Lake Simcoe Message Board

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron

Steelhead Fishing
Fishing tips, baits & tactics for catching Steelhead.
Read more
 Accommodations
 Bait & Tackle
 Ice Hut Rentals
 Marinas & Boats
 Fishing Guides
 Members
 Board Rules
 Search
Fishing Forum                     |  Fishing Regs
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> One Old Guy With a Fish-Dec. 11, Steelheader 1, SDCaller 0, Knuguy 0
sdcaller
Posted: Dec 11, 2012 - 08:25 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Went over to the Nottawasaga today to meet up with Steelheader. Tailfin wasn't there, but Knuguy showed up and introduced himself when he saw my "multi- coloured" toque. He recognized it from last weeks pictures.

Slow, cold day--it was minus 8 degrees and line was freezing in the rod guides.

Knuguy showed up late after fishing further up river and left early, but Steelheader and I hung in from dawn until noon and he got 1 hit-1fish on his "sexy roe". A nice 7lb 10oz rainbow. I didn't have a hit, despite using some of the "sexy roe" as well as my normal salmon roe. Only fish caught all morning in that area of the river.

Talked to some guys upstream and I understand a few fish were caught further up in the morning. Water is still very low and somewhat dirty.

My "multi-coloured" toque has an interesting story behind it. For over 45 years I was a member of the British Automobile Racing Club in Toronto and was very active in many aspects of sports car racing and rallying-competitor, marshall, race official, organizer and race commentator. Back in the late 60's, there was a member by the name of Walt Miller (RIP) who had been a prisoner of war during WW2 and had learned to knit while in the POW camp.
If Walt liked you he would knit you a toque out of whatever wool came to hand to wear when you went ice racing-(racing cars on ice). My wife and I each have one of these "one offs" and they are at least 40 years old. It's my coldweather trademark.

Picture of Steelheader and his fish follows. From the look of the weather, we may still be able to fish next week.

SDC

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
admin
Posted: Dec 11, 2012 - 10:13 pm

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

brrrrrr. Looks cold..

You guys are consistently catching trout!!

That's a beauty of a bow.. Nice job!
Must have been a good fight....

Great story about your lucky "multi-coloured" toque.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Tailfin
Posted: Dec 12, 2012 - 10:18 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 100

Very nice fish. I couldn't go (family) I hope to see you guys Thurs.
Patrick

PMEmail Poster
seabear
Posted: Dec 12, 2012 - 02:37 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2186

Looks like you were right at the boat launch on the point at the mouth. Must have been windy out there. But, sure is a nice Trout!!!!

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 - 01:05 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 877

SD and SteelH,
Good to meet you guys. That was some 'round' trout!

Admin---I think it's fair to say that fishing was quite slow that day. The one in the pic is 1 of the very few fish that were landed amoung quite a few guys( SD said 9 guys at the ramp earlier in the day and that was the only fish)

PMEmail Poster
admin
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 07:41 am

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Knuguy, I know what you mean... Can be tough there.. But anytime your buddy (buddies) catch a fish, it's a good day.. At least you know your bait was in the proximity of a fish and you had a somewhat equal chance of catching it..

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!