Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Leaving an Ice Shack on the lake
Velocity149
Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 08:18 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15368

Hey guys. Long time reading the walls, but this is my first post.

I'm looking to build an Ice Shack. Not certain on where I want to put it yet, but I have a few questions for you guys with shacks.

Do you have many issues leaving them on the ice unattended? Vandalism/theft?
Would it be a good idea to just leave it empty & unlocked with a sign saying something like "be respectful & use at your own risk"?

I would probably leave it on Scugog or Rice. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and enjoy the rest of the season!

Brian.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 08:37 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Welcome aboard, yes leave it empty and unlocked.

I know there are good people in the world, lots of them in these forums, but IMO, no sign.. This will / may lead to some people using the hut as their own and leave garbage or worse in the hut. Unfortunately, there are pigs and lowlifes out there, with no respect for anything but themselves..

PMEmail Poster
Velocity149
Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 08:52 am

Egg

Thanks metalbuckle. Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. Most (but unfortunately not all) people I've met on the water and ice have been awesome. But there are always those select few who seem to have no respect.

Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
ak47
Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 11:46 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 14876

I use to leave mine locked years ago but it was broken into and it created more work and hassle so I just leave it unlocked. I also don't leave much inside basically stuff that if went missing I wouldn't care. My biggest issue with a permanent hut are people fishing 2' away from my door and when I come out they just turn their back to me & it's not because of a wind break which I would understand. I have a portable and use both 50% of the time. A big wood hut def has its advantages in storms and severe cold. Make one and put it out there.

PMEmail Poster
ak47
Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 11:49 am

Fry

Member No.: 14876

The other big issue is being close enough or have the free time to be out there blocking it up with all the weather changes bc if you don't it can freeze into the lake and make for a lot of chipping work. I use small bricks to block as they sink when the ice goes out not float like wood blocks. Good luck!

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 02:30 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 29, 2018 - 11:49 am)
The other big issue is being close enough or have the free time to be out there blocking it up with all the weather changes bc if you don't it can freeze into the lake and make for a lot of chipping work. I use small bricks to block as they sink when the ice goes out not float like wood blocks. Good luck!

A BIG x2!!!! Real pain in the a## if it gets frozen in. Watch the forecast for where you have the hut. If there's going to be a melt make sure you get out there to block it up before the freeze.

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Jan 29, 2018 - 09:51 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14818

I fish only with a tent for two reasons. First is the season is longer (first ice to mid March. With a hard hut its Jan 1 to Feb 28 on Scugog. The second reason is you need a licence to use a hard hut on Scugog. This is due to some people leaving the huts out past the due date, and then they sink. MNR then has to retrieve them. I think it around $150, but not sure. If you have an insulated tent and you can set it up on your own each time, the experience shouldn't be that different, My tent is 7 x 7 x 7. I'm on Scugog almost every weekend near the bloat launch (Red Eskimo 3i). Perfect size for one or two people. I add a portable heater and its quite toasty.

PMEmail Poster
Pleasantpointjig
Posted: Jan 30, 2018 - 01:18 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10409

TRUST ME don't do it unless you can check it yourself frequently and don't have to rely on others to check it for you or help you. I'd be more worried about it freezing/sinking than anything. Get a pop up and a buddy heater.

PMEmail Poster
Babcom
Posted: Jan 30, 2018 - 03:03 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7779

I live on lake sucgog and i left my hut out with out checking on it over the warm weather then it got cold again. long story short it took me 5 hours to axe it out of the ice. it was in 6 inches of ice.

You need to register your permanent hut. you just call the MNR and they will take your name address phone number and then they give you a Number. you put the number on your hut like a licence plate for a car. its free to get this number.

I keep nothing in my hut and keep it unlocked. i'd rather someone open the door and see there is nothing to take then have someone break in and i have to fix / replace stuff.

PMEmail Poster
Grab the net
Posted: Jan 30, 2018 - 03:05 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13147

We always locked our hut and had the curtains closed. Not gonna help a whole lot but outta sight, outta mind as they say. Locked because I figure if some &/@-/:;-() is gonna steal my stuff, I'm not making it any easier for them! This is a major reason you see so many huts congregate in one area. Everyone keeps an eye on each others huts and gear. Looks after each other like a little town. Has its downfalls of course but key for feeling more safe and secure while out there. I always felt better with kids on the ice when a lot of people and vehicles were present. These days it's all portable for me as well. More options for locations and a lot less headache

PMEmail Poster
Grab the net
Posted: Jan 30, 2018 - 03:08 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Babcom @ Jan 30, 2018 - 03:03 pm)
I live on lake sucgog and i left my hut out with out checking on it over the warm weather then it got cold again. long story short it took me 5 hours to axe it out of the ice. it was in 6 inches of ice.

Do you place it on blocks?

PMEmail Poster
Babcom
Posted: Jan 30, 2018 - 03:13 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7779

no i didn't. that's my first mistake. lol. i took it off and will put it back on but block it up this time.

PMEmail Poster
Grab the net
Posted: Jan 30, 2018 - 04:58 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Babcom @ Jan 30, 2018 - 03:13 pm)
no i didn't. that's my first mistake. lol. i took it off and will put it back on but block it up this time.

Yeah it helps to prevent the issue for sure but can still happen if you don't make it out to check on it enough. Another thing I don't miss about perm huts But I have to say I've had the greatest time fishing in them

PMEmail Poster
Velocity149
Posted: Feb 01, 2018 - 11:58 am

Egg

Thanks for the tips guys. My buddy and I both bought portable huts for this year, and they are comfier then I thought they would be. I think they may just do the trick, without having to build a permanent. Thanks again all!

PMEmail Poster
Grab the net
Posted: Feb 01, 2018 - 03:14 pm

Parr Trout

Don't forget that huts are great for keeping the kids and ladies warm during any winter activity too! Warm shack for skating, tobogganing, and whatever else you partake in. I got my money outta mine long ago and it helps smoothing over the initial purchase with the wife lol

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace