Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> White Fish
eric1112
Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 03:02 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 1456

I've heard that they're in nip but I've never caught one. Mind you I haven't targeted them. Last time I was up we fished fairly deep, 30-40ft and that would be plenty for simcoe whiteys. Anyone try out a meegs or have any luck catching them consistently?

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 03:19 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Years ago when Ross and Betty owned Idle Tyme Ross would catch white fish consistently. We have been doing a trip up every winter for years now and we have only managed to land a couple over the years, we are usually around the 30 feet deep mark every year. Member Longshank fishes Nipissing every winter and he has had some great success over the years landing white fish as well. I have heard from a few the good old fashion tip up is what they have the most success on when fishing for whities, Ross used to tell us to watch for the tip up to rise rather than drop when targeting them as they are bottom feeders and tend to suck the minnows up. They are in there for sure.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 05:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Just to clarify.....yes, I used to do much better with whities there years back when fishing different areas of the lake.

Where I am now, it would seem only the odd cruiser comes through. At lest for me

tip-ups, 2 way spreader did work as well as a Williams spoon. as did single minnows about 3 feet under the ice, not near bottom

now, they are as elusive to me as keeper walleye

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Woodsman
Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 07:08 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 477

Years ago we use to get a few cruising just under the ice.
And these we considered Georgian Bay humpbacks.
Not small ones to be confused with Cisco's.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 06, 2019 - 09:55 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Woodsman @ Mar 06, 2019 - 07:08 pm)
Years ago we use to get a few cruising just under the ice.
And these we considered Georgian Bay humpbacks.
Not small ones to be confused with Cisco's.

for sure, plus much larger as well

kokemachine
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 05:35 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4328

My area is only 20 ft deep at most. I have caught a few ciscos incidentally over the years. I'm not sure if the whiteys would be cruising under the ice in that shallow of water but I may try to set a minnow right below the ice over the last few days in the season. I always am focusing on the bottom. It would be sweet to pick up a whitey.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 08:08 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12683

A Whitefish fishtale.
Many years back while fishing with a friend,his friend pulled up two massive whitefish in the deep trough at the islands.I later asked him how much they weighed and he replied 13 and 15lbs in which I said he may have ate a record book fish.I guess will never know if Nipissing had the biggest whitefish.I did see them and they were huge.

PMEmail Poster
eric1112
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 11:17 am

Smolt Trout

Never would have thought right under the ice, always fish for them on bottom at simcoe.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 11:45 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (eric1112 @ Mar 07, 2019 - 01:17 pm)
Never would have thought right under the ice, always fish for them on bottom at simcoe.

My buddy lives on the Ottawa River across from Temiskaming QC. His morning routine is to go down to the dock with his morning coffee and take a few casts, one morning he had a white fish hit his surface lure, surprised him.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 01:21 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (eric1112 @ Mar 07, 2019 - 11:17 am)

yep, but this is not Simcoe....

I found this out by accident as I was getting a line set to go and got a hit on the other one so, just got the first line in the water about a foot under ice.

got the small walleye and while reeling it up, the shallow set rod starts sliding across the floor nice whitie on there just past 4 pounds

Woodsman
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 06:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 477

QUOTE (Longshank @ Mar 07, 2019 - 01:21 pm)
QUOTE (eric1112 @ Mar 07, 2019 - 11:17 am)

yep, but this is not Simcoe....

I found this out by accident as I was getting a line set to go and got a hit on the other one so, just got the first line in the water about a foot under ice.

got the small walleye and while reeling it up, the shallow set rod starts sliding across the floor nice whitie on there just past 4 pounds

Basically my story about shallow whitie's on Nip.

PMEmail Poster
Miskit
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 09:40 am

Fry

Member No.: 2968

A few years back i had just put three fresh minnows on a spreader and we decided to pull the lines up for the night. I pulled up the line and left it in the hole so that the minnows were kept alive and then forgot about the line. The next morning i broke open the hole and and pulled out the biggest whitie we have on our records since we have been going to Nippissing. He had managed to eat the first two minnows and got caught on the last hook. What a nice surprise in the morning.

shane

PMEmail Poster
nuzpaper
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 12:10 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2396

When ice fishing the west arm narrows as a kid it seemed that whitefish were the only thing we caught. 6-7' down with a minnow and a hook. We only fished right in front of the cottage so maybe that just happened to be where they hung out in the winter cause once soft water hit we never caught them.

PMEmail Poster
eric1112
Posted: Mar 09, 2019 - 03:11 pm

Smolt Trout

Talk about timing. Just caught on a minow and a jig, 31ft on bottom.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 09, 2019 - 04:45 pm

World Record Trout

nice one fir sure

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace