Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Still haven't caught a Walleye
rivermaster
Posted: Sep 12, 2018 - 06:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4686

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm surprised I've never caught one by accident before. They must not be too keen on bass baits lol.

PMEmail Poster
Fishallday
Posted: Sep 12, 2018 - 08:05 pm

Fry

Member No.: 16297

The time of year (season) and where on the lake the walleye may be feeding or holdings up. Locating them is the most important step.

Then the proper tactic to make sure your presentation is at the right depth where they are feeding or holding that reaches the fish.

Live bait is always good, but lures will outfish live bait in many circumstances because you can get reaction hits and cover more water. Eratic retrieve is key.

Your fishing line is no more than 10lb test.

Be quiet, especially bangs in the boat like dropping the net on the floor, footsteps, starting the motor or driving over them. Talking is OK at a moderate level.

Lake must hold good numbers or all for nothing. Why do you think all the walleye pros do their shows on lake erie...lol

This post has been edited by Fishallday on Sep 12, 2018 - 08:07 pm

PM
nbender81
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 - 08:01 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14362

Oh, walleye like bass baits. Some of my biggest have come on spinnerbaits actually while targeting shallow LMB.

Not sure where you are fishing, but hit the channels and fish the weed edge. I use a Texas rigged craw or creature on a 3/8 bullet weight and go looking for smallmouth and catch walleye too in the same spots. Allows me to fish the bottom and work the weeds without hang ups. Walleye love the creatures and craws especially.

Here is one from last week. This one was caught on a 6" creature.

This post has been edited by nbender81 on Sep 13, 2018 - 08:02 pm

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
basstard
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 - 08:17 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8583

I was just like you, had a tough go with Walleye. I trolled for hours and hours with nothing different lures and baits. Take a spoon with a worm, and drift off bottom. Give it a shot.

PMEmail Poster
nbender81
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 - 08:38 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14362

And you have to be near the weeds! Like in them!

PMEmail Poster
Paul j
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 - 08:49 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9597

I catch most of my walleye on bucktail jigs, ripping them thru the weeds and edges, caught my PB this summer.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 08:26 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11988

With fall coming, crankbaits and jerkbaits cast off of piers which have rocky bottoms and rock or weed flats nearby will put you onto fish. I usually start fishing about 30 minutes before sunset and continue into the night.

For me, Rapala crankbaits and jerkbaits work well in the yellow perch, perch, black/silver patterns work well. I fish these on a 7'MF spinning outfit with 20lbs braid and a piece of 10lbs fluoro attached to prevent line damage in the event I come into contact with zebra mussels and rocks.

Last year starting at this time I was catching numbers of keepers along with some big smallmouth and average sized musky too. Below is pictured the average walter that I caught.

Hope you have a fun time!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
walleyeman107
Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 11:38 am

Fry

Member No.: 4050

Try trolling a worm harness at about 15 to 20 feet and donít give up do long trolls a keep going over the same spot give or take a few feet

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
walleyeman107
Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 11:39 am

Fry

Member No.: 4050

This is mid day

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Sep 14, 2018 - 06:09 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

If you have your electronics dialed in, a great way to fish is video game style.
Itís a blast to jig for them and watch the action on your sonar. Those Powerbait minnows in the bubble packs are killer!

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Sep 15, 2018 - 07:50 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Im not sure what type of electronics you have, or if you have gps, but you need to learn to trust them. Picking apart the weeds with various plastics and bucktails is a solid patern, as is trolling harnesses in 15-20 as mentioned, but there is alot of water that goes untouched, for instance, sturgeons main lake is full of 23-27 ft of water mid lake, all it takes is a bit of searching and you,ll find a little pile of rocks mid lake to yourself, a bottom bouncer trolled slow with a harness or body bait works to kill time while your covering water looking for that small blip with your finger on the waypoint button ready to enter, mud will hold walleyes, but they love the transitions

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Sep 15, 2018 - 07:59 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

And I definitely agree with black crowe, Kawartha eyes love powerbait minnows

PMEmail Poster
icecy
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 01:30 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4685

I was having a hard time with wallies too. This year I started trolling with worm harnesses, over 15-20' of depth as others mentioned. I did two trips this fall and both produced fish. Some people say when you catch a walleye by trolling, stop and anchor and jig the same spot as other walleye tend to school-up around there. Have yet to try that, but currently I am trolling all day long to establish a map of productive spots, and some patterns seem to be emerging. It's a tough and boring job to troll all day but helps you build a knowledge of the waters you are fishing. And yes, your fishfinder is your best friend while trolling as you can determine what's down there and mark productive spots and revisit them later.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace