Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Daughter's first deer and end of 2021, New Year's Eve Hunt
Species8472
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 12:17 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16923

I only hunted twice this deer season and broke my leg on the first outing and than figured $%#^ the leg and scored a buck on a solo hunt mid November but my broken leg paid price for that one so i chose to live vicariously for the rest of 2021 season. With my kids home for Xmas/New Year's i managed to get my son on a deer on boxing day at our camp. That basically filled the quota for camp deer so my daughter got to hunt a friend's farm on New Year's Eve. Gave her a quick lesson on how to use the climber and got her set up on a funnel that has historically been very good. She was equipped with my custom 380 which has been my go to for the last 2 years - really just should be show piece but i love that bow and it has taken 7 big game critters in the last 2 years alone.

Attached Image

I headed up to the barn to read a book while she hunted but at 430 she texted me "deer down." This was only her second hunt ever and turns out it was a good one. Went back to meet her and bolt was easy to find and the deer left a blood trail a blind man could follow and dropped in sight about 50 yards away.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Nice doe that we had dressed, loaded and hung at home by 530 pm. Daughter assisted with the field dressing but i did the bulk of the cutting but let her drag it to the truck in the toboggan. Home for dinner and drinks made the wife happy. Post mortem showed a clean double lung with a nicked liver. Heart was untouched. Bolt was a 20 inch 0.003 Zombie Slayer and broad head was a 125 grain fixed blade Montec G5.

The 380 - Excalibur Matrix 380 limbs and riser, Relayer Stock, 2 stage Triggertech trigger, Boo string, Leupold Mark 4 illuminated glass (glass in pic is a Vortex XBR - since upgraded):

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 07:34 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

What a fantastic end to the season. Congratulations to your daughter.
Now with that said, how in the heck did you break your leg ?

Cheers

PMEmail Poster
Toolman13
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 10:08 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6735

Congratulations to your daughter ! Fantastic
Nice clean shot and perfect blood trail.
Doesn't get any better than that.
Thanks for sharing

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 11:09 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9278

Nice deer! Congratulations to you and your daughter. I went out plenty of times and ended up empty handed, although if I had a doe tag could have taken some shots!

I donít know if iam in the wrong about this but I will take a stab at it anyway to make sure a fellow hunter and his family are safe.
Not to question your hunting experience or knowledge in anyway but your daughter in that pic dosent look safe with no harness on the summit, also I could be wrong or the picture is deceiving but the climber looks to much slanted upwards. Not at all trying to pic a fight because Iím a newbie but looks unsafe in that pic. Unless you just took a quick pic from the tree she was on? Or could be a different type of summit then mine but once you get settled in you should more of a slightly higher than a 90degree on the stand. Sheís also not that far up on the tree to severally hurt herself if thatís the case also, But I would not go higher in that position with or without a harness.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 03:10 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15869

Awesome story and I love the picture of that blood trail! Congratulations on your daughters deer. Enjoy some fine venison.

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 07:24 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (1stdrift @ Jan 09, 2022 - 11:09 am)
Nice deer! Congratulations to you and your daughter.† I went out plenty of times† and ended up empty handed, although if I had a doe tag could have taken some shots!

I donít know if iam in the wrong about this but I will take a stab at it anyway to make sure a fellow hunter and his family are safe.
Not to question your hunting experience or knowledge in anyway but your daughter in that pic dosent look safe with no harness on the summit, also I could be wrong or the picture is deceiving but the climber looks to much slanted upwards. Not at all trying to pic a fight because Iím a newbie but looks unsafe in that pic. Unless you just took a quick pic from the tree she was on? Or could be a different type of summit then mine but once you get settled† in you should more of a slightly higher than a 90degree on the stand. Sheís also not that far up on the tree to severally hurt herself if thatís the case also,† But I would not go higher in that position with or without a harness.

You are correct there is no harness. Got out there and realized we forgot it. Hence the low height setting (5 feet to bottom platform). In regards to the angle it may be the pic as it is set at the optimum angle as described in the manual.

As for experience the buck i arrowed in mid-november is #89 for me personally. Last time i had tag soup was 1981. Filled 1 to 7 tags every season since. Although i freely admit most of that is due to hunting incredible properties with historical availability of additional tags.

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 07:43 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Chevy @ Jan 09, 2022 - 07:34 am)

Cheers

Well the leg is an interesting one.

On the archery opener (Oct 01) i was hunting solo off-grid. Hunted until dark and than started the the 3 km walk back to my truck. About 500 metres into the walk out and 2.5 km from the truck i set about crossing a steep ravine. Crossed that ravine 100s of time before in the same spot.

Well getting old or stupid or both. Stepped on a log (should have stepped over or gone around) and it rolled. I tumbled about 50 or 60 feet down the side of the ravine. Luckily i was actually wearing my pack properly (both shoulder straps and waist strap actually cinched tight) so it stayed with me. I knew there was an issue right away as i couldn't stand.

In the pack among the various emergency items i carry is a tactical hatchet, benchmade bushcrafter, 100 feet of paracord, first aid kit that incliudes ibuprofen and 8 oz of whiskey. So being unable to stand i immediately took 800 mg of ibuprofen, ate a small amount of peanuts and jerky, drank 8 oz of water and than drank the 8 oz of whiskey. I than waited for 45 minutes laying on my back. As i had no cell service i knew i was on my own until my wife eventually got worried enough to send the cavalry.

After 45 minutes the whiskey and ibuprofen took the edge off just enough to get on my feet. Than used my tools on hand to fashion a splint from wood and paracord and than fashioned crude crutches from wood and paracord. Than proceeded to hobble out to my truck - time from fall to truck was 4 hours. Short enough my wife had not gotten worried enough to track me down yet.

I than decided the best course of action was to borrow crutches from the neighbour and use whiskey and ibuprofen to sleep at night. Did that for 10 days before finally caving and going to the doc as per my wife's demands. Turns out i split my right tibia (between ankle and knee) vertically like a piece of kindling.

Doc told me to stay off it for 4 to 6 months as it is bad break to have and heals slowly (being mid/late 50s probably doesn't help). Well i did that for 5 weeks and than said fook this and went back out solo bow hunting. Climbed an 18 foot ladder stand one-legged and arrowed a nice buck. Recovered, dressed and loaded the buck solo. Paid for it severely. But between my son, daughter and myself the freezer is full. Been mostly off it since and it progressing nicely.

Figure i'll be on the sled ice fishing in 2 weeks.

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 08:12 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

They don't make them like you anymore species 8472. You are a super trooper. You left out the kind of whiskey got you through. Cheers to a good recovery and a full freezer

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 11:33 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (mydogbites @ Jan 09, 2022 - 08:12 pm)
They don't make them like you anymore species 8472. You are a super trooper. You left out the kind of whiskey got you through. Cheers to a good recovery and a full freezer†

For that i use my everyday go to which is Forty Creek. I also turn over the 8 oz every 6 months or so as it is in a flask. Funniest part of the whole story is i made it back to the truck too fast and had to wait 2.5 hours until i figured i was legal to drive. I was however able to call the wife and let her know the scoop as i had signal at the truck.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Jan 10, 2022 - 05:32 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Wow ! That was quite an adventure.
Iíd like to think I could keep my composure during an ordeal like yours but feel panic might get the best of me.
Your preparation and calmness were absolutely on point.

Cheers

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Jan 12, 2022 - 10:02 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9278

QUOTE (Species8472 @ Jan 09, 2022 - 07:43 pm)
QUOTE (Chevy @ Jan 09, 2022 - 07:34 am)

Cheers

Well the leg is an interesting one.

On the archery opener (Oct 01) i was hunting solo off-grid. Hunted until dark and than started the the 3 km walk back to my truck. About 500 metres into the walk out and 2.5 km from the truck i set about crossing a steep ravine. Crossed that ravine 100s of time before in the same spot.

Well getting old or stupid or both. Stepped on a log (should have stepped over or gone around) and it rolled. I tumbled about 50 or 60 feet down the side of the ravine. Luckily i was actually wearing my pack properly (both shoulder straps and waist strap actually cinched tight) so it stayed with me. I knew there was an issue right away as i couldn't stand.

In the pack among the various emergency items i carry is a tactical hatchet, benchmade bushcrafter, 100 feet of paracord, first aid kit that incliudes ibuprofen and 8 oz of whiskey. So being unable to stand i immediately took 800 mg of ibuprofen, ate a small amount of peanuts and jerky, drank 8 oz of water and than drank the 8 oz of whiskey. I than waited for 45 minutes laying on my back. As i had no cell service i knew i was on my own until my wife eventually got worried enough to send the cavalry.

After 45 minutes the whiskey and ibuprofen took the edge off just enough to get on my feet. Than used my tools on hand to fashion a splint from wood and paracord and than fashioned crude crutches from wood and paracord. Than proceeded to hobble out to my truck - time from fall to truck was 4 hours. Short enough my wife had not gotten worried enough to track me down yet.

I than decided the best course of action was to borrow crutches from the neighbour and use whiskey and ibuprofen to sleep at night. Did that for 10 days before finally caving and going to the doc as per my wife's demands. Turns out i split my right tibia (between ankle and knee) vertically like a piece of kindling.

Doc told me to stay off it for 4 to 6 months as it is bad break to have and heals slowly (being mid/late 50s probably doesn't help). Well i did that for 5 weeks and than said fook this and went back out solo bow hunting. Climbed an 18 foot ladder stand one-legged and arrowed a nice buck. Recovered, dressed and loaded the buck solo. Paid for it severely. But between my son, daughter and myself the freezer is full. Been mostly off it since and it progressing nicely.

Figure i'll be on the sled ice fishing in 2 weeks.

Wow thatís a serious story. Itís good you kept yourself together.
Ibuprofen and some whiskey better then any pain killer thatís for sure lolol.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll