DIY Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: «« < 3 4 5 6 7 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Smitty Sled, Hope this makes things easier!
SeanGilmour
Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 08:28 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10168

Turtle wax is quick will help just won't last as long as a good wax, I am going to candle wax mine sooner or later.

PMEmail Poster
nsfisher
Posted: Jan 20, 2016 - 08:48 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 148

Thanks 👍

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Jan 21, 2016 - 03:19 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

I usually use parafin wax to help them glide. However the gouges and scrapes were getting too deep and for $10 why not just put on new skis.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jan 21, 2016 - 09:24 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Now that Goodwill is closed any thought I had of making 1 got shunted from the back burner to right off the stove.

PMEmail Poster
SeanGilmour
Posted: Jan 21, 2016 - 09:30 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10168

Lots of places to get used skis, where are you located.

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Jan 21, 2016 - 06:30 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

Lots do used skis in midland Harold.$10 a pair. I think you are just exhausted after that bucket build! Better get cracking, I hear rosseau is looking good.

Dave.

PMEmail Poster
Bobinette
Posted: Jan 22, 2016 - 01:07 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10778

That pic with the loaded sled is awesome! My buddy and I pack like that usually. I have a 60" plastic sled, a pelican I think. Last year for our first trip to Roach pointwe loaded up just the same way as you in that picture. Looooong walk out to 50 fow.....and realized that the auger was forgatten in the truck. We borrowed one, but goes to show that its not always good to pack so much that we forget perhaps the most important tool. With the skies it does pull like a dream though. You will love it.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 - 04:54 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (nsfisher @ Dec 30, 2015 - 11:11 pm)
Well I am one of those who has the need to bring everything I own out on the ice yet I have no machine to pull my sled. I have had some long hard treks pulling my gear on he ice and thought I was going to have a coronary on a couple of occasions. I got a new hut for Xmas a Clam XL 2000, lots of room and a big step up from he Eskimo Quik fish that was tight with just me inside. The downside is the Clam is more than double the weight of the Quikfish so I knew I needed a better/easier way to pull my gear. Below are a couple pics of the Smitty Sled I just completed, I think it turned out well and hope it helps me enjoy my time on the ice more.

Just finished mine and took it out for the first time, it's unreal how much better it is, easily at least 50% LESS effort to pull.

And the breakdown is so easy. Parked and didn't want to mess up the skiis on the asphalt, so just dragged it to the lake then put together the sled. Noticed an immediate difference, so glad I spent the time to make it.

Thank you so much!

PMEmail Poster
ICEDOG
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 - 05:06 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5217

QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Jan 24, 2016 - 04:54 pm)
Well I am one of those who has the need to bring everything I own out on the ice yet I have no machine to pull my sled. I have had some long hard treks pulling my gear on he ice and thought I was going to have a coronary on a couple of occasions. I got a new hut for Xmas a Clam XL 2000, lots of room and a big step up from he Eskimo Quik fish that was tight with just me inside. The downside is the Clam is more than double the weight of the Quikfish so I knew I needed a better/easier way to pull my gear. Below are a couple pics of the Smitty Sled I just completed, I think it turned out well and hope it helps me enjoy my time on the ice more.

Just finished mine and took it out for the first time, it's unreal how much better it is, easily at least 50% LESS effort to pull.

And the breakdown is so easy. Parked and didn't want to mess up the skiis on the asphalt, so just dragged it to the lake then put together the sled. Noticed an immediate difference, so glad I spent the time to make it.

Thank you so much!

I made wheels for mine to save the skis when going from the car to the lake. Easy on and off…front two wheels swivel.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
ICEDOG
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 - 05:06 pm

Adult Trout

Close up

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
ICEDOG
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 - 05:08 pm

Adult Trout

My sled

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Moonman
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 - 05:14 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2985

QUOTE (ICEDOG @ Jan 24, 2016 - 05:06 pm)
QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Jan 24, 2016 - 04:54 pm)

Thank you so much!

I made wheels for mine to save the skis when going from the car to the lake. Easy on and off…front two wheels swivel.

Nice wheels Icedog. I can see tnat the front wheels stay on as they butt up against the body of the sled but how are you mounting your back skis, same way? If so, how do they stay on?

Moonman.

PMEmail Poster
ICEDOG
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 - 05:23 pm

Adult Trout

The rear wheels don't swivel and are held on by a chain around the sled leg with a carabiner for easy install with gloves on.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
ICEDOG
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 - 05:24 pm

Adult Trout

Another pic of the rear wheels

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
ICEDOG
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 - 05:26 pm

Adult Trout

I put the chain and carabiner on the front wheels aswell…incase you have to reverse.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: «« < 3 4 5 6 7 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

ICX Carbon Ice
Fishing Reel

WintePro Insulated
Fishing Gloves

Crampons Ice Cleats
for Winter Boots

Frabill Hub Shelter

Rapala Jigging
Rap Perch

Garmin STRIKER 4
Ice Fishing Bundle

Landworks Eco- Friendly Electric