Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ice shelter/hut - looking for your opinion, Non-insulated ?? or Insulated ??
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 10:34 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 13018

Hi,

Looking to buy our first ice shelter/hut for 2 to 3ppl.
We were about to buy the Frabill 2 to 3ppl then the seller said you should get the insulated shelter if your taking your kids. Seller then talks to us about condensation inside a uninsulated.

At this point we walked out to think about it.

Need your opinion- should we buy insulated or noninsulated?

We do have buddy heater 4000 to 9000 btu

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 12:34 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

You're buddy heater shouldn't have any problem keeping that hut warm. Condensation issues aren't as bad in a pop up as it usually drips near the walls. A shammy or absorbent towel can help too. The insulated units are better, but they're also heavier and cost more. Personally I wouldn't let a bit condensation sway my decision.

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 06:16 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

No question about it the insulated huts are the way to go.A little more weight but no condensation and they dry out quicker.I've had both and would not go back to the non thermal huts.

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 07:19 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14818

I have had a noninsulated and an insulated ice hut. Insulated all the way. The weight doesn't really matter unless you are carrying it (I put mine in my pull along sled). They are better built, tend to last longer, and they are much warmer (less propane usage by my heater). Look for deals, though, as the price can vary by a couple hundred dollars on the same unit. By starting now, you may be able to pick up last year's model for a bit cheaper.

PMEmail Poster
AlconaKevin
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 07:57 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1397

I also have both as pop-ups.

I can keep the non insulated very warm on super cold days with some sheets of the thin silver flexible insulation. Just cut into smaller sizes and slip behind support poles.
The insulated is quie a bit heavier but WAY warmer, the material seems more durable and a big difference is I dont get frost/moisture on the inside.
It can get quite damp in the non insulated to the point i brought towells to wipe it down.

In the end I use the insulated way more than the other.

PMEmail Poster
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 12:37 pm

Parr Trout

Thanks for the replies folks. We are going with insulated.
Tight Lines!!!

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Nov 07, 2018 - 05:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12369

QUOTE (Dbfish @ Nov 07, 2018 - 06:16 am)
No question about it the insulated huts are the way to go.A little more weight but no condensation and they dry out quicker.I've had both and would not go back to the non thermal huts.

X2 insulated all the way

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 08:50 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 5705

Got my first insulated hut last year. WORTH IT.

PM
xiaolu
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 09:08 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

After many winters with non-insulated hut, I just got a new insulated one (ESKIMO QuickFish 3i) in preparation for this coming hard-water season. And I'd believe once I am in/have used this insulated hut I'd never ever want to no go back to no non-insulated no more;-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 09:48 am

Parr Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Nov 08, 2018 - 09:08 am)
After many winters with non-insulated hut, I just got a new insulated one (ESKIMO QuickFish 3i) in preparation for this coming hard-water season. And I'd believe once I am in/have used this insulated hut I'd never ever want to no go back to no non-insulated no more;-)

I was checking the review yesterday on ESKIMO QuickFish 3i. We are thinking of going for this one or Woods Toaster Ice Shelter, 3-4 Person .

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 10:08 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (Gone4Fishn @ Nov 08, 2018 - 09:48 am)

I was checking the review yesterday on ESKIMO QuickFish 3i. We are thinking of going for this one.

A 3 man hut will be tight with 2 adults and gear. Kids can make it even more tricky depending on age. They like to get up and walk around and not alot of space means a high chance of tripping & breaking things & dunking a foot in a hole. I got a big frabill 6 man at the end of last year to take the family out in. Havent got to use it but i set it up inside and holy moly its huge!

Insulated would be nice but would add alot of weight and and i got an outrageously good deal on it, wold cost 2-3 times at least for insulated.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 03:57 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Nov 08, 2018 - 10:08 am)
QUOTE (Gone4Fishn @ Nov 08, 2018 - 09:48 am)

I was checking the review yesterday on ESKIMO QuickFish 3i. We are thinking of going for this one.

A 3 man hut will be tight with 2 adults and gear. Kids can make it even more tricky depending on age. They like to get up and walk around and not alot of space means a high chance of tripping & breaking things & dunking a foot in a hole. I got a big frabill 6 man at the end of last year to take the family out in. Havent got to use it but i set it up inside and holy moly its huge!

Insulated would be nice but would add alot of weight and and i got an outrageously good deal on it, wold cost 2-3 times at least for insulated.

Agree 100%.
I have the 3i and love it..
3 people and gear is tight....
Look at the Eskimo 949i it's a little bigger..

PMEmail Poster
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 06:55 pm

Parr Trout

I canít find any store that has this in stock Eskimo 949i.
I think we will be ok with 2to 3. I wonít take all the kids out anyway.

PMEmail Poster
toothhealer88
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 07:46 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 689

We have the eskimo 3i and no complaints with it-great hut.Got it at CT last year on sale.check kijiji as you may get a great deal there as well.Good luck

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 08:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (Gone4Fishn @ Nov 08, 2018 - 06:55 pm)
I canít find any store that has this in stock Eskimo 949i.
I think we will be ok with 2to 3.  I wonít take all the kids out anyway.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?act...-Tent/&se=27212

Here's one.. It says free shipping but I'm sure there would be a charge for it..

3i is a great choice either way...

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace