Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Finally some whitefish action, Simcoe - Jan 11
randaller
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 06:13 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 2009

It took a while to find safe ice that was over deep enough water but I was happy I kept searching. They both fell for a Vibrato in 60 feet of water. Video coming tomorrow...too tired tonight. It felt so good to set the hook on some deep water fish!

Attached Image

Good luck out there everyone, this weekend is going to be busy. I took my time in the spots I tried to make sure the ice was safe. I ended up backing off of two area because of questionable ice. There was still several open water patches in the inner bay close to Barrie so watch out because they will be frozen over and thin.

Randaller

PMEmail Poster
fish hawk
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 07:25 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 374

Be careful out there on Whitefish area , Iím not sure how is the ice , but Iím sure it will get better next week as we are getting a deep freeze , Arctic cold.

Vibrato is a killing lure , excellent if you are using it with the right Technics .
I catch Whites all the time after the opener in May in deep water.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 07:40 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

Nice report.

I was out as well yesterday.

Some sketchy spots for sure !

Keep your Atv and sleds parked for this weekend

PMEmail Poster
fish hawk
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 07:46 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 374

If you are out there this weekend , can you tell us the thickness of the ice?

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 08:00 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9278

No offence to any of you so donít take this the wrong way but you guys are nuttys!!!! I went to go check out a couple spots yesturday and I would not go out on that . I seen some tents and I couldnít bealive they were out there...I was punching through at shore in one shot...Iím sure you guys must really know what your doing anyone that does not should not, I know what iam doing I still will not go out on that, patches of open water no way!!!! Or mayb none of you has ever fell through??? I have, maybe thatís why Iím more cautious or maybe you have and really know how to take you steps...I can see spots where I would not walk on you would go right through!!

You guys have some serious ice walking courage lol

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 09:37 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15869

Great photo and report. Those whities sure look good on the sunny side of the ice.Congrats .

PMEmail Poster
nineinches
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 09:41 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 473

Absolutely crazy seeing that some of the perch areas aren't safe yet. Anyways I would rather eat perch over greasy whitefish or lakers anyday, sorry just my opinion. Be safe out there guys and don't be stupid.

PMEmail Poster
RAM3500
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 09:56 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11509

What area safe ice was that. Still waiting for better ice reports.
Awesome job buddy

PMEmail Poster
DOM8TR
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 10:11 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7680

Nice catch Randaller . This is just my opinion regarding the thickness of ice out there. No ice, is ever safe ice. Always use your judgement, and be aware of where youíre going out there. Iím personality going to wait another week with the cold weather to build more ice, which it should build up more this week,and hopefully lock the ice together on the lake. Being safe out good thickness of ice,you get to see another day of fishing.

PMEmail Poster
FSHN FRK
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 10:22 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 952

Great fish randaller!
I know you take all the precautions when your out there, and onthe way out n back.

And, Dan?? WTH man? I was waiting on your call.
Next time I won't wait I'll call you. Lol
Cheers!

PMEmail Poster
king killer
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 12:27 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3332

Nice job on the whites. Opinions will always vary on what's safe ice and whats not. No need to call anyone crazy or nutty because you personally don't like the conditions. Bring a spud always this early in the season.

PMEmail Poster
randaller
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 12:34 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2009

No offence taken to the people thinking I'm nuts. Everyone has a different definition of what constitutes safe ice. I checked 3 spots all together yesterday before I found what I define as safe ice. This time of year it is a calculated risk that can be lessened by taking your time and spudding every step, I mean every step, never fishing alone and keeping ice picks on you at all times.

All that being said, I was on over 4" of ice and felt very comfortable.

Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend, I will be back out on Monday after the crowds leave.

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 01:12 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Great job nice catch

PMEmail Poster
Andy14
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 01:50 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7784

Great job bud!!!

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 01:52 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9278

QUOTE (king killer @ Jan 12, 2019 - 12:27 pm)
Nice job on the whites. Opinions will always vary on what's safe ice and whats not. No need to call anyone crazy or nutty because you personally don't like the conditions. Bring a spud always this early in the season.

I started my post off saying not to take any offence or take it the wrong way that iam calling them nuttys. I wasnít calling them crazy or nuts in any mean or rude way....you donít need to be anyoneís shield, guys/girls on here can talk from themselves.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace