Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lake Nipissing winter season
smalleye99
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 09:32 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 14006

Is there any reason that the walleye season doesn't end on the lake at the same time as the other lakes in the area, on the 17th? Closes two days before the March break ends.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 10:15 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3521

Fishing pressure. The open water season for perch and walleye also closes earlier (in October). I could be wrong, but I think the whole lake used to be a fish sanctuary from Oct until Jan 1st.
Nipissing is treated as it's own FMZ (and actually used to be). March 15 is just the day they picked.. now whether they did that to purposely cut it a weekend early and it's a defferent date every year, or the date stays the same and that's just how it worked out I honestly don't know. I seem to remember it closing on a Sunday in the past, earlier than the surrounding area? I also want to think they extended it a week a few years ago.. but can't be certain.

I deer hunt. We hunt management unit 42, which borders unit 47. The gun season in each unit opens on the same day with the same regulations. But 42 closes on a Saturday and unit 47 the Sunday of the same weekend. Nobody I have ever asked knows why there is a 1 day difference. Now for 2018 they "tweaked" some of the hunting regulations to make things more consistent across the province. You would think they would have "tweaked" units 42 & 47 to close on the same day, but no.. it remains the same

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace