Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pressure crack, How to identify
Pidge
Posted: Feb 10, 2019 - 05:26 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 5459

Was just thinking to myself after viewing yet another truck thatís gone in, how do you identify a pressure crack? To me what comes to mind in a ďtriangleĒ formation from the ice growing and having no where to go hence the ice is forced in an upward position on both sides of a crack. That being said, that is a pretty obvious sign. What Iím unsure is when I see posts of ďanother vechile lost due to pressure crackĒ it appears that itís fairly level. Are there two types of these pressure cracks? Or is it something so obvious Iím over thinking it?
-Pidge

PMEmail Poster
Brian_B
Posted: Feb 10, 2019 - 06:04 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4889

It is not always an upward motion, so its not always obvious.

PMEmail Poster
BootiusMaximus
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 02:46 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14934

QUOTE (Brian_B @ Feb 10, 2019 - 06:04 pm)

Yes, sometimes they can form downwards(think valley instead of mountain) and the resulting space gets filled with water. Once that water freezes, ice thickness will not be the same as the surrounding area around the crack and can be very deceptive regarding thickness.

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 02:56 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11376

look for partially sunk pickup trucks and you found the pressure cracks.

PMEmail Poster
simcoesod
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 04:12 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16486

one time years ago i was on my three wheeler driving along side a crack to find a place to cross....turns out the crack pushed down 5 feet and then the area around re froze....well i went down.....only 5 feet,but i was scared shitless till my feet touched,,,lmao...the guy i was with literally crap his undies...it was him i swear!lol

PMEmail Poster
Ryan46201
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 09:06 pm

Fry

Member No.: 15878

Just drive till you do this, or not, torpedoed the skis under the far side of the ice. When we tried to pull it out backwards the track wanted to go under the ice too. The guys at bear point hut rentals got it out with no damage and I drove it away. They came with enough to get a truck out but stopped and took the time to not break anything on the sled. Cant say enough for those guys.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Pidge
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 09:59 am

Fry

QUOTE (BootiusMaximus @ Feb 11, 2019 - 02:46 pm)
QUOTE (Brian_B @ Feb 10, 2019 - 06:04 pm)

Yes, sometimes they can form downwards(think valley instead of mountain) and the resulting space gets filled with water. Once that water freezes, ice thickness will not be the same as the surrounding area around the crack and can be very deceptive regarding thickness.

Interesting. Did not know that. For a situation like that Iím assuming you most likely wouldnít know until itís to late or is water on the ice a pretty good indicator of the ďvalle type crack.
-Pidge

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 10:05 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15901

Also have to remember that it there is a raised or lowered pressure crack, that there has to be another spot where the ice left with not evidence up or down. So this is a bad one as it can separate with high wind several feet then refresh, so now you have thin ice and maybe a bit of snow on top.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 10:41 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

On foot i look for areas that look different, less snow, white ice, lower/higher, water on the ice and continue in a relatively straight line in both directions.

PMEmail Poster
Pidge
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 04:24 pm

Fry

Thanks guys. Thanks a lot. That helps me and Iím sure others out understanding a bit more on what to look for. Really appreciate that.
-Pidge

PMEmail Poster
fishermon
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 10:11 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2853

Look for and follow tracks if you can.... if you're not sure out there. Don't go wondering off to far as there is usually a spot where a lot of people are crossing them. If the weathers bad I would stay off the lake. Most of these trucks going down are usually in the same crack [location] year after year so they either know about it and take a chance or just have no clue what their doing..

PMEmail Poster
KRASHED
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 11:05 pm

Fry

Member No.: 16820

Different lake but I can chime in as well.

On my local lake in walked out and saw a very small crack, wasn't folded upwards or downwards. The lake is full of small cracks from a dam opening and closing well upstream.

Drilled on the crack and found only 3 inches of ice. Scared the crap out of me. Drilled 5 feet away and was back into 16" of ice.

Likely pulled away from another section and the cold weather froze it up and made it look like a micro crack. That very easily could have had me go for a swim.

My new policy is avoid cracks altogether good or bad looking.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace