Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Anchor hut
kev_7680
Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 07:11 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16311

Do any of you use a hut anchor to keep the wind from blowing it around? Iíve seen ones that look like a big screw, didnít think it would work...thanks

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 07:43 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16585

I do not go out onto the ice without these.

Also i would have lost my hut without them at least once - and setting up on a windy day is impossible without them.

Even if it's a calm day wind can pick up out of nowhere.

Also, you can drill extra holes outside and put a 2x4 down there as your anchor under the ice and tie that line to your shanty - pretty easy anchor system - I've never used it, but it looks pretty sweet and easy to do.

In short, get anchors lol

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 08:31 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

Yes. With my one man flip, I carry one eskimo anchor and tie off to the back of the shack if its windy. With my hub, I have a long section of bungy cord attached to one side of the hub with a loop. I put an anchor in first when its windy out, before I ever open the hub. I've seen a few to many guys chasing their huts on windy days to want to join that club! Use an anchor!

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 08:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

I have a Clam flip hut and last year on K-Bay it was so windy it jackknifed the Clam and ATV......It wind was even getting under the tub and attempting to flip it.....bought some anchors for this year to keep the back end straight and on the ice...should make it a lot easier....yes will also head the ATV's nose towards the wind.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
rayray89
Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 09:16 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6253

I always have extra anchors on deck . Even if they call for 5kmh winds I will at the very least anchor 2 sides of my clam xl4000 . Cheap insurance lol

Just take a hammer out with ya couple wacks then hand tighten them , the "T" style ones from crappie tire are better material then the "oval handle" ones .

PMEmail Poster
ScoobyDube

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12416

@ jstubbs

Careful, youíll get called out by all the negative Nancyís out there for this one.
I suggested the same thing, and a couple guys got their tighty whities in a bunch. If you do get any flak, who cares. Everyone has an opinion, some are more useful that others lol
Iíve used the method, it works, clean up after yourself. Common sense that the few who chirped in to let it be known or whatever.

PMEmail Poster
kev_7680

Alevin

do You have to use the ones from the fishing stores or can you just use a stainless steal screw with washer? The ones I saw were $25 for 2

PMEmail Poster
DOM8TR
Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 09:56 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7680

Is always good to have a anchor, or two with you. The weather can always change out on the lakes at anytime, and blow your hit around. Also will save you chasing after it on the hard water.

PMEmail Poster
cantfishenough
Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 10:42 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 15549

Gotta use them, I have 4 on my hut and 4 for the guy wires. saw a real nice clam 6 man get destroyed 3 years ago by a sudden wind. I did get lazy and buy the drill driver for them. Really quick install. Did they not come with your hut?

PMEmail Poster
kev_7680
Posted: Jan 08, 2019 - 10:45 pm

Alevin

No inherited my dads old pop up hut...going to upgrade next year ...can I just use stainless steel screws

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 12:25 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

You probably could use a big eye bolt and just tap it into the ice with a hammer and then screw it in. Iím pretty sure it would work just fine.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 12:45 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

You'd have to be nuts to go out without anchors in a pop up. You can use anything that will hold it in place in a pinch, it's just a matter of convenience. Just make sure you have something to tie up to [U]before you open it up on a windy day. We've all seen them go flying across the lake - and posts from guys asking if anyone found a hut?

I've got a couple stashed in my flip over now after going for a ride in the damn thing last year.

If you're anywhere near Keswick, shoot greenbaypikehunter a PM - he may be able to help you out.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 02:55 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

No option... anchors are a must.

I had 2 blowouts last season on those 70kmh days. Broken tie downs, broken poles. That was with anchors all around.

Lol, yard sale with no anchors!
😁

PMEmail Poster
Choppa
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 05:21 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7591

Iíd imagine it would work providing they are big enough and drilled in at a angle.. I bring a cheap cordless out and drill pilot holes for my anchors.. Trust me makes setting up way easier.. I would also suggest banking snow or ice ( from your auger hole) on your edges of your skirt.. Donít go to nuts Iíve had them freeze to the ice pretty good.. I would suggest min 3 inch if your gonna try the screws.. Good luck.. Cheers

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 05:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

This is what I use (called 'Ice Angel'). Drill a hole with auger, pop it in and pull/fasten it tight. When done, push it down and take it out. It's that easy peasy:-)

(One thing I don't like those anchor screws that come with a pop-up hut is, on warmer and/or too windy days, the screw will become looser and looser on ice as my fishing day progresses, and eventually it will just unscrew itself/come out. This happened quite a few times with me before I switched to this Ice Angel. With this Ice Angel, there is literally no chance this could happen: The more you or the wind pull it up, the tighter it gets stuck/bite into the ice wall in the hole:-)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace