a rather direct question. Always like your responses and little extra info on the side.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 05:55 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

You've already been told all you need to know. I'll just echo one thing. I have a 19 foot deep hulled boat, and I've been in some weather on Nippissing that has made me say the heck with it, I'll fish in Callander. Not because the boat wouldn't take it, but the pounding wasn't worth it. In my old 16 footer, or a lesser craft it would be dangerous. The lake definately has an ugly side!

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 - 09:32 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

great advice already posted, I will agree, morning to afternoon it can be 2 different lakes. if you really want the adventure its up to you but I would strongly advise this as an option, pull your boat out and drive it to a launch across the pond. I've seen some nasty days that looked great in the morning trying to get back from hay narrows across west bay to the west arm, as a side note west bay is only 12 miles and way more protected than your route. cheers!

ps. I have also wasted a lot of time travelling by boat when I could have been fishing, however I too enjoy an adventure, but I wouldn't want to try that one most days.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace