Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ice shelter/hut - looking for your opinion, Non-insulated ?? or Insulated ??
miro
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 08:07 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3947

Yes the insulated huts are a little heavier, But I find the extra weight makes them easier to set up, especially on windy days compared to non insulated.

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 04:02 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

Just picked up an Eskimo 3i at CT on clearance. 299. And I got $40 in CT money for spending over 200. So itís like I got it for 260. Thatís a great deal for insulated model. I have the regular Quickfish 5. I just find I donít always need all the space when alone and itís harder to keep warm as well as the condensation issue. Thereís a few things I really like about this new shelter as well. It has a black roof which I think will take advantage of the sun. And the bag is way oversized, with Velcro cinch straps built right in. Also the grommets are in the skirt itself instead of inside which I like. Looking forward to the ice so I can try it out.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 10:55 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13018

QUOTE (Fishin fan @ Nov 14, 2018 - 04:02 am)
Just picked up an Eskimo 3i at CT on clearance. 299. And I got $40 in CT money for spending over 200. So itís like I got it for 260. Thatís a great deal for insulated model. I have the regular Quickfish 5. I just find I donít always need all the space when alone and itís harder to keep warm as well as the condensation issue. Thereís a few things I really like about this new shelter as well. It has a black roof which I think will take advantage of the sun. And the bag is way oversized, with Velcro cinch straps built right in. Also the grommets are in the skirt itself instead of inside which I like. Looking forward to the ice so I can try it out.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I also saw this in my local CT on clearance. But the box was opened and not sure if its missing parts. manager wouldn't want me to check.

I'm wondering with the sled inside how much room you have left.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 01:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

There are other CT's that show stock..
I was watching for the 949i to go on sale but never did.. I couldn't turn down the sale price on the 3i .. That's a terrific price for the 3i...

PMEmail Poster
linemanac
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 01:16 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14841

I use a none insulated ekmino and it works great, in -20 C plus windchill I am sitting inside in a tshirt because it is too warm.

I find you need to cover all around with snow and if you place a fan in the hut it will fix the condensation and most the problems associated with non insulated huts;)

My main reason for the non-insulated is I was always walking and did not want a heavy bulky pop up.

PMEmail Poster
zuperalexu
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 01:28 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7874

I used to have a Frabill Bro Hub insulated that I used for the last two years. I found that it was great for two people but most of the time I fish alone in the hut so it was not holding the heat too well with just one person. I also didn't like the zippers but I guess this is a common issue with the ice huts.

Long story short, I sold the frabill and purchased the OTTER XTH PRO CABIN insulated from Bass Pro. This one is slightly smaller and the ceiling is not as high so I think it will hold the heat much better. It has built in straps and rod holders inside.

The price was pretty good as Bass Pro sold it for $330.00 CAD + tax and in US you can buy it for $300.00 USD + tax.

Alex

PMEmail Poster
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 01:30 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (fishmagnet @ Nov 14, 2018 - 01:16 pm)
There are other CT's that show stock..
I was watching for the 949i to go on sale but never did.. I couldn't turn down the sale price on the 3i .. That's a terrific price for the 3i...

949i is on sale at Amazon. But i bought the frabil i-float first while it was on sale for $227.

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 05:17 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Gone4Fishn @ Nov 14, 2018 - 10:55 am)

Dave

Hi Dave,

I also saw this in my local CT on clearance. But the box was opened and not sure if its missing parts. manager wouldn't want me to check.

Are you saying the sled you pull everything out in and put it inside, how much room would be left? Enough for 1. Maybe two. I have a pelican cover so I keep my sled outside. This hut would fish 2 comfortably. 3 would be crowded. My sled fits in my Quickfish 5 no prob with room to spare.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
fish hawk
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 07:20 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 374

I have a older Clam pop up none insulated.

I have a propane heater inside and it stays very warm. Occasionally I have to turn the heat off , it gets nice ad warm.
Condensation is not a problem. I like this pop up because I can stand up, lots of headroom and I'm tall 6'3" no problem standing up.

PMEmail Poster
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 10:44 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Fishin fan @ Nov 14, 2018 - 05:17 pm)
QUOTE (Gone4Fishn @ Nov 14, 2018 - 10:55 am)

Dave

Hi Dave,

Are you saying the sled you pull everything out in and put it inside, how much room would be left? Enough for 1. Maybe two. I have a pelican cover so I keep my sled outside. This hut would fish 2 comfortably. 3 would be crowded. My sled fits in my Quickfish 5 no prob with room to spare.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

This helps me decide for 949i.

Cheers!!!

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Nov 15, 2018 - 06:43 am

World Record Trout

Good choice. The 3I is mostly for when Iím solo or with just one other. I still have the 5 if I am taking more people. Was thinking of selling it but will probably keep it. Enjoy the new hut.

Dave

PMEmail Poster
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Nov 16, 2018 - 08:45 pm

Parr Trout

Hi,

Here we go again!! Lol

We were about to purchase 949i then we found out that Woods Toaster 3-4ppl is on sale at CT.
Later this afternoon I received an email from CT - received 50X when you purchase any Ice Fishing.
Then a small add on my browser from Rona appeared. The Mr Heater $90 4000 - 9000 BTU.
Attached Image

We headed out to CT after work and first asked to price match Rona.

Price match approved!!!

We bought the ice shelter.
Attached Image

And we got CT to price match Ronaís price.
Attached Image

And I got my 50x from CT

I know we got a good deal. The question now is. If the ice shelter is any good. Even thought it has no review. + side itís insulated.

Our next on the list is a sled and ice chisel.

TightLines

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Nov 16, 2018 - 10:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Set it up and take it down a few times so you get the hang of it..

It has the same demensions as the 3i....

PMEmail Poster
Cessna172
Posted: Nov 16, 2018 - 10:43 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7828

I have both all I can say is buy INSULATED

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace