Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Anchor hut
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 08:46 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (caspersphilly @ Jan 10, 2019 - 07:01 am)
Just wondering where I can buy the ice angels?

Thanks

You can buy it (official name: "Digger Ice Angel") from amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/Digger-D-30-5368-0012...igger+ice+angel

Or you can also directly order (online) from its manufacturer in Minnesota, U.S.:

https://www.diggeranchor.com/

It's a bit expensive right now. I bought mine 2 years ago from Cabela's store in Barrie for $24.99 a pack of two (need two packs for a total of 4, of course) at the time. Though Cabela's might not have it in stock right now.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Whynot
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 08:48 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12921

QUOTE (kev_7680 @ Jan 08, 2019 - 09:16 pm)
do You have to use the ones from the fishing stores or can you just use a stainless steal screw with washer? The ones I saw were $25 for 2

In my experience the T shaped ice anchors seem to drill their own way and bite really well, no pilot holes required, not sure a regular screw would do the same. One of the thingss on my to do list is to weld up a large slot bit to drive the anchors in with a drill. They go pretty quick by hand, but every minute setting up is a minute not fishing, especially when you're moving around a lot to locate fish.

I use one anchor at the back of the hut to keep it from wanting to flip over (one anchor at the rear - from the seated perspective - tied off to a front tow ring and I have an eyelet at the back end of the sled for towing another hut or sled when there's guys with us who do not have machines). It's a clam flip over so there is a gap between the pole and the fabric in each front corner so I drive an anchor into those spaces as well which serves to keep from flapping as much and keeps it snug to the surface to minimize wind coming in underneath.

Ratchet straps seem to work best, easier/faster than trying to tie rope in the cold and bungee has to much give.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 08:55 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

i got some of these GRK screws. Note the slot cut in he threads. I'm pretty sure that if i use my trusty little drill to put hem in on an angle like I do for tent pegs in the summer. the will be fast and effective. I put a little loop of strapping under the head to feed the rope thru.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Whynot
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 10:39 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12921

So much for making a drill attachment, CTC sells one better than I planned to make - this will be a nice time saver.

Woods Ice Anchor Bit Adapter

@knuguy - those screws are awesome, huge time saver for working with large dimension lumber, self drilling and they hold well.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 10:57 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

For those using a big smitty sled with lots of weight, I put my entire smitty inside my pop up hut and pull a skirt inside... drop the ski lengthwise across the skirt and it adds a ton of extra security. I still add spikes if itís really windy, but works well to keep the windy side corners down.

There were days last year that even with spikes it would have been hairy, but with my smitty and all my gear weighing down the skirt, nothing was gonna move. I also like to bring 3 extra fence boards... I lay them down on the skirts (pulled in rather than out). The nice part about doing this is you only have to weigh down the centre of the board with snow to keep the skirt secure on light wind days. On crazy wind days I pile snow over the entire board, and when itís time to move or pack up, I just grab one end of the board and lift. Having the board keeps from having to fight the frozen snow on the skirt... when you lift it, all the snow comes off or breaks up. Way easier.

End of the day, I like doing all I can from INSIDE the hut, and this helps me enormously.

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 12:06 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16585

Neat trick with the boards - Im wondering if 2 on each skirt would be good - one under and one over - not much for extra weight if im pulling it behind my snowmobile lol

I might have to adopt this technique lol

PMEmail Poster
smp
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 12:13 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10460

Anchors are a must on a windy day if you have a popup. I was out once by myself and a wind gust caught my popup before I was able to anchor the corners into the ice. If it wasn't for me hanging on for dear life, my popup would have blown like a leaf in a storm and took off across the lake!

Sail has the drill attachment on sale right now. Takes less than 10 seconds to get the anchors in. Really helps with the ice is solid.

https://www.sail.ca/en/eskimo-ice-anchor-dr...-adapter-709432

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 12:15 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

QUOTE (Jstubbs @ Jan 11, 2019 - 12:06 pm)
Neat trick with the boards - Im wondering if 2 on each skirt would be good - one under and one over - not much for extra weight if im pulling it behind my snowmobile lol

I might have to adopt this technique lol

I love having fence boards! I also use them to step on to keep my feet off the ice, but beware... those boards and glare ice are dangerous! Lol

I use them for lures, food, fillet board, heater platform... ya, now that I think of it... I love those fence boards!

If using a machine and weight is not a factor, I find old bed frame rails work great as well... I also use the bed rail as a spud in a jam. Hahahha

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace