Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Free license for veterans and military members
steph491
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 09:46 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 2752

I served for almost 15 years, 3 tour in Afghanistan. And Iím pretty happy about this news.

Ontario to offer free fishing licences for veterans and current military members.

The government released a statement saying it's amending fishing regulations to exempt veterans and active service members from having to buy a fishing licence.

They say military members would then be able to fish for free across the province by early 2019.

Natural Resources Minister John Yakabuski says the move†is a way of thanking members of the military for their service.

"We enjoy the rights and freedoms we have today because of the sacrifices of those brave women and men throughout history and those actively serving to defend our rights and freedoms," he said.

PMEmail Poster
TyFrench17
Posted: Nov 08, 2018 - 11:11 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8307

QUOTE (steph491 @ Nov 08, 2018 - 09:46 pm)
I served for almost 15 years, 3 tour in Afghanistan. And Iím pretty happy about this news.

Ontario to offer free fishing licences for veterans and current military members.

The government released a statement saying it's amending fishing regulations to exempt veterans and active service members from having to buy a fishing licence.

They say military members would then be able to fish for free across the province by early 2019.

Natural Resources Minister John Yakabuski says the move†is a way of thanking members of the military for their service.

"We enjoy the rights and freedoms we have today because of the sacrifices of those brave women and men throughout history and those actively serving to defend our rights and freedoms," he said.

Thank you for your service

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 05:26 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

And thank you as well, from a fellow brother in arms.

This comes too late for me as I'm already exempt because of age, but it's a very welcome decision by the Ministry.

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 05:49 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13060

It is about time the gov cuts our vets some slack and treat them with the respect they have earned and deserve.

Thank you for serving.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 08:56 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Well deserved

Thank you for your service.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 09:13 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

I guess it's just a small amount of money but it's a nice symbolic act

PMEmail Poster
Woodsman
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 09:25 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 477

No mention of required proof needed for veterans.
Many veterans do not have government issued veterans ID.
They are now rolling out a new veterans card but it will take quite some time to be issued to many.
Those who released before 2016 can't even apply for it until after the summer of 2019.
With the record searches it won't be a quick process.
That won't help me much on January 1st.

PMEmail Poster
steph491
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 10:56 am

Adult Trout

as per veterans ID, the CFOne card is the veterans ID proof until new veteran card comes out.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sniperlee
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 10:57 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 939

QUOTE (steph491 @ Nov 08, 2018 - 09:46 pm)

Thanks for your service. About bloody time they came up with something to give back to veterans.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 10:57 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

as long as the MNR guys are informed at the time, another reason to keep my "tags" on "Bravo Zulu fellas for your service

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
longfish
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 11:02 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10648

That is awesome news for vets and those currently in the services.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Woodsman
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 11:52 am

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (steph491 @ Nov 09, 2018 - 10:56 am)
as per veterans ID, the CFOne card is the veterans ID proof until new veteran card comes out.

The provincial government hasn't stated what proof will be accepted.
I highly doubt the CFOne card will be accepted. Not a photo ID. Also it is available to non veterans.

PMEmail Poster
kevin
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 12:29 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14872

The CFone card has the designation in the bottom left corner. Yes it isn't photo ID at this time but will be in the future. I guess you would need to carry your drivers license as well. Or take the chance that if the CFone card does not belong to you then you are impersonating a military personnel which is a criminal offence and of course a really sh**ty thing to do.

PMEmail Poster
steph491
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 02:16 pm

Adult Trout

Thatís correct and itís why I posted a picture of it. I didnít want to make this tread an arguments tread.

I was just happy about something good for our veterans and serving member.

Cheers

PMEmail Poster
Woodsman
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 03:26 pm

Trophy Trout

Let's face it. At this point we are at best guessing about what will be accepted as proof of service? They haven't stated this yet which was my point.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace