Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ice Fishing Float Suit, Which One is Best?
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 08:01 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12632

Hey Guys,
I want to buy a one piece safety/float suit but I am not sure which one to go with.
Anyone on here have one and can offer some recommendations or input?

Appreciate it!

GRW

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 09:40 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10908

I have a Mustang floating one piece. I love it. Doesnít mean I know itís the best but serves me well

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 02:02 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

I have a 1 piece, its really warm...but its really warm. if its warmer than -15 i wear shorts underneath. Zipper vents are nice cause walking 1-2 km dragging gear you start to get hot, but sitting still for 1+ hrs you will definitely need the warmth.

I am looking to get a pair of floating bibs this year. Last ice it can be kinds uncomfortable to be out there in the full suit.

Make sure your boots fit with the suit.

(I have the discontinued Royal Distributing suit)

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 06:30 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12369

I have a one piece Keepafloat. It fits well and is really warm. I start wearing It in mid November and only need a light sweatshirt under it all winter long. Been really happy with it.

PMEmail Poster
ajs
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 07:30 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8630

I think all the main brands are pretty comparable. I would focus more on the price and design.
For me some sort of knee pads are good,, ....I donít want a bunch of pockets because they make suit more cumbersome ( in my opinion) ...and I carry gear in the sleigh or in pack, etc. Leg zippers are pretty important to me.
I have owned both one and two piece suits. I prefer the two piece with bib pants. I think they provide more flexibility ( can take off jacket) , and I find the bibs keep my lower back, etc warm.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 07:57 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

Had Mustang suit for 10 years .... now 4th year on my Helly Hanson suit .

Very light , warm and comfortable. Side arm pockets have built in whistle and ice pics.... Well built suit and worth every penny.

Love it !!!!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Paul j
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 08:14 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9597

I have a 1 piece Mustang suit now for about 5 years and itís really warm but I find it too bulky and itís too warm when Iím sitting in the hut and even when I take of the top portion it restricts your movements, so I just purchased a 2 piece Mustang and itís so comfortable, itís quite pricey but I like to be comfortable especially when sitting, itís a individual preference what Iím my opinion.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 09:01 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

IMO 2piece work better. My KeepAfloat 2 piece is quit warm.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 09:10 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

I went for a one piece suit for 20 years to a 2 piece suit 2 Christmases ago. There is no contest. The two piece is better in every way. I'd consider it if I where you.

PMEmail Poster
justafishin
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 09:56 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9028

Rule #1 with a one piece suit. Try it on and make sure the bib in the front is low enough to take a whiz, without having to drop the top half. My Boy-o -Bouy is great, love it.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 11:06 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

If you are on ice and dry, 2 piece suit is way better than 1 piece one I am sure.

However, if for whatever reason you ever break through ice, and end up in water, then 1 piece suit is better I say.

:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
quickme
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 11:12 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2663

I have a Salus Endurance class suit. I've had it for about 4 years and love it. I'm happy to say I've never tested it out to see if it floats and I hope that I never will. The 1 draw back I have with my suit is that the legs zippers don't zip up all the way with my Baffin titan boots so if you are going to try suits on maybe bring the boots that you're going to be wearing.

Very warm suit and the contour sections of it ( arms, knees, inseam) have extra room so it makes it very comfortable when getting up and down and kneeling.

PMEmail Poster
WTFish
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 11:55 am

Fry

Member No.: 14462

Striker ICE suits are on a whole different level. Comfort, warmth and quality are way ahead of the competition. Price is high though

Their top of the line suit is way too warm if you're gonna move at all. I'd go for one of the lower models which are still VERY warm, just as well made and a bit cheaper.

PMEmail Poster
mukluk
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 04:47 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 49

https://www.profishingsupply.com/product/ar...lack-plus-suit/

Purchased this 2-piece suit a couple of seasons ago. Nice to be able to take the coat off in the hut or when walking. I purchased the PLUS.

Cons...........Us funds, shipping, not Canadian Coast Guard approved

Pros............ Too many for me to list. Never regretted buying it. Trust it to float after many demos and reviews from loads of fishermen on the other fishing boards who purchased the suit and used it.

Canadian Tire sometimes has the jacket or bib for sale here. (same price or more $$$) Usually not the PLUS .

PMEmail Poster
miro
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 06:39 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

For the last few years I,v been using a one piece Helly Hanson and been pretty happy with it so far. Couple features I look for when purchasing a new suit are, first make sure it's coast guard approved and within the expire date if you decide to buy used. Something that has big strong zippers especially on the legs so you can suit up without taking your boots off,extra padding on the knees,Inner pocket with a zipper to keep your keys and wallet safe and out of the way, Upper pocket for the cell phone, fleece pockets to warm up the hands and a nice high collar to use as a wind break. The one and two piece suits both have there advantages, that's a decision you'll have to make depending on the way you fish. Hope this helps, good luck on your purchase.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace