Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lake trout Fishing Lake Simcoe
Dsj123
Posted: Jul 01, 2018 - 06:20 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 4630

Hello new to the area of innisfil looking for some tips on going out for lakers on simcoe. Iím normally target bass on Lake Erie but looking to try something different.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Do most people troll with downriggers ?

Was looking to either try my luck jigging or leadcore

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jul 04, 2018 - 09:04 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

I would say it's about 50/50, some people troll and some jig and some do both.

Either technique works for catching lakers, the only variables to consider..

1) Are there trout under the boat

2) Are they biting

3) Proper presentation

4) Angler skill in hooking and landing the fish

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jul 05, 2018 - 06:46 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

I fish for laker on my kayak, and I paddle with manpower (with no motor), so trolling is just not an option for me. And I don't jig much at all, either.

Most of the time I just do deadsticking like leaving bait or lure about 20 to 40 feet off bottom, watch my sonar, and wait for laker to charge/come up from bottom of water, and when the laker is just about to reach my lure/bait I then start reeling in non-stop, and let the laker play "chase my lure/bait" game until he/she commits suicide..... And on average I get some laker landed about 2 out of 3 times out on Simcoe deep water (on my yak:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
4d277
Posted: Jul 05, 2018 - 08:39 pm

Fry

Member No.: 7427

And may I say he's quite good at it

PMEmail Poster
Dsj123
Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 10:19 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 4630

Thanks for the help I look forward to trying it out and hopefully post some results

PMEmail Poster
kawarthafishing
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 07:18 am

Egg

Member No.: 15320

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Jul 05, 2018 - 06:46 pm)
I fish for laker on my kayak, and I paddle with manpower (with no motor), so trolling is just not an option for me. And I don't jig much at all, either.

Most of the time I just do deadsticking like leaving bait or lure about 20 to 40 feet off bottom, watch my sonar, and wait for laker to charge/come up from bottom of water, and when the laker is just about to reach my lure/bait I then start reeling in non-stop, and let the laker play "chase my lure/bait" game until he/she commits suicide..... And on average I get some laker landed about 2 out of 3 times out on Simcoe deep water (on my yak:-)

Looking to try for lakers on Simcoe - which lures do you recommend for dead sticking ?

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 12:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (kawarthafishing @ Jul 10, 2018 - 07:18 am)

Looking to try for lakers on Simcoe - which lures do you recommend for dead sticking ?

I highly recommend a 1/2 (or even 3/4) oz jighead with a swammer bait such as this one that I used to land a laker this past Sunday on Simcoe deep water:

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
j.thomson
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 04:42 pm

Fry

Member No.: 13399

well done! proving you dont need expensive boats down riggers and such to get the job done !

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 05:43 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (j.thomson @ Jul 10, 2018 - 04:42 pm)
well done! proving you dont need expensive boats down riggers and such to get the job done !

No you donít but some prefer to be a bit more comfortable.

PMEmail Poster
kawarthafishing
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 06:19 pm

Egg

Member No.: 15320

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Jul 10, 2018 - 12:36 pm)
QUOTE (kawarthafishing @ Jul 10, 2018 - 07:18 am)

I highly recommend a 1/2 (or even 3/4) oz jighead with a swammer bait such as this one that I used to land a laker this past Sunday on Simcoe deep water:

Attached Image

Thanks for the tip, Iíll have to get out there and try it!

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 04:37 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7713

Very nice looking fish.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace