Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Be careful out there today!, Stay hydrated!!
Goshawk
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 - 10:42 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11890

It's hot and humid for the next couple of days (humidex expected to be above 40į. For those venturing out, please stay hydrated, especially while on the water. Lots of water and some type of electrolyte (gatorade, powerade or pedialyte). A cold beer isn't going to do it....actually it will probably make the situation worse.
If you stop sweating or feel a bit wobbly, that's just the start of much bigger problems. Get off the boat (out of the sun) and into an air conditioned vehicle and DRINK!!

No casualties this week folks!! Be safe!

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 - 11:59 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

Thank you , Lionel!
Itís very easy to forget about these things if the fish is biting but all great tips.

I would add one more thing : take a dive into the lake if you can or at least cool off your head .

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 - 03:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Good advice Lionel. Did you get out Sunday or Monday to your small mouth bass spot On Balsam or did the weather get in the way.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 - 07:03 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (crappeeeman @ Jul 19, 2022 - 04:33 pm)
Good advice Lionel. Did you get out Sunday or Monday to your small mouth bass spot On Balsam or did the weather get in the way.

I did. I was out there for about 3 hours, had maybe 3 hits but no takers. I think it was the high skies and high pressure that put them off. No one that I spoke with had caught anything either, bass/walleye/pike. Boat traffic was huge too, not my favorite, especially right outside of the channel. Lots of folks either don't know or don't care about courtesy, charging out of the channel on full plane within 10' of where you're obviously anchored and not moving.
Funny story for ya Jaime, my boat almost got away from me that morning. When I launch on my own, I use a vehicle tow rope with hooks on both ends, one on the bow eye and the other wrapped around the trailer cross-member. Back the boat in, let it float, then drive up and beach the bow. Well, this time the rope on the trailer let go and the boat floated away. Fortunately, I had turned on my Powerpoles and remotely deployed them to stop it from getting into the channel at Rosedale, which was pretty busy. I'm standing there on the ramp and two guys came by in a Tracker boat, grabbed the rope that was floating and dragged it over to me, where I could pull it up on the ramp. That's the first time in 4 years of doing this that the hook let go. Needless to say, time to go to Princess Auto for a new tow rope with good hooks. That's not going to happen again any time soon. I'll also carry a roll of electrical tape with me to prevent the spring on the hook from coming undone.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 - 09:11 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

That's a funny story Lionel, glad your boat did not get away. If it did chances are it would have stopped at that first dock by the marina. We saw two guys drop a boat off a trailer there. Did not come all the way off but there was some damage. Too bad about the fishing, you will get them next time.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Jul 20, 2022 - 02:04 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

QUOTE (Goshawk @ Jul 19, 2022 - 07:03 pm)

I did. I was out there for about 3 hours, had maybe 3 hits but no takers. I think it was the high skies and high pressure that put them off. No one that I spoke with had caught anything either, bass/walleye/pike. Boat traffic was huge too, not my favorite, especially right outside of the channel. Lots of folks either don't know or don't care about courtesy, charging out of the channel on full plane within 10' of where you're obviously anchored and not moving.
Funny story for ya Jaime, my boat almost got away from me that morning. When I launch on my own, I use a vehicle tow rope with hooks on both ends, one on the bow eye and the other wrapped around the trailer cross-member. Back the boat in, let it float, then drive up and beach the bow. Well, this time the rope on the trailer let go and the boat floated away. Fortunately, I had turned on my Powerpoles and remotely deployed them to stop it from getting into the channel at Rosedale, which was pretty busy. I'm standing there on the ramp and two guys came by in a Tracker boat, grabbed the rope that was floating and dragged it over to me, where I could pull it up on the ramp. That's the first time in 4 years of doing this that the hook let go. Needless to say, time to go to Princess Auto for a new tow rope with good hooks. That's not going to happen again any time soon. I'll also carry a roll of electrical tape with me to prevent the spring on the hook from coming undone.

Hey Lionel ,

Thatís quite a story about the runaway boat and it resonates with me as I often launch by myself and had a few mishaps as well .

What kind of hook are you using at the end of the rope?

I use a carabiner attached to synthetic 40 feet rope (see pic below )
I just hook up the carabiner to the bow of the boat and tie the end of the rope to the back door eye latch .
I just back the trailer into the water in the ramp , let the boat glide off the trailer , pull the car up a bit and then come out , untie the rope and pull the boat to shore .
In many years of using that system I had never had any issues .

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Jul 20, 2022 - 03:41 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Jerkbaiter @ Jul 20, 2022 - 03:04 pm)
QUOTE (Goshawk @ Jul 19, 2022 - 07:03 pm)

Hey Lionel ,

Thatís quite a story about the runaway boat and it resonates with me as I often launch by myself and had a few mishaps as well .

What kind of hook are you using at the end of the rope?

I use a carabiner attached to synthetic 40 feet rope (see pic below )
I just hook up the carabiner to the bow of the boat and tie the end of the rope to the back door eye latch .
I just back the trailer into the water in the ramp , let the boat glide off the trailer , pull the car up a bit and then come out , untie the rope and pull the boat to shore .
In many years of using that system I had never had any issues .

It has a similar carabiner as the one in your picture. The only problem, the spring keeping it closed has worn out I guess. When I got it back to the ramp, the closing clip was flapping in the breeze instead of being tight to the hook. When I first started using this method, I had bought a bungie system that I saw advertised on a fishing show. It worked well for 2 weeks, then the hook separated from the bungie (cheap material), but fortunately it was just after the tension on the front of the boat was reached and it floated back to the ramp on it's own. That one woouldn't have gone far because it was at the ramp at Nogies Creek on Pigeon. I could have waded out to retrieve the boat if it got away! The crazy thing is, I wrapped the rope around the cross-member of the trailer and hooked the rope into the carabiner. That's quite a feat for it to wiggle out of that!!
I'm going to Princess Auto to get another tow rope tomorrow because I'm going to need it pretty soon.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!