Lake Nipissing Message Board

Lake Nipissing
Fishing tips, reports, discussions & more.

Walleye Fishing
Fishing tips & hotspots for catching Lake Nipissing walleye.
Read more
 Accommodations
 Bait & Tackle
 Ice Hut Rentals
 Marinas & Boats
 Fishing Guides
 Members
 Board Rules

Search
Fishing Forum                     |  Fishing Regs
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fish Air Bladder
hockeystick
Posted: Feb 15, 2013 - 02:45 pm

Alevin

Group: Members
Member No.: 2372

Hey All,

Hope everyone's season is going well. I am doing fairly well this season, no monsters but the numbers are there.

I was wondering if anyone has a solution for helping the fish when their air bladder pushes out their mouth (Or whatever pushes out of their mouth). I have had to keep a number of small fish due to the fact that they cannot swim down the hole and eventually die.

If someone could provide information on how to help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PM
ThorahGuy
Posted: Feb 15, 2013 - 03:56 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 644

Some people will tell you to "fizz" the fish, a process where a hypodermic needle is inserted into the swim bladder to release the excess pressure. It is a highly controversial practice. There are well informed people on both sides of the issue with very strong opinions. Google "fizzing fish" for lots of reading on the subject.

PMEmail Poster
garageguys
Posted: Feb 16, 2013 - 02:03 am

Fry

Member No.: 2553

Hey there hockeystick.... a simple solution.... I just real in the fish slower when I'm in deeper water. Ever notice it doesn't happen to the bigger fish that put up a fight and come up slow? But it certainly does when you horse up a dink.

Try it next time your out. Good luck

PMEmail Poster
hockeystick
Posted: Feb 16, 2013 - 02:06 am

Alevin

Member No.: 2372

Oh believe me.... I have taken my time and still... it happens.... But yes... seems to happen on the smaller fish more often.

PM
gbay
Posted: Feb 16, 2013 - 07:09 am

Fry

Member No.: 3069

I always use a syringe when i pop a perch's bladder. Insert it in the bladder and draw the air out slowly. They go right down the hole. Sometimes, if you leave it in a hole for a few minutes, the bladder will go down on it's own. As stated earlier, you tend to know when you have a perch on the line. Draw it up slowly and their bladders won't blow.

PMEmail Poster
Michelle
Posted: Feb 16, 2013 - 08:15 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2782

I have heard of taking the air out working. I have blood parrot fish and have heard of other fish keepers do this. I have never done it.

On the ice I have held a fish tale and keep the fish in water till it is ready to go. it will go back naturally just give it time. I try not to throw them back down in distress.. They will just be bait for something big down there that you want to hit your line.

PMEmail Poster
the blue fox
Posted: Feb 16, 2013 - 02:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1452

Have look I know its is a bass, but seems to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...e&v=kyoe0jrZWvQ

PMEmail Poster
Michelle
Posted: Feb 16, 2013 - 07:58 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2782

my experience with fish (I have a lot of experience with tank fish) I would not be putting water in their swim bladder. it is a pouch filled with gas. Ive NEVER heard of water in the swim bladder. That may get them to swim for a bit but not good in the long run.

I could see taking some of the gas out but Never putting water back in.

PMEmail Poster
jason233
Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 12:14 am

Alevin

Member No.: 3756

Hi Hockeystick,

I have found that If I hold them 6-8" under the water nose pointed down and give a little push they seem to be able to make it down...got over 80 perch this weekend, many of them unable to get down the hole without a little help...NONE of them were unnable to swim down with some coaxing.

PMEmail Poster
Brookie_Guy
Posted: Mar 06, 2013 - 09:42 am

Egg

Member No.: 3791

There has been quite a bit of research on fizzing in recent years. All in all, even if it's done right the survival rate is low. Even reeling the fish in slow doesn't give them enough time to de-gas. Unlike lakers, perch and bass don't have a duct from their esophagus to their air bladder, so they can't 'burp' up the expanding gas.
If you're keen on releasing fish caught from deep water, one of the best things to do is get yourself a designated line for releasing, a big weight and an aligator clip. Tie on the weight and clip to the line and clip the fish's lower lip. Drop the rig+fish down to the bottom, give the line a jerk, and release the fish. This gets the fish down to depth where the water pressure will compress the swim bladder back to normal size.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 06, 2013 - 10:02 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Brookie_Guy @ March 06, 2013 - 09:42 am)
There has been quite a bit of research on fizzing in recent years. All in all, even if it's done right the survival rate is low. Even reeling the fish in slow doesn't give them enough time to de-gas. Unlike lakers, perch and bass don't have a duct from their esophagus to their air bladder, so they can't 'burp' up the expanding gas.
If you're keen on releasing fish caught from deep water, one of the best things to do is get yourself a designated line for releasing, a big weight and an aligator clip. Tie on the weight and clip to the line and clip the fish's lower lip. Drop the rig+fish down to the bottom, give the line a jerk, and release the fish. This gets the fish down to depth where the water pressure will compress the swim bladder back to normal size.

Best tip I have heard to date

I have used something similar, but the alligator clip sounds awesome!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!