Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Couch or cooks?
Relax its wifi
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 10:32 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15373

Me and my buddy are coming up from kitchener Saturday and were not sure if we should just go to cooks bay or spend the extra time traveling to go up to couchiching to find safe ice I know there are permanent huts on couchiching but not sure about cooks is it worth it?

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 11:05 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Relax its wifi @ Jan 09, 2019 - 10:32 pm)
Me and my buddy are coming up from kitchener Saturday and were not sure if we should just go to cooks bay or spend the extra time traveling to go up to couchiching to find safe ice I know there are permanent huts on couchiching but not sure about cooks is it worth it?

If it were me, I'd stop at Gilford, Cook's Bay first, and if ice is good (if I see others on ice), sure. Else head further north to Couch...

PMEmail PosterYahoo
mumbo jumbo
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 03:31 am

Fry

Member No.: 14975

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 12:17 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 16585

I was debating doing that myself - however puslinch in Cambridge is shallow and people were out last weekend - with this freeze it should build another inch or 2 - so we are planning a mini perch derby out there this weekend lol

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 12:18 pm

Smolt Trout

Also if you're from kitchener do you fish the grand river bass derby? I grew up there and usually fish that every year lol

PMEmail Poster
ilyukha
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 04:32 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12665

QUOTE (Jstubbs @ Jan 10, 2019 - 12:17 pm)

I was debating doing that myself - however puslinch in Cambridge is shallow and people were out last weekend - with this freeze it should build another inch or 2 - so we are planning a mini perch derby out there this weekend lol

What's the rules of the mini perch Derby? Whoever gets the smallest perch wins? lol

On the original subject: a few people I know fished Cooks from Gilford side and there was 2-3" of ice and the fishing was slow. I personally would give it another week for the ice to grow before going there.

PMEmail Poster
Relax its wifi
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 10:49 pm

Egg

Member No.: 15373

Thanks guys for the advice I really appreciate it I have not done a derby but starting to get into fly fishing on the grand river
Back to my original question where is the best place to get on the ice in couchiching never been to that side of the lake any points on the map I should aim for we want to park the truck and walk on the ice and drop lines

Thanks tight lines!

PMEmail Poster
FishFinder17
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 11:16 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12839

Tudhope park or cumberland beach (bayou road). Both involve a decent amount of walking to get to deeper water. Good luck.

I think I'm gonna go with St John on Sunday.

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 11:55 am

Smolt Trout

Maybe we will have a reward for smallest and biggest perch

Never thought of that lol

We are thinking a $5 winner take all even for biggest perch and biggest over all fish gets their money back lol

PMEmail Poster
ilyukha
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 12:12 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12665

QUOTE (Jstubbs @ Jan 11, 2019 - 11:55 am)
Maybe we will have a reward for smallest and biggest perch

Never thought of that lol

We are thinking a $5 winner take all even for biggest perch and biggest over all fish gets their money back lol

LMAO $5 It's like a friendly poker game.

It's minus 13C today, so the ice is being made as we chat here!

PMEmail Poster
bohocz
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 12:58 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 11124

how is fishing in puslinch? haven't been there since the big winter kill few years back. used to be fun and always good to take the kids out for ice fishing. also, convenient, only 10 min drive for me.

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 01:17 pm

Smolt Trout

To be honest BOHO it's still hit or miss and not like what it used to be.

It has been on the rise though in the last few years - last year was decent but I only got out there one time - decent pike, a catfish, and a handful of decent perch and some dinks - I heard last weekend a walleye was caught which is a great sign - the walleye population was almost wiped out from that deep freeze you mentioned

I will be able to tell you a lot more about how good it is, next week lol

Also yea $5 a piece for the derby nobody will even miss that, but with like 8 - 10 guys involved, winner gets his beer money for the night! lol

I'd say it's worth a shot after this cold snap to get back out there again and give it a shot - my buddy apparently found a nice crappie hole - so we will be heading there tomorrow!

Tight lines!

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 01:17 pm

Smolt Trout

PS BOHO you ever fish shades mills???

PMEmail Poster
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 02:30 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12632

QUOTE (Jstubbs @ Jan 11, 2019 - 02:17 pm)
PS BOHO you ever fish shades mills???

Hey Jstubbs, sounds like you been fishing in my neck of the woods.

Let me just say one thing;

I am going to Cooks bay tomorrow. I would recommend you reconsider going to puslinch lake and go to cooks instead. LOL. Lake Simcoe is worth the drive.

GRW

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 02:53 pm

Smolt Trout

Yeah, I would agree except I live in Chatham

I am from KW originally that's why I am fishing puslinch this weekend - coming back to see the old guard, and house warming event for a long time brother of mine.

Simcoe is minimum 4 hours from my house, onthe closest point - cook's bay.

I already have a cottage booked up there for Mar 1st weekend - bringing my snowmobile and ice sled up.

I will likely book another trip to simcoe in early February as well - might even book the same cottage then too.

Thanks for the invite though.

Let me know how you do - and I will do the same!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace