Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Food on the Ice
Fisherman
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:49 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

The old MRE's from about 15 years ago were alright, the newer ones have some wierd stuff in there to "accomodate" everyones background.

PM
Jstubbs
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:53 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16585

Ahh I see.

Always some government BS to get in the way of a good time.

BUT HEY - why not?!?

Give away a free perch filet or 2 with a burger meal purchased!!

Or give them out as appetizers to induce people to buy some other food

Might be a good idea - if I lived up there, this is something I'd considering doing a few times at least!

PMEmail Poster
Fenwickian
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:55 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15919

QUOTE (Jstubbs @ Jan 11, 2019 - 07:30 pm)
Fenwickian I think you just struck gold with that idea - I mean how hard would it be?

Build a sturdy ice sled with a bit of cover you can open up to block the wind - or bring a shanty and put your little grill setup on the ice sled inside the shanty and just keep your door open....wafting that grill smell out onto the frigid lake.

My god - would be a site to see all the fisherman lining up to eat on busy days - could make some good coin.

Best part......you can punch a hole or 2 and fish for perch - filet them up and offer fresh fish tacos or something.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

MMMM. yes

With all the stoner's I could charge and arm and a leg for a damn chocolate bar.

A burger or a hot dog/sausage might even get me a new rod and reel.

PMEmail Poster
Fenwickian
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 07:58 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15919

QUOTE (Jstubbs @ Jan 11, 2019 - 07:53 pm)
Ahh I see.

Always some government BS to get in the way of a good time.

BUT HEY - why not?!?

Give away a free perch filet or 2 with a burger meal purchased!!

Or give them out as appetizers to induce people to buy some other food

Might be a good idea - if I lived up there, this is something I'd considering doing a few times at least!

And yet we live in an apparent democracy. where the people have the power, not the Government. Maybe one day the masses will remember this

PMEmail Poster
budmo
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 08:24 pm

Fry

Member No.: 14260

I try to keep it light and simple, thermos of hot sweet tea and some granola bars.

PMEmail Poster
GilsFinsTail
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 08:26 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12907

One thermos full of coffee, another thermos with soup, a breakfast wrap or two from McD's or Timmy's, a bag of Jerky, a can of energy drink and a couple of bottles of water...and if I'm still hungry, I'll chew on a minnow or two 🤪

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 08:55 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (GilsFinsTail @ Jan 11, 2019 - 08:26 pm)
...and if I'm still hungry, I'll chew on a minnow or two 🤪

Another post earlier today just made day. Now, again! haha

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 09:24 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9952

QUOTE (DuckFever @ Jan 11, 2019 - 05:59 pm)
Throughout my ice fishing career, one thing i couldn't figure out is how to keep myself fed....I always end up starving and coming home with a headache and HANGRY...

I've tried using the buddy heater to heat up meals, bringing dry foods, bringing a camp stove to heat up soup cans...everything is too much of a hassle and takes too much time.

I've recently had the idea of acquiring some military MREs. Just wondering if anyone does this? I've tried acquiring them online but they're around 15$ each which is kinda pricey but for a hot meal on the ice and having to only bring water seems worth it.

How does everyone else keep from starving on the ice?

I'm in the GTA, does anyone know where to acquire some MREs so i save some shipping costs?

Cheers!

What do you normally take for lunch at work, or do you buy a lunch every day.
One of the parts of being in construction where I live is thereís not very often a store or restaurant around, so the lunchkit gets packed every day. Not to mention, I couldnít imagine the extra expense of having to buy a lunch every day. So for me itís simple, going fishing is the same as work, just pack another lunch. Only difference is instead of sitting on a pail or stack of cement bags for lunch, Iím in the hut or seat of a boat for lunch.

PMEmail Poster
DuckFever
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 10:12 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 5321

Lot's of great ideas! I'm definitely gonna give a couple of them a try. I need to buy a big ole thermos!

Cheers!

PM
Dudedru
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 12:00 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15026

I bring a coleman single bottle burner, boil some water and throw in some Ramen noodles, or if some buddies are with me, out comes the Weber Baby-Q and on goes the deer sausage and burgers...giddy up

PMEmail Poster
salestim
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 12:35 am

Egg

Member No.: 5781

My buddy made a rack that extends on the front of our heater buddy. Grills great sandwiches when fishing slows down. We put a piece of tin foil on top if we are grilling something greasy. No reason to bring another stove.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
basstard
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 04:31 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8583

Wrap a sandwich or burrito or something in tin foil, just put it right on top make sure its not touching the handle. My grilled sandwich hits the spot when I'm hungry and the fish aren't biting! Plus I find whenever you are eating a fish will usually come by!!They must smell the bacon on it and want a bite!

PMEmail Poster
Eforbes_ca
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 05:33 am

Alevin

Member No.: 14430

I have a small one burner naptha stove. Nothing beats fresh caught fish on the ice.

PMEmail Poster
Hunt&Fish
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 07:30 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 6487

Fast and simple for hunting and fishing......Can of sardines and small plastic bag to take the smelly can home.

PMEmail Poster
Whynot
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 08:39 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12921

Last season our go to was something hot and hearty in individual serving size thermos': Chili, curry pea soup, leek and potato, chowder... the trick is to preheat the thermos with boiling hot water for 10mins before adding the hot food, will keep warm much longer.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace