Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Move to Scugog or Sturgeon lake?, need advice
Duffin
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 01:14 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15332

Howdy all
Need some of your advice. Next year we're moving from Ajax to either Lake Scugog or Sturgeon lake. We've had enough of Ajax! We have a 17.5 foot deep V boat. Looking for advice as to which lake would be best suited to us. We work in Whitby and Scugog is closer, but the weeds there are terrible. So we're thinking the commute is longer but the lake is nicer and less weedy on Sturgeon. If you had a choice, which lake would you move too and why?
Keeping in Mind that you'd have to commute to Whitby everyday for work.
Thanks Duffin

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 02:12 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3100

In my opinion if the commute bothers you then pick Scugog but for every other reason sturgeon is better.

You have a big deep boat which is wasted on Scugog and if you're not strictly a bass fisherman you are forced to only fish certain spots on Scugog and they would probably get boring after a while Lake sturgeon fish has bigger and it's better for a bigger boat. Especially if you are a multi species Angler.

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 02:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11988

Sturgeon.

Better fishery and surrounded by other great waters to fish as well.

The drive isn't much given you're going down the 35 and 115 depending on where you live on the lake.

PMEmail Poster
Duffin
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 03:26 pm

Egg

Thanks Putaforkinya and Attila.
I'm leaning towards Sturgeon, just concerned about the commute. I work 6 days a week in Whitby, a 1 hour drive both ways will allow me to clear my head a wee bit. As long as the winter driving is somewhat stress-less. Had a trailer on Chemong lake for 8 years, the 35-115 route wasn't too bad. Just gotta convince my wife now. thanks again for the input, its appreciated!

PMEmail Poster
Ion66
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 03:26 pm

Fry

Member No.: 6006

I live in Port Perry and love the town. We keep our boat on Sturgeon though. It's 45 minutes from home to boat. Wife works in Whitby, and it's 30 minutes from work to home. I'd much rather live in Port than Fenlon or Bobcaygeon and definitely Lindsay. Some years we bring the boat up the canal to Scugog for the end of the season and haul out here, and get in some late season fishing if it's a decent Fall.

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 03:46 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14818

I live in Port Perry and drive to Scarborough for work. The last few years the lake has been terrible so I only fish Balsam in the summer. With the number of lakes within an hour's drive. Port Perry is a better location (20 min to Whitby). I only have a 14 ft boat, but I am a multi species angler, but I trailer my boat pretty much every weekend to the lake of my choice.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 06:48 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Sturgeon hands down for me.

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 09:00 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9546

X2....Sturgeon Lake, hands down.

PMEmail Poster
Ben1983
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 - 09:28 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12771

sturgeon. you got more options for other waters there

PMEmail Poster
Mike O
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 05:40 am

Egg

Member No.: 11803

How long do you plan to comute for ? I did Bobcaygeon to Ajax for 4 years but ended staying down 3 nites a week. Bobcaygeon is a nice area not as busy as Port Perry.It was worth it to me.
Mike

PMEmail Poster
Hank Jr
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 06:00 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6860

Sturgeon is my favorite out of all the lakes we fish in the Kawartha's . You are right about Scugog being pretty weedy .

PMEmail Poster
Mackfisher
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 09:05 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8390

I'd go Sturgeon personally for the better fishing and swimming. I make the drive from Omemee to York region everyday and it's fine. Bit longer but its all country roads with no real traffic (except summer Fridays). Just put it on cruise and relax all the way to work lol

Goodluck with your choice

Mack

PMEmail Poster
MikeyLovesMuskies
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 01:38 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 14137

Sturgeon, to me, is the best lake in the Kawarthas. Good luck to you and your family with the move. Hope all goes well wherever you may end up.

Mikey

PMEmail Poster
Duffin
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 02:16 pm

Egg

Thanks for the advice everyone, its greatly appreciated.
Whats the Scugog river like, is it possible to go from Scugog to Sturgeon via the connecting river. If So, how long does it take?

We went part of the way up it, seemed to be quite the haul from the public launch to the river.
Is it Do-able, say on the weekend when you have more time... how long does it take?
Again, thanks for the help

PMEmail Poster
Elrik
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 06:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

If you work six days a week I think the commute is more important than the fishing. Go for port perry buy a kayak for the lake and trailer to sturgeon on your day off if you want a better fishing lake!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace