Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Darn Mice
Putaforkinya
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 07:07 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3100

That sucks. They are officially coming into from the cold.

I've been spending the last 2 days trying to catch the ones on my garage that chewed through my tackle box to beat all of my scent.

Weird thing is I set 2 wooden mouse traps down and came back 5 hours later to find both traps missing. Looked around the garage and found one with what's left of a mouse that had been chewed up on a pile of my shoes. Dont know what can carry a mouse up there and then eat it but it looked like a mouse murder scene.
Then I put 4 traps up and came back next morning to find 2 missing. One went off with out catching anything and the last was a chewed up mouse.

Any ideas what eat nice? I'm guessing rat is doing this

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 07:11 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Yes that is the work of a rat. You have large holes under the garage door? Could also be a racoon.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 08:24 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Mice or rats...
Matt get a couple of bigger traps like I did for these two..

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 08:26 am

World Record Trout

# 2

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 08:29 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

What Fishmagnet said, I use the larger rat trap size, works for mice and chippys. Tie a full peanut in the shell to the flipper with a twist tie. Most times I'll catch 3or 4 mice or a couple chippys with the same peanut.

PM
Putaforkinya
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 09:05 am

World Record Trout

Thank you and yes I will be buying rat traps today for sure. When I saw the droppings around my chewed-up bass scent and tackle box I figured it was just common Straight Up 101 mice but then when I saw them chewed up I figured it was a rat.

Although this morning when I looked I went four for four in mice they are all chewed up as well but they look like they are chewed up from something small like other mice I don't know if mice are cannibals or not but catching for just like that tells me I've got quite a few mice in there. Yes Jerry there is a small break in the seal under the garage that I will have to patch up otherwise I'll be playing this all winter. Even if the ones in the picture are from cannibal mice that's not possible for what dragged a full Mouse and trap on two shoes on the other side of the garage and then chewed it up. And also the missing traps. That would take something bigger like a rat that's big enough to walk away with the Trap attached until it either gets it off or dies trying.
Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 09:45 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Matt I know its a job no one wants to do and the garage becomes the storage facility of most homes, but you need to clean out the garage my friend. Remove all clutter, especially things on the floor, where mice find nooks and crannies to hide and breed. Remove all food sources, dont store anything of food or sugar in the garage. Make shelves in your basement to store stuff. An outdoor shed is also a mouse haven, mine is empty in the summer, but now i packed it in with my patio furniture. I keep mothballs in the shed all season but double up now in winter. The mothballs stink a bit and so does your furniture for about a week after you take it out in the spring. But no mice..

Also in the spring and fall when the numbers are up I kill mice in the perimeter of my property outdoors, typical areas, along the fence especially near the corners and around holes under the deck. Also around your airconditioning unit. Kill about 20 or so every spring and fall keeping thier numbers down and they wont get further, like in the garage or worse in the house.

Racoons take the cages with dead mice away too, especially when i am trapping.. i might nail them with a small chain this year at my usual trapping areas.

If every property owner did this, would be a lot less mice in the neighbourhoods...

But its a lot of work, and after a week of work, who wants to do more work.. Lol..

Whooo i am tired now. But just a general guideline for prevention.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 10:30 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

Guys their pretty tough to beat , As we are getting cooler nights now the little critters are looking for a warmer winter home if it comes with a food supply all the better ( bird seed ,dog food ,kitchen waste and your deer bait )they chew up fabric items to build a nice cozy home ..

In my years of pest control the method used to determine entry points was to take a ball point pen ...if it fit in a hole mice could get ..no joke , it's fact ..

As Jerry said cleaning up helps a lot and rodent control is necessary for more than chewed up toys , they also chew up wiring !! look out boat, lawnmower, etc,etc

Perhaps I should come out of retirement for a short time and offer members my services for a small fee ....

Say the gps cords to your spec, morels, and sure fire moose havens...

Might just make my day..

Dave

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 11:15 am

World Record Trout

Very tough to beat the critters when The Neighbor behind you has bird feeders and feeds the birds daily .. any tips on how to get rid of a neighbor......lol

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 11:19 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (metalbuckle @ Oct 27, 2018 - 10:45 am)
Matt I know its a job no one wants to do and the garage becomes the storage facility of most homes, but you need to clean out the garage my friend. Remove all clutter, especially things on the floor, where mice find nooks and crannies to hide and breed. Remove all food sources, dont store anything of food or sugar in the garage. Make shelves in your basement to store stuff. An outdoor shed is also a mouse haven, mine is empty in the summer, but now i packed it in with my patio furniture. I keep mothballs in the shed all season but double up now in winter. The mothballs stink a bit and so does your furniture for about a week after you take it out in the spring. But no mice..

Also in the spring and fall when the numbers are up I kill mice in the perimeter of my property outdoors, typical areas, along the fence especially near the corners and around holes under the deck. Also around your airconditioning unit. Kill about 20 or so every spring and fall keeping thier numbers down and they wont get further, like in the garage or worse in the house.

Racoons take the cages with dead mice away too, especially when i am trapping.. i might nail them with a small chain this year at my usual trapping areas.

If every property owner did this, would be a lot less mice in the neighbourhoods...

But its a lot of work, and after a week of work, who wants to do more work.. Lol..

Whooo i am tired now. But just a general guideline for prevention.

Yup. Its definitely garage clean up time. It's a mess. I use it like crazy in the summer and everything was just thrown in there from my last fishing trip including my tackle bag which is there pictured.

I usually do a spring clean and a fall clean but haven't had the chance yet this fall.
I'm on vacation next week though and will have time to deep clean. Have to put the patio furniture in the shed and and take it the Christmas decorations out of hiding.
Almost as fun as my summer fishing vacations 🙄

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 01:26 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Chevy @ Oct 26, 2018 - 09:38 pm)
QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Oct 26, 2018 - 09:01 am)
QUOTE (CousinHippy @ Oct 25, 2018 - 10:38 pm)
QUOTE (Chevy @ Oct 25, 2018 - 05:43 pm)
They are destructive little buggers for sure. I'm going to give the iron on patches a try. Although, a new one would be cool 😎

Chevy I don't know you but from what I have gathered by your posting over the last few years it seems like your entire ice fishing season is one annual trip To a bungalow on nippissing... Don't know why you are even bothering with a portable hut! Lol

I think your right but from what I've heard it's the only bungalow with out a coffee table on all of Nipissing....

Not you too. Might have to put you on the list with FatRap and Bayliner

Just had too..lol
Chevy you put me on the list already..lol

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 01:37 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

Ya,,,,,,I've been on that list for over a year now. I heard there are several hundred coffee tables in front of me on that list.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 03:08 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Oct 27, 2018 - 11:15 am)
Very tough to beat the critters when The Neighbor behind you has bird feeders and feeds the birds daily .. any tips on how to get rid of a neighbor......lol

Lol.. yes bird feeders make mice.. I am a problem too. But kill the mice in spring and fall cleanups, keeps them in check. Also i put out only enough bird seed for the birds to finish each day. Very little seed left for the nightime mouse patrol. Plus i am cheap too, so 1 cup of seed/day with 1 tbsp of chilli.

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 03:26 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

I'm glad I don't have this problem.

I have the ultimate rodent Killing machine. She is currently cuddled in my lap by the fire.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Oct 27, 2018 - 03:54 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bayliner @ Oct 27, 2018 - 03:26 pm)
I'm glad I don't have this problem.

I have the ultimate rodent Killing machine. She is currently cuddled in my lap by the fire.

Ya I know I have 2 cats but they really dont pay thier share around here,

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace