Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Flasher or Sonar through the ice?

Flasher or Sonar?
Flasher [ 59 ]  [33.91%]
Sonar [ 115 ]  [66.09%]
Total Votes: 174
Guests cannot vote 
KennyT759
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 02:11 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 15436

I like the sonar, as I still find reading the graph a challenge.

PMEmail Poster
KennyT759
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 02:15 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15436

Actually, I am buying a Helix 7 Ice so I just realized I will have both and can use it on my boat too. They say there is no delay on the flasher on these but I am not sure what to believe. I think we can have all of the gadgetry we want but being in the right spot is the real key.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted on Nov 22, 2018 - 09:55 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

But a FF will help you find the 'right spot'

PMEmail Poster
Bobinette
Posted on Nov 23, 2018 - 06:43 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10778

I use a Vexilar and really like the pinpoint accuracy, but...BUT...they have no history. You blink and you miss it, hence me staring at it all day. Sonars let you look around a bit and not miss anything. Besides, the new sonars can still be switched to flasher mode. Only reason for hanging onto the old Vexilar is the unwillingness to spend money on a new sonar when what I have still works perfectly. In the end it's what you prefer. One thing I can attest to though as far as accuracy goes is that my Vexilar really does show 2 jigs 8" apart in 110 FOW! Hard to give that up

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted on Nov 23, 2018 - 08:23 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Bobinette @ Nov 23, 2018 - 07:43 am)
I use a Vexilar and really like the pinpoint accuracy, but...BUT...they have no history. You blink and you miss it, hence me staring at it all day. Sonars let you look around a bit and not miss anything.

Yup!!! That's it for me!

PMEmail Poster
fish hawk
Posted on Nov 23, 2018 - 07:47 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 374

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Nov 23, 2018 - 08:23 am)
QUOTE (Bobinette @ Nov 23, 2018 - 07:43 am)
I use a Vexilar and really like the pinpoint accuracy, but...BUT...they have no history. You blink and you miss it, hence me staring at it all day. Sonars let you look around a bit and not miss anything.

Yup!!! That's it for me!

X2

I used to find the spot with my Vexilar.

Driving around on my snowmobile. Stop, drill a 4" hole quietly with hand auger, drop the transducer in and set the cone 3 different angles and look around if there was any activity.
Nothing for a few minutes, move on to next spot. Drill again . When I see fish, I set up and drill my 8" hole and ready .

My catch rate increased this way.

PMEmail Poster
Mjewell
Posted on Nov 24, 2018 - 01:45 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10777

Grew up using sonars an have never wanted a flasher gives me a headache. Running a lowerance elite 4 ice machine right now but hoping to upgrade to the hook2 series before first ice.

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted on Nov 26, 2018 - 12:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

Unsure if perhaps some are using older sonars with delay, but my Helix 9 is as real time as Iíve ever seen, and equivalent to any flasher Iíve used.

Because itís a 9 I canít use the flasher setting (only available on the 5 and 7)... but itís a real pleasure to fish with in 2D, less pleasing to lug around but worth it in the end. Lol

Chart speed maxed out and jigging mode on, the response rate is crazy fast.

Just wanted to mention it in case someone is debating flasher or sonar and is worried about the response speedon modern day sonars.

PMEmail Poster
Blake85
Posted on Nov 26, 2018 - 12:44 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12915

I used to have a Vexilar FL8se, good unit, no major complaints.

Upgraded to Helix 7 G2N GPS DI Chirp Nav+ and its insanely better. I can mark a deadstick and live stick in nearly 100ft of water. Very very responsive, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, the split screen (2D sonar and flasher) is my ideal set up for whatever I'm fishing for.

Can be a little pricey but if you used it year round the wife shouldnt care eh? lol

I keep it on the front of my quad, stop, drill, check, fish, rinse and repeat.

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted on Nov 28, 2018 - 09:29 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14818

I purchased a Humminbird Helix 7 ice kit this summer, and installed the head and a soft water transducer on my new boat. Can't wait to try it for ice fishing. I am going to try the dual mode flasher and sonar to start to see which one I prefer, or I may just leave them both on. While it was a pricey unit, the dual season makes it a good enough buy. I needed a ff for my boat with GPS, so this served my needs at the time. I also have a helix 5 head, so I may end up with another ice kit (battery, transducer, and case) for my son but using that head.

PMEmail Poster
tjames
Posted on Nov 28, 2018 - 09:49 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 12662

QUOTE (colanut @ Nov 28, 2018 - 10:29 pm)
I purchased a Humminbird Helix 7 ice kit this summer, and installed the head and a soft water transducer on my new boat. Can't wait to try it for ice fishing. I am going to try the dual mode flasher and sonar to start to see which one I prefer, or I may just leave them both on. While it was a pricey unit, the dual season makes it a good enough buy. I needed a ff for my boat with GPS, so this served my needs at the time. I also have a helix 5 head, so I may end up with another ice kit (battery, transducer, and case) for my son but using that head.

I bought the Helix 5 G2 GPS model thanks to this thread lol.

Haven't had it out, but testing inside it looks great, dual mode sonar and flasher.

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted on Nov 30, 2018 - 03:15 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

I have used both flashers and graphs for quite a few years. I have a Marcum LX5 that has become my go to machine. There are many reasons for this, most of which have previously been outlined. There are two other reasons not presented:
#1 - the flasher is extremely rugged and compact with the battery being an integral component so it consumes minmal space in the rear rack box on my ATV.
#2 - I enjoy the fact that my flasher overwhelms the readouts on graphs that are in too close proximity. I'm not anti-social but it is nice to have enough space that line tangles are of no concern.

PMEmail Poster
4d277
Posted on Dec 01, 2018 - 09:39 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7427

I concur but not in that order

PMEmail Poster
nocod
Posted on Dec 01, 2018 - 12:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 401

QUOTE (4d277 @ Nov 22, 2018 - 09:33 am)
Both are useless if u look at your phone all day

Comment of the thread imo

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted on Dec 01, 2018 - 01:28 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Grandpa Jim @ Nov 30, 2018 - 03:15 pm)
I have used both flashers and graphs for quite a few years. I have a Marcum LX5 that has become my go to machine. There are many reasons for this, most of which have previously been outlined. There are two other reasons not presented:
#1 - the flasher is extremely rugged and compact with the battery being an integral component so it consumes minmal space in the rear rack box on my ATV.
#2 - I enjoy the fact that my flasher overwhelms the readouts on graphs that are in too close proximity. I'm not anti-social but it is nice to have enough space that line tangles are of no concern.

That you do my friend as I remember the last time I ran into you out there and had to move right onto a honey hole

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace