Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Before they go deep...., Kawartha Crappie and Perch
Attila
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 - 07:15 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11988

Before they go deep the crappie and perch of the Kawartha Lakes invade shallow back bays in water sometimes as shallow as 1' in depth. Over the past month, I've spent a lot of time refining my tactics to catch some nice fish in areas that were largely unpressured by the fishing crowd.

I used the usual UL setups that are in my arsenal (Daiwa Presso/Exceler and a Daiwa Tuflite w/ an Abu Garcia Cardinal STX 5, both loaded w/ 4lbs Seaguar InvizX), one which was rigged with a slip float and the other with a fixed float. More on that later.

Bait wise I started with my usual go to, the Anglers Choice Crappie Fry in Electric Chicken. I caught several fish but not the size I was after so from there I broke out the Berkley Powerbait Atomic Teasers in Chartreuse. Again, I was catching numbers but nothing over the 10" mark. After more trial and error, I finally found what the larger perch and crappie were interested in; the 2" Berkley Powerbait Ripple Shad in Glow/Chartreuse pattern. This was the first time I had ever thrown a paddletail bait and I was quite impressed. Not only were these Ripple Shads built to last (I caught about 50 fish per bait whereas on the others I managed about 20 before they fell apart) but, true to Berkley Powerbait form, the fish were holding onto this bait much longer than any other I threw. All the baits were rigged on a 1/64oz jighead from Bass Pro Shops.

I first rigged the baits under a standard Thill slip float and the takes were easily identified with the float running this way and that and the larger fish pulling it under with ease. As the bite continued, I found the fish were becoming a little spooked when the larger sized slip float hit the water so it was then that I decided to rig my other UL setup with the Thill Mini Shy Bite. With little to no splash the fish didn't scatter at all when it hit the water and the smaller sized Shy Bite made it easier for the fish to inhale the bait and swim away with it which resulted in more fish being caught.

Finally a key point regarding float depth and the hookup success I had. While I was routinely fishing water that was 1-2' in depth, I would always set my float to between 2-3' deep. With the Ripple Shad, I found that the fish, especially the crappie, were holding onto the bait longer which resulted in hooksets that were deeper into the fishes mouth thus avoiding the paper thin area found right on the outside of the crappies mouth. Not once did I lose any fish as a result of this and believe I owe it all to the scent that is put into those Ripple Shads.

Pictured below is my largest crappie which came in at 15" and about 1.5lbs and one of many perch that were around the 12" mark. On an average day I would catch about 100 fish with about 60% being in the 5-8" range, 30% being between 8-12", and about 10% of the fish being over 12" in length. I really think this bodes well for the future of the crappie and perch fishery in the Kawartha's and can't wait to see what future seasons will produce in terms of size. All of my fish were released.

Cheers, and have a nice day.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 - 07:15 pm

Lunker Trout

Perch

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 - 07:46 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Thanks for the report, a great read as usual Attila

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 - 08:16 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

Great Post. Even though I don't fish for Crappie, after your excellent post, I feel I could.

Thx.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 - 08:41 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

What a great read...thanks for the post!!

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: Oct 20, 2018 - 08:44 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11172

Another great read. Thanks Attila👍

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 - 10:40 am

Lunker Trout

Glad that you enjoyed reading it oogie8, Fossy47, Goshawk, and chazD.

Fossy -- I find that panfish are often overlooked at this time of year and many will focus on bass and walleye. Fall panfishing is, in my opinion, a lot more productive and the fish tend to be larger as well. Granted, they may only be in the shallows for a few short weeks, but they are quite ravenous as they put on the feedback in preparation for the winter months soon to come.

PMEmail Poster
MikeyLovesMuskies
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 - 11:09 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 14137

Great report as usual, Attila!! You have a great way of making others' feel as if they were there fishing with you.

Keep'em coming

PMEmail Poster
Summer679
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 - 03:49 pm

Fry

Member No.: 12076

Thanks Attila. I enjoy your posts and appreciate the info that you provide in them . Always a great read.
Cheers J

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Oct 22, 2018 - 01:25 pm

Lunker Trout

Thanks for the kind words MikeyLovesMuskies and Summer679, I appreciate it and am glad you enjoyed the read.

Trying to figure out this winter what I'd like to focus on next year...perhaps more finesse fishing techniques to get a better understanding of what works and what doesn't.

Cheers.

PMEmail Poster
Originalfive
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 - 07:52 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 10835

Nice report!

I'm one of those guys that over looks pan fishing this time of the year as I'm always fishing for fall chrome. I'll trade a wkend of fall chrome for some non stop pan fishing action any day

PM
ice_addict
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 - 11:51 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2648

Great read once again Attila

I'm not criticizing what so ever, lol and you can tell me to go fly a kite. The one thing I wish you would add is a picture of your baits you used. What i mean is how it was rigged.

Your posts are always informative and I will usually look up things you have mentioned to give them a try, but having a picture showing how you rigged it would be invaluable.

Thank you for taking the time to pass on what you have learned to us.

Ice_addict

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 - 07:59 pm

Lunker Trout

Anytime Originalfive, thanks for the kind words. I usually target pannies until turnover and once that happens I hit the rivers for trout so that's where you'll find me the next couple of weekends. The fishing addiction is real!

ice_addict -- no problem re posting pictures of how I rigged everything, I'll post one to this thread later on once I take a couple of snaps. I'm always looking for feedback so you or anyone else if you want some information just ask...just don't expect me to reveal the spots is all.

Side note -- I didn't know there was a Wayne's World smilie, will have to use that for others reports! LOL

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace