Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bigger bass not biting this year?, Or do I just suck?
nbender81
Posted: Aug 15, 2020 - 04:03 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 14362

I got nothin on the popmax the first 2 times out. Last 3 times, have hooked up. This helped me out I think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02qF-3B2ZI8

I do the walk the dog retrieve, bait zigs and zags and then pause for 5-10 seconds...repeat, repeat.

PMEmail Poster
rivermaster
Posted: Aug 15, 2020 - 04:37 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4686

QUOTE (nbender81 @ Aug 15, 2020 - 04:03 pm)
I got nothin on the popmax the first 2 times out. Last 3 times, have hooked up. This helped me out I think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02qF-3B2ZI8

I do the walk the dog retrieve, bait zigs and zags and then pause for 5-10 seconds...repeat, repeat.

It has a great walking action, I'm not really using the best gear for it though. I have itntied on a medium heavy, fast action shimano spincaster with 50lb braid lol. I checked all my rods and every single one is fast action but oh well it still walks pretty good.

PMEmail Poster
nbender81
Posted: Aug 15, 2020 - 05:14 pm

Parr Trout

I use it on a 6' 9" MH/Fast action baitcaster...lighter braid tho...likely around 10lb??

PMEmail Poster
jay_7680
Posted: Aug 15, 2020 - 07:50 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12060

Catching a muskie is always a great day on the water . Look for lots of rock and also bait fish. If we don't see alot of bait fish we move on . Try throwing tubes threw bait fish and drag it and hop it little don't over work it. Green pumpkin is always a good go to colour.

PMEmail Poster
nbender81
Posted: Aug 15, 2020 - 09:23 pm

Parr Trout

I like that...catching a muskie is always a great day on the water...

PMEmail Poster
nbender81
Posted: Aug 22, 2020 - 12:42 pm

Parr Trout

38"muskie badly damaged the ole' PopMax this morning ;(

...amazing how a muskie can so silently just come up, swallow the bait and barely make a splash. I just saw his tail..He splashed plenty for the next 5 minutes. He tore the rear treble right out of the split ring and mashed the nice hair trailer...

Managed to replace the treble, but not the hair...hope the doesn't make a huge difference, but I know that is part of the drawing the fish in...better go get another one!

PMEmail Poster
nbender81
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 - 07:43 pm

Parr Trout

This lad was fooled by the Popmax this morning. Again, thanks Attila for the input.

That said, Attila, been experimenting with the Spybaits - as you mentioned in that same post. They catch fish, that is for sure, but man they are small! And I am having a real issue with fish throwing the hook when they jump. Haven't lost anything big, but the hooks are so small I just can't seem to get a good hook set. Trying to really set it now when I get the hit.

I hate fluoro line, where I fish it is littered with zebra mussels, they nick the line once and I have to retie or lose a fish...lost a $20 spybait on a cast after I caught a fish near bottom...line/knot was nicked. Maybe my palomar knot is badly tied.

Used straight braid today seemed fine, but really think I should try a mono leader to disguise it a bit in the clear water I fish and it holds knots better. Anyone have any leader advice for spybaits?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 - 08:19 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 14818

I tried a spybait for the first time a couple weeks ago. Nice looking lure too (I believe an 80 size). First cast lost a bass who threw it almost right away. Next cast, swallowed by a 32 inch pike. Third cast, caught an 8 inch perch. Three fish on three casts is a record for me. I used 30 lb Sufix braid, with about a five foot Sunline 10 lb floro leader. No nicks in the leader, even with the pike. Used a 7'0" medium fast Okuma rod with n Okuma Inspire reel. I tied the two lines together with a modified albright knot. I have better luck with this knot than the double uni. It seems to hold better, at least for me.

PMEmail Poster
nbender81
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 - 09:28 pm

Parr Trout

Thanks for that input. And yeah, forget to mention, first cast with the spybait I did hook into a small bass too! I am using the 80 size as recommended by the guys at Ptbo Pro Tackle.

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Yesterday at 06:37 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

QUOTE (nbender81 @ Sep 26, 2020 - 07:43 pm)
This lad was fooled by the Popmax this morning. Again, thanks Attila for the input.

That said, Attila, been experimenting with the Spybaits - as you mentioned in that same post. They catch fish, that is for sure, but man they are small! And I am having a real issue with fish throwing the hook when they jump. Haven't lost anything big, but the hooks are so small I just can't seem to get a good hook set. Trying to really set it now when I get the hit.

I hate fluoro line, where I fish it is littered with zebra mussels, they nick the line once and I have to retie or lose a fish...lost a $20 spybait on a cast after I caught a fish near bottom...line/knot was nicked. Maybe my palomar knot is badly tied.

Used straight braid today seemed fine, but really think I should try a mono leader to disguise it a bit in the clear water I fish and it holds knots better. Anyone have any leader advice for spybaits?

With palomar knots and fluoro you need to be sure the line does not cross over each other in the overhand knot, and the line must be very wet before tightening. This gets more obvious the lighter pound test you use.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!