Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Flasher or Sonar through the ice?

Flasher or Sonar?
Flasher [ 59 ]  [33.91%]
Sonar [ 115 ]  [66.09%]
Total Votes: 174
Guests cannot vote 
GrandRiverWill
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 07:21 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12632

I use my sonar. I'd love to try a flasher, but they are expensive and it would be new to me so I don't see how I could take advantage with a flasher opposed to sonar.

PMEmail Poster
bobowski
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 08:23 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 6766

QUOTE (OutdoorDave @ Nov 21, 2018 - 07:00 am)
I've always used a flasher when using electronics myself, but I'm starting to lean towards sonar for more accuracy. From what I understand flashers have quick response time, but the cone sets bottom on the first thing it senses. So if you are sitting on top of a ledge or big rock or any other variance in depth, you may not be sensing the action right off the bottom, where as a sonar will show you the whole structure of the bottom.

This is not true. A sonar will also pick up the shallowest point if you are over structure.

I prefer flasher for shallow water fishing for perch but will only use my graph for fishing Lakers and Whities

PMEmail Poster
goosej13
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 08:56 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 7671

I picked up a garmin striker 4 a few years ago and love it. Has both a flasher and a graph. The portable case it comes with also makes things easy when transporting it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-01550-10-S...armin+striker+4

PMEmail Poster
OutdoorDave
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 09:02 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10989

QUOTE (bobowski @ Nov 21, 2018 - 08:23 am)
QUOTE (OutdoorDave @ Nov 21, 2018 - 07:00 am)
I've always used a flasher when using electronics myself, but I'm starting to lean towards sonar for more accuracy. From what I understand flashers have quick response time, but the cone sets bottom on the first thing it senses. So if you are sitting on top of a ledge or big rock or any other variance in depth, you may not be sensing the action right off the bottom, where as a sonar will show you the whole structure of the bottom.

This is not true. A sonar will also pick up the shallowest point if you are over structure.

I prefer flasher for shallow water fishing for perch but will only use my graph for fishing Lakers and Whities

ok cool thanks for clearing that up. I was told that by a Bass Pro associate a while ago. I like the idea of the panoptix but have heard it's not worth the price tag. Uncut Angling has a good demo video of it

PMEmail Poster
Heavytruckerbud
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 12:41 pm

Fry

Member No.: 16206

I feel a bit sorry for the Old Farts still using flashers. No offence.

sonars:

Pros: so simple to read, see the full history of how the fish behave.

cons: "less responsive" - not really an issue, modern sonars are insanely accurate, cost.

Flashers: the typewriters of hardwater...

Pros: very responsive, cheaper.

cons: generally more difficult to read

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 04:17 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11376

i have both and like many i prefer my helix sonar for deep water fish due to history and flasher for shallow perch or walleye, both work but sonar screen can get a bit busy to look at when you have schools of fish or weeds ect and the flasher is a bit easier to read in this scenario probably because i used a flasher for so many years; this preference is subjective.

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 05:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

For years I preferred none at all,just my slipfloat. However in the last few years I have used both and wouldn't fish without one.My preference is now the graph style sonar!

PMEmail Poster
ilyukha
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 06:00 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12665

Sonar here as well, although sometimes I do enjoy using a flasher round circle mode for panfish.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted on Nov 21, 2018 - 09:03 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

I have used a flasher for the past couple of years and believe it has increased my catch rate, never used a sonar so I can't say which I prefer. Good comments on both, wouldn't help me make up my mind reading this post if I was looking to buy for the first time.

PMEmail Poster
Smilee
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 08:41 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11276

I've had my FL8 for years now..... Won't leave home without it!! Great for panfish . Can see the advantages of using a sonar unit for deep water fishing though. Let the lakes freeze!!!!!!!🙂🙂

PMEmail Poster
4d277
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 09:33 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7427

Both are useless if u look at your phone all day

PMEmail Poster
Nado
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 10:41 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8095

I had the Ice 55 for a season before selling it and moving on to sonars. The only benefit I found with a true flasher over a sonar was fishing for panfish in shallow water. Anything other application the flasher doesn't come close to the sonar.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 11:33 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Last time I used a flasher was in late 60,s fishing commercial salmon troller out in BC.

Imagine they may have a comeback now that herbs ae legal

for me its sonar all the way, especially for the units that can be used both winter and summer

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
miro
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 12:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3947

QUOTE (Lanternman75 @ Nov 21, 2018 - 06:17 pm)
i have both and like many i prefer my helix sonar for deep water fish due to history and flasher for shallow perch or walleye, both work but sonar screen can get a bit busy to look at when you have schools of fish or weeds ect and the flasher is a bit easier to read in this scenario probably because i used a flasher for so many years; this preference is subjective.

I also have both sonar and flasher. When fishing deep water for lakers and white fish I use the sonar. I find it much easier to detect fish that are belly on bottom and being able to view history is a huge advantage. But when fishing shallower water 40fow or less especially for fish that are suspending I much prefer the flasher. Hard to beat that crisp strong signal you get from the flasher when dialed in properly.

PMEmail Poster
ClamFishing123
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 12:38 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12519

Not saying that all "Pro Staff" are the be all know all as some of them are trash but watching the ones who know their stuff, a lot of their footage/shows that are producing quality fish are using flashers on Hard Water.

I've used a Flasher for a few years now and would definitely say that it's very accurate and has helped produce fish.

On the other hand, I have friends that use sonar and swear by it - I would ultimately say it would come down to personal preference/experience with what you've used or seen been used.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace