Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> New 3 year agreement with NFN on walleye recovery
Grumpa
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 - 06:33 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4676

https://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2019/03/onta...e-recovery.html

Ontario has signed a new 3 year agreement/extension with Nipissing First Nation to continue their joint efforts to support the lake's current walleye recovery that's underway.
The memorandum of understanding (MOU) has been a critical step forward by both the OMNRF and NFN to combine efforts, data and resources for the benefit of the fishery.

PM
Chevy
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 - 06:52 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Lets hope the lake keeps moving forward. Thanks for posting Grumpa.

Cheers
Kerry

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 09:41 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Great news, every bit counts to help sustain the walleye popuiation

PMEmail Poster
WTFish
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 11:18 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14462

So is there anything in there that limits the commercial harvest?

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 02:40 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4676

QUOTE (WTFish @ Mar 13, 2019 - 11:18 am)
So is there anything in there that limits the commercial harvest?

There's a 'mutually' agreed upon commercial harvest quota establish for the year. If the quota is reached prior to the end of the commercial netting season, NFN has discontinued netting operations.
Generally, commercial netting has ceased as of September and even as early as August most seasons.
Joint co-operation and adherence has been good.

PM
ldub
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 03:13 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

What confuses me is why sport fishermen have to adhere to a size limit. But NFN can harvest any size walleye. But agreed any cooporation is beneficial.

PMEmail Poster
thrillhouse
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 04:46 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3420

Always appreciate these links, keep it up grumpa

PMEmail Poster
FishBio
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 06:23 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 3439

The NFN commercial fishery is size selective because of the mesh size of the gill nets used. In their Fisheries Law the nets have to have a 3.75 inch stretched mesh size. This restricts the size of fish caught. Also any large Walleye cannot be sold because of mercury.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 - 10:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (FishBio @ Mar 13, 2019 - 06:23 pm)
The NFN commercial fishery is size selective because of the mesh size of the gill nets used. In their Fisheries Law the nets have to have a 3.75 inch stretched mesh size. This restricts the size of fish caught. Also any large Walleye cannot be sold because of mercury.

Saw that the mesh size increased to 3.75. my question is what size does that

catch or not catch?

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
LiveBates
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 - 06:58 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7271

I'm no rocket scientist...but by my observation over the last 6 years
is..... the net size reflects the amount of keepers you see each year. Plenty of non-keepers every year...but they mysteriously vanish over the coarse of the next ice season. Just an observation...........

PMEmail Poster
WTFish
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 - 08:01 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14462

We've been going to bungalows for 4 years with 6+ people for 4 days each time. While we caught a good number of walleye, we did not catch a single keeper in this time. Additionally no huts around us caught any keepers either. We've been going early in January and with one of the best regarded operators on the lake and we are experienced fishermen.

So from my experience anyway, the recreational harvest is almost ZERO already. If harvest is in any way preventing restoration of the fishery, it's because of commercial fishing.

We are giving up on Nipissing and looking for greener pastures. I guess maintaining commercial fishery is the only interest on that lake.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 - 08:05 am

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (FishBio @ Mar 13, 2019 - 06:23 pm)

I don't know what this means, not being an expert. But I would think any net that catches smaller fish would also catch larger fish. From what I've read, there are other types of nets, that allow for a more selective harvest, of course these would require more work and less of a haul per haul. If larger fish can't be sold, what happens to them?

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 - 08:16 am

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (WTFish @ Mar 14, 2019 - 08:01 am)
We've been going to bungalows for 4 years with 6+ people for 4 days each time. While we caught a good number of walleye, we did not catch a single keeper in this time. Additionally no huts around us caught any keepers either. We've been going early in January and with one of the best regarded operators on the lake and we are experienced fishermen.

So from my experience anyway, the recreational harvest is almost ZERO already. If harvest is in any way preventing restoration of the fishery, it's because of commercial fishing.

We are giving up on Nipissing and looking for greener pastures. I guess maintaining commercial fishery is the only interest on that lake.

Couldn't agree more, I will continue to go just because we love Nipissing and the whole Ice fishing experience. But seriously, sportsfishermen have been more then patient, and bring a ton of cash to the area. Give us something, even if it's one fish any size, something anything, two fish per hut, if you go with an operator. Get creative, we bring in millions of dollars, time to show a little appreciation.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 - 09:51 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12683

Usually i would not comment on this as its been a long pointless recurring topic and considered negative and Racist.Beating a dead dog as they say so absolutely a waste of time.I'm glad WTF used the word Commercial as that is the point and nothing else.Not about first rights,it's about MONEY,nothing else,Encouraged,endorsed and allowed retail sales brought in by past Gov't. with MPP Smith holding a cheque. Sorry Grumps, I know You hate this stuff. Lets all sit in a circle of shame and sing Kumbaya

WTF WROTE>We are giving up on Nipissing and looking for greener pastures. I guess maintaining commercial fishery is the only interest on that lake.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 14, 2019 - 10:04 am

Trophy Trout

Allowing a commercial fishery on top of a fragile, recovering population is hypocrisy at its finest.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace