? Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> To these 5 good samaritans, thank you very much!
xiaolu
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 07:07 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

This past Saturday (October 11), we had close to 15 people fishing for perch on Simcoe off Lefroy, Innisfil area, mostly on kayak, canoe, inflatable, but a few on real fishing boat.

Water was a bit rough, though.

Around 1:00PM one of my buddies' canoe flipped over on 55 feet deep water, due to big wave from a big boat closely passing by in full force. The guy on the boat couldn't care less, and simply ran and left.

My buddy was trapped completely under water with anchor rope wrapped around the back side of his life jacket and around his legs, with the anchor still firmly on the bottom of the water pulling him down. For a FULL 2 MINUTES under water, he was calmly enough, and was lucky to find a plier from his life jacket pocket, and "systematically" and one at time cut the rope until he got freed, and finally re-emerged from water.

He stayed in cold water for close to 20 minutes until a big sailing boat with 5 GENTLEmen passed by, and came to his rescue. They pulled him from water, and towed his canoe to shore. They offered him rum and whiskey to warm him up. They offered him warm cloths. They helped him load his canoe to his car roof...

Earlier while he was still in water, another boat passed by him, and even circled around him a bit, but then simply left.

A miracle in my book for sure! I mean I must say my buddy was truly lucky. I am not exaggerating a single bit if I say he was like a hair's away from "finished".

My buddy couldn't thank the 5 good samaritans enough. Only a few hours later and after he got back home, and settled down a bit, in the evening he with his wife (and with me) invited the 5 gentlemen to a bar in Newmarket, and offered them some drinks and chicks (no, I mean chicken wings:-). We had some good time and drinks (and stories/experiences to remember for a long long time)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Elrik
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 08:01 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

I wish i could act surprised at the behaviour of the other boats, including the one that flipped your friend, but it is just too common a behaviour these days. I am glad some decent people did come upon your friend and there was a happy ending to the story.

PMEmail Poster
orangebucket
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 08:04 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2599

WOW that is scary. I am glad everyone is ok. It really goes to show how stupid some people are, they could have been charged with careless use of a motor vehicle (or even manslaughter in a slightly worse version of the incident) for their carelessness. They have no business on the water if they are not going to obey the rules....your wake, your responsibility. And shame on the people that came and left. Isn't it kind of a nautical rule to help people in trouble on the water if you can. Well, anywhere for that matter

Too bad nobody could get their numbers.

Just Shamefull

PMEmail Poster
perch guy
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 08:34 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 470

WOW..... what a story. Glad it ended well for your friend..

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 09:22 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

Hey James

Quite a story.

Glad that "all is well that ends well".

Many boaters are like many drivers on the road.

They have no idea how their actions and inactions impact on others.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 09:33 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

That was a frightening story.......that ended well enough, but could have ended so very badly.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
porkpie
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 09:42 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4287

I am really glad your friend is alive. HOWEVER.... He should not have been over 55 feet of water in a canoe in rough water on simcoe, particularly in the cold waters of October. Your friend should be dead. Thankfully he ran across a few decent guys who yanked him out. There is no excuse for the pricks that swamped him, nor for the pricks that did nothing to help him. But make no mistake, he should not have been there in a canoe, or a kayak particularly at this time of year! Again, glad he is still with you! And glad to hear the sailors where able to pull him in! Sorry man, but that had to be said. Simcoe is a dangerous lake. I have been hunting and fishing it for over 20 years right up until freeze up. It will kill you if you take foolish risks!

PMEmail Poster
Ee-dawwg
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 10:11 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2938

Very happy and relieved to hear that your friend is ok and that there are still good people out there!

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 10:24 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Wow that was a very scary story, absolutely frightening and thank God everyone is ok and your friend remained calm throughout this ordeal. Kudos to the good samaritans that offered assistant. I can't stress enough the importance of safety when you are out on the water, especially when water temperatures drop. I my very very thankful this ended well..

PMEmail Poster
Mike D
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 11:14 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 1774

Glad your friend is ok James. Good thing for nice people with common sense too! I won't comment on the a@sholes that caused it or didn't help and I have not spend enough time in a canoe of kayak to know enough of where he should or shouldn't have been! Taking them out for a meal was such a great gesture of appreciation; and will ensure that the good samaritans continue to do good

PMEmail Poster
Tackleshop
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 11:25 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 610

As it's been said, the idiots driving the boat and the circling boat could both be charged with very serious charges, not the least being manslaughter. It happens all too often and there is no excuse for these morons. If it were me, I would make every effort to track them down and press charges, or sink their boat. The guy leaving the scene without helping out was leaving the scene of an accident and would have been just as guilty.

Now for the guy who says that the guy shouldn't have been in 55' of water. First off, to say the guy should be dead is a pretty stupid thing to say and I would think an apology is in order. However it is true to the extent of an uneducated paddler, or if you have morons in big power boats with no regard for others lives. An experienced paddler can deal with most natural conditions. I come from the Bay of Fundy, that can make Simcoe look tame on the best of days and have paddled a canoe over open water further than the length of Simcoe and in over 300' of water in some pretty rough conditions, yet never felt unsafe, a little scary at times thinking it was going to take forever to get back, fighting weather and tides, but never life threatening even in 4'-6' waves. So the weather didn't cause the accident, the MORON did.

PMEmail Poster
SD CHEWIE
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 11:31 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3680

I am happy your friend remained calm and escaped from the anchor rope. I am happy for you also James to still have this friend with you. I am thankful the good Samaritans stopped and aided your friend in all capacities and ways. I am totally not surprised by others actions driving by and not helping a boater in distress. The world out there anywhere has not become a better place. Truly A HUGE THANKS to the Samaritans again.

PMEmail Poster
walleye37
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 02:46 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 6230

One lucky SOB On the flip side, now he has new friends for life. Take care out there, the water is very cold, and very unforgiving.

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 02:50 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

Truly your buddy escaped death. I have never felt safe in a canoe, however I do feel safe in my kayak. Glad it worked out.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Oct 13, 2014 - 05:25 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 656

QUOTE (Tackleshop @ Oct 13, 2014 - 11:25 am)

Now for the guy who says that the guy shouldn't have been in 55' of water. First off, to say the guy should be dead is a pretty stupid thing to say and I would think an apology is in order. However it is true to the extent of an uneducated paddler, or if you have morons in big power boats with no regard for others lives. An experienced paddler can deal with most natural conditions. I come from the Bay of Fundy, that can make Simcoe look tame on the best of days and have paddled a canoe over open water further than the length of Simcoe and in over 300' of water in some pretty rough conditions, yet never felt unsafe, a little scary at times thinking it was going to take forever to get back, fighting weather and tides, but never life threatening even in 4'-6' waves. So the weather didn't cause the accident, the MORON did.

A little fault needs too be shared by all. Too me fishing in a canoe out in Lake Simcoe on a long weekend is asking for trouble. Like riding a bike down the 400 not the best idea. True paddling a canoe in rough weather can be done however when you are distracted fishing that's a hole different ball game. Save the canoe for more suited waters.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

ICX Carbon Ice
Fishing Reel

WintePro Insulated
Fishing Gloves

Crampons Ice Cleats
for Winter Boots

Frabill Hub Shelter

Rapala Jigging
Rap Perch

Garmin STRIKER 4
Ice Fishing Bundle

Landworks Eco- Friendly Electric
Cordless Auger Power Head

CLAM 8073 Outdoor
Portable Fish Trap

CLAM Ice Fishing Shelter
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!