Outdoors Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wow!, $30 reel
browns
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 12:21 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8626

QUOTE (GrandRiverWill @ Mar 27, 2018 - 08:36 am)
You always get what ya pay for. Just because it has 11 ball bearings doesn't mean its good.

Be wary if its made in China

Check the seals, if there are any, and make sure it will prevent dirt/sand from getting into the reel bearings because that's how they sh*t out reel quick

Exactly.... stick to a good Irish name like the shimano clan not that crap made over seas.

I too would like a review after a few outings ...especially if you buy a baitcaster.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 12:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

They make OK stuff at a bargain price. It looks fancy and the spec sheet looks impressive on day 1. They dont make spare parts, they will just send a new reel if you have a problem with it initially. Amazon reviews are easy to manipulate with free replacements and giveaways. (use fakespot.com to check for bad reviews)1-2 years down the road you have a problem maybe if you mail it to china they will replace it, but thats the same cost as a new reel.

I want my equipment to last 5-10yrs+ brand name equipment isnt hard to find at bargain. Local warranty and repair makes it an easy choice for me to avoid KastKing.

If you only fish couple times a year it will last a while maybe, but I wouldnt expect it to last frequent usage.

Made in China is fine, but being based in China and doing warranty and service work from China doesnt work for me. (Apple products are made in China but the warranty and customer service is handled locally so they are often seen as premium products)

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 02:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

I don't mind a Chinese reel and don't expect a reel to last year's and years personally. Maybe I'm just tough on my gear but 5 -10 years would be a miracle. Also chances are I'd get the shop bug by then and want to buy new reels like women and their shoes. How ever value is huge but doesn't just affect the price. I have a Chinese baitcaster that I bought on line last year for like 50 bucks. It held out great all year long without any problems and I'm sure if it broke they would either replace it or if not I could buy it again 3 or 4 more times to make up for a new name brand reel.
I also have 3 diawa tatulas and one never worked right when I bought it. Took it in to get fixed and they fixed it for free as it was still under warranty and I took it to an authorised dealer. Problem is that it took for ever waiting for the part to come in. Enough time in fact that I could have bought another reel in that time so. Take the good with the bad and the bad with the good I guess lol.

I have how ever bought 2 more of those Chinese baitcaster though I've never had a reel cast so far in my life and There's something about casting further then I ever have before for just 50 bucks the grabs me. Maybe the 4 million and one ball bearings that it claims to have has something to do with that lol.

It's also good as I don't have to worry if I lose it as it didn't cost an arm and a leg. That very same tatula that I finally got back... didn't even get to use it. It flew out of my boat on the highway and was never to be seen again. By me any way. Who knows maybe someone found it and is enjoying it along with my favourite rod.

PMEmail Poster
Nado
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 03:30 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8095

QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Mar 27, 2018 - 12:43 pm)
They make OK stuff at a bargain price. It looks fancy and the spec sheet looks impressive on day 1. They dont make spare parts, they will just send a new reel if you have a problem with it initially. Amazon reviews are easy to manipulate with free replacements and giveaways. (use fakespot.com to check for bad reviews)1-2 years down the road you have a problem maybe if you mail it to china they will replace it, but thats the same cost as a new reel.

Are you speaking from first or second hand experience? I wouldn't say that most of their reels are even that much of a bargain. If you compare to a domestic mid range reel like a Diawa Revros reels like the Kastking Sharky aren't really that cheap. The Kodiak reel I am looking at would end up costing $90 Canadian if I got it on their sale tomorrow which is a fortune for a reel designed and manufactured in China.

They do have low cost reels but those are made cheaply similar to the Shimano FX reels. Step up the price a bit to at least the Sharky and you suddenly get the higher quality materials. I would bet Shimano paid somewhere around 20 bucks to have my Saros made in China then turned around and sold it to me for $150.

PMEmail Poster
drwxr
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 03:56 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9054

Stop hating the reel because it's from china and assume its bad. Watch youtube videos where people put hours of fishing and abuse their reels and then see if you have anything bad to say while sitting on the couch making up stories why it's bad.
Kastking make good reels, esp Kodiak and Sharky.

canuckskin enjoy the new reel!

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 04:26 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

Went to a dealership for a Japanese car to get parts one time and all the parts or boxes were labeled "made in china". And that was straight OEM dealer parts.

Not everything made in china is crap. There is the good and the bad.

There are two major cell phone makes out there right now that make up over 80% of the market. Guess where they are made?

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 04:33 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12767

QUOTE (Nado @ Mar 27, 2018 - 12:11 pm)
Ive been eyeing up the Kodiak Saltwater edition and it seems pretty high end. Stainless steel main shaft, cast alloy drive gear, brass pinion gear, main body is all aluminum, aluminum rotor, carbon fiber drag, fully sealed body etc.

These are the kind of specs that you see in high end reels in the $300-500 range. Even my Shimano Saros which I paid at least $150 for is mostly plastic.

They have an official store on ali express with all of their products.

Kast King Store

the only thing plastic on the mela2 is the drag cap.

The company is out of New York, but like all North American companies, their material goods get outsourced , oversea's, which , to this day I cannot comprehend, I know why , but still bothers me
But I digress. The schematic parts list that came in the box, picture I provided, has American address for customer service. Somebody said on another forum ,but the thread got deleted,said the customer service is out of China and does not offer replacement parts. Which is total nonsense!

Everyone should know by now that everything you buy here, is from oversea's , with materials, that come from oversea's. unless otherwise stated. (which is quite rare!!!)

Many other companies have had horror stories, regarding customer service and defunct product's, and also have their fair share of good and bad review's.

Some people like Hamburger's, Some people don't
some of you buy from mcdonalds, some of you buy from the burger priest

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 04:52 pm

Lunker Trout

Oh ya I forgot..

I looked at the shipping box again this morning and I noticed the RETURN ADDRESS was from Mississauga,Ont.. which makes sense as to why it came in under 2 weeks.

Perhaps they have a supplier warehouse there.

For those of you who might be thinking of ordering a new reel.

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 04:59 pm

Lunker Trout

address

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 05:13 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

Great price !!!

Rather stick with a rapala reel / product because of warranty .

And there located in Oshawa . Any defects , issues or parts they are always available to service .

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 06:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

https://youtu.be/NaGCBySnKzY

They look pretty good..

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 06:23 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

There seem to be a lot of good reviews regarding kastking products. I personally haven't seen any long term reviews.

That being said, I still stick to proven name brands. Much like Kia and Hyundai, if kastking makes a good product it won't be long until they to become a proven brand name.

PMEmail Poster
drwxr
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 06:26 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9054

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/5FJtGiDNaPI[/YOUTUBE]

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 - 06:28 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (sabby @ Mar 27, 2018 - 07:23 pm)
There seem to be a lot of good reviews regarding kastking products. I personally haven't seen any long term reviews.

That being said, I still stick to proven name brands. Much like Kia and Hyundai, if kastking makes a good product it won't be long until they to become a proven brand name.

there is quite a few that go back a few years. with pictures provided. Many are from ocean catches. kastking is a fairly new company. 2011. and with all new companies, it takes some time to build a reputation and iron out the kinks.

rome wasn't built (or destroyed) in one day.

PMEmail Poster
canuckskin
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 - 04:58 am

Lunker Trout

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace