Fishing Forum
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lake Erie question, Bass fishing near Buffalo
Goshawk
Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 05:13 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11890

I'm heading to Buffalo on Sunday for a Monday morning doctor's appointment and I'm dragging the boat down this time. I'm planning on launching from the Buffalo Harbour State Park (near the Peace Bridge) in search of some smallies. Since I don't have a deep V boat, I'll be sticking to the shallows and not venturing into the Niagara river system....current at the Peace Bridge scares me!
Has anyone done any smallmouth fishing in this area who can give me some hints of where to start looking? I'm figuring they'll be in fairly shallow water as some will likely be just finishing their spawn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PMEmail Poster
stevepod
Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 11:53 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9154

Your defiantly heading tword the smallmouth factory one of my favourite places to fish. The bass will definitely be in spawning grounds chomping . I was there a few weeks ago and the fish were in prespawn mode smashing jerk baits and swim baits. The biggest tip I can give is look for rock to sand transitions. You will find bass all along the break walls. Good luck be safe

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 12:59 pm

Lunker Trout

There's a very long break wall just outside of the launch area. Looking at the sat image, it looks to be about 3 miles long!! If the wind kicks up, that's where I'll be the whole time, either inside or outside.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Jun 03, 2018 - 02:38 pm

Lunker Trout

Update

After wasting 2 hours searching for a place to get my fishing license, I finally made it to the ramp at 10. Got launched with no issues, and it didn't seem as though there were too many boats out this morning.....man, was I wrong! There must have been close at least 60 trailers in the lot as I drove by on my way out of the marina.
With so many boats around, serious bass fishing was pretty difficult dealing with so many boat wakes inside the break water. I ventured outside for a bit but it was just too rough and windy out there. So I retreated back inside and spent several hours checking out spots that I had selected on Navionics. Total skunk job for me today, but I don't feel bad because I spoke with over a dozen bass boat fishermen and not one of them had a bite....some arrived and started just after sunrise. The only guys having any luck were the walleye fishermen in big deep-V boats trolling with downriggers and planner boards. I wasn't going to venture out in that stuff with my little buggy.
Still, it was fun sampling different water and meeting some very nice people. I'll be back in the fall.

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jun 03, 2018 - 04:00 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

The main thing is that you made it out and had fun.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 05, 2018 - 06:28 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Thanks for the report Goshawk..

I think you can buy a license online, I don't remember it's been a few years since I fished there..

That area is smallmouth bass heaven, but it can be hit and miss and you have to pick your days.. 4" tubes in goby colours, (greenish brown) dragged and jigged off bottom did the most damage.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace