Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Food on the Ice
DuckFever
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 05:59 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5321

Throughout my ice fishing career, one thing i couldn't figure out is how to keep myself fed....I always end up starving and coming home with a headache and HANGRY...

I've tried using the buddy heater to heat up meals, bringing dry foods, bringing a camp stove to heat up soup cans...everything is too much of a hassle and takes too much time.

I've recently had the idea of acquiring some military MREs. Just wondering if anyone does this? I've tried acquiring them online but they're around 15$ each which is kinda pricey but for a hot meal on the ice and having to only bring water seems worth it.

How does everyone else keep from starving on the ice?

I'm in the GTA, does anyone know where to acquire some MREs so i save some shipping costs?

Cheers!

PM
Knuguy
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 06:06 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

sandwiches(or the makings), boiled eggs, nut mixture, fruit, soup in a thermos, energy bar etc

PMEmail Poster
browns
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 06:10 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8626

I cook on the buddy all the time ... the easiest is heating up some burritos or pizza pockets or bistros in the am in the microwave and wrapping them in foil ...takes about 5 mins to heat up in the hut later on the buddy.

PMEmail Poster
Rawly
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 06:10 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16652

We brought some homemade chili out with us and throw it on a small 1 burner with a pot well before knowing we will be hungry

PMEmail Poster
riplipsdrinkbusch
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 06:13 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12688

I usually pick up a sandwich from Tim Hortons when I go out on the ice I put it in the side of my boot that actually keeps it warm until I eat it. It gets a little squished but at least itís warm. Or I will hang my ice scoop from the roof of my hut over my heater and put the sandwich on the scoop to heat it up.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 06:27 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Make something like chef boyardee ravioli at home then put it in a thermos...
Nothing like hot food on the ice...

PMEmail Poster
DuckFever
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 06:51 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 5321

Oooh I like the thermos idea! Iíve tried heating up on the buddy before and it melted the top vents where the fan blows air out of...so Iíve been hesitant to do it again.

PM
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 06:58 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 16585

Yeah even zoodles or something in the thermos - or chili!!! but careful of the chili farts

Sometimes I do the timmies technique but I don't put it in my boot, my boots smell like POOP - I just put it in my coat pocket

Usually I bring a thermos with something warm (soup, chili, even oatmeal), some pepperettes are KEY for snacks or beef jerky, a sandwich or 2 - a little bag of salted/roasted cashews can be a nice treat as well.

1 thing that I bring almost everywhere when I fish though for a pinch....potato salad my friend - it's cold, but it's good for filling you up and giving you some carbs for energy. Even one of those smaller containers of it, shovel that back at lunch and it will make a big difference. Especially if you have like 6 people out there - a tub of potato salad is nice to have - no prep needed just get a spoon!

I will say, I love the pizza pocket idea - I am going to try that once or twice this season for sure!!

PMEmail Poster
kevb81
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:02 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4937

Another vote for thermos either soup or chilli. Another thermos of coffee too

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:06 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12369

I do beans, chilly, soup and hot sandwiches on the buddy. Never had an issue and it takes no time at all.

PMEmail Poster
Fenwickian
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:14 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15919

A food cart would make a killing on the ice during the weekend.

Especially now with the dope being legalized.

PMEmail Poster
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:30 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 16585

Fenwickian I think you just struck gold with that idea - I mean how hard would it be?

Build a sturdy ice sled with a bit of cover you can open up to block the wind - or bring a shanty and put your little grill setup on the ice sled inside the shanty and just keep your door open....wafting that grill smell out onto the frigid lake.

My god - would be a site to see all the fisherman lining up to eat on busy days - could make some good coin.

Best part......you can punch a hole or 2 and fish for perch - filet them up and offer fresh fish tacos or something.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

PMEmail Poster
DOM8TR
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:39 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7680

Iím also a thermos chili, or soap fisherman. I also bring energy power bar thatís good to attack your hunger, and boost your energy while on the ice, which is also light on your stomach.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:43 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

Game fish including perch caught can't be sold nor traded for monetary value. So if you caught perch, fillet them, and offer fresh perch tacos to others, you'd have to offer it for free, I guess:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
backwoodsmanbob
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:43 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 98

There was someone who did that for years. Retired now. BTW the best thing in MRE's are the coffee packs, gum and matches. Had a case of them years ago.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace