» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Drill
Knuguy
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 06:09 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 877

QUOTE (thrillhouse @ Feb 11, 2019 - 06:59 pm)
I'll put a vote in for milwaukee, not pictured are the new additions: the heated hoodie and the m18 lantern.

Do you have a website? What are your opening hrs???

PMEmail Poster
Mtleyes
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 07:10 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12954

I bought a Ridgid drill set about 8 years ago and they have served me well both in the garage and on the ice smashing holes. The main selling feature for me to try them was the free lifetime battery replacement. I noticed a couple years ago I wasn’t getting as many holes drilled before my battery died and would have to switch to my back up. That following summer my battery life was great, it was the cold that was zapping them. I took them to the dealer closest me and I had 2 new batteries free of charge in 2 weeks...can’t beat that!

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 11:15 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16371

I use a Dewalt DCD996B xr 20v with 6 amp hour battery. I am a contractor and it's my daily driver. Red, blue, orange or yellow they will all get the job done, if you have any existing cordless tools I'd stay with the same lineup. If not get whatever warranty or look you like the best! Getting bigger batterys then what come stock with the drill will allow you to drill more holes per charge.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 - 11:18 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (BlackCrowe13 @ Feb 10, 2019 - 09:30 pm)
Milwaukee M18 Fuel will be the most suggested model.

Took the overwhelming advice of many, and love mine more than I can explain!

X2.....love my Milwaukee Fuel 18 with pistol grip 8 inch auger and clam plate.

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Lanternman75
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 10:17 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11376

QUOTE (thrillhouse @ Feb 11, 2019 - 07:03 pm)
Question for lanternman, why use the clam plate when the k drill floats and is ready to use with a drill?

i like how the clam plate handles vs the side bar and drill only, i find it much easier to stand beside the auger and keep my distance away vs standing directly over the auger when just using the drill and safety reasons the clam plate is just more stable and keeps the feet away from the spinning action.

PMEmail Poster
Lanternman75
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 10:34 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11376

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 11, 2019 - 06:04 pm)
Yup the amp hours are just how long the battery will lasts not how much power the drill will have. I have an old Milwaulkee fuel brushless with 650 in lbs of torque. Does wonders on high with a 6” Auger. Even with the dull blades I have now it powers through over lapping holes. Gotta get me some new blades though.

What I will say for the higher amp hour batteries is how well they last. I used to use the 2 amp batteries the drill came with and drain them right down. When you do this you reduce the number of cycles you get out of a lithium battery. Now with my 5 amp batteries more often than not I only use one a trip and it has Charge left over to spare. This increases the number of cycle charges you get on a lithium battery.

nope, the extra ah are not just more run time check out this video and you can see how the 21700 cells do give the tools more performance. I real world tested my gen 3 drill with the 5.0 and 9.0HD and i can tell you first hand the 9.0 battery cuts out less when drilling the second overlapping hole vs the 5.0

Just watch the water test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmW_M6FNtw

PMEmail Poster
FisherGirl4Life
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 02:44 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 5610

I've done a lot of research on augers this year and the basic advice I've found with the drills is don't use anything less than 18v. After that, it's all about the batteries. I've got a Ridgid 18v that I've been testing with the 1.5ah batteries, and the $16 Rapala drill adapter (best flippin' $16 I've ever spent!), and I have been over-the-moon-happy with it's performance. 'll be asking for the 9ah batteries for my birthday for next year's fishing season.

I WAS looking at the electric augers they have out now, but after comparing prices on battery replacements, and seeing how well the 18v does, there's no comparison.

This post has been edited by FisherGirl4Life on Feb 12, 2019 - 02:48 pm

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 06:15 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16371

Another note, make sure you don't get a compact or mini drill. Go with whatever brand you want but make sure you get their biggest most powerful drill. After 20 years of using cordless drills some years X comes out with a better drill than Y but Y has a better warranty or comes with more goodies etc.

PMEmail Poster
Dee004
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 06:27 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 12369

QUOTE (jam1324 @ Feb 12, 2019 - 06:15 pm)
Another note, make sure you don't get a compact or mini drill. Go with whatever brand you want but make sure you get their biggest most powerful drill. After 20 years of using cordless drills some years X comes out with a better drill than Y but Y has a better warranty or comes with more goodies etc.

Totally agree. It's the Apple verses Android verses LG verses ..... conundrum lmao. My 20V Dewalt punches holes just as fast as my Eskimo gas auger and as many as I ever drill in one day on a 5.0AH battery.

PMEmail Poster
PaPa Iker
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 - 09:28 pm

Fry

Member No.: 12778

I see a lot of people using the Clam Plate. I suggest doing a google on a product called Ice Kicker 2. Just saying the chain drive reducer is awesome. Made in Erie, Penn.

PMEmail Poster
BootiusMaximus
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 01:05 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 14934

QUOTE (FisherGirl4Life @ Feb 12, 2019 - 02:44 pm)
I've done a lot of research on augers this year and the basic advice I've found with the drills is don't use anything less than 18v. After that, it's all about the batteries. I've got a Ridgid 18v that I've been testing with the 1.5ah batteries, and the $16 Rapala drill adapter (best flippin' $16 I've ever spent!), and I have been over-the-moon-happy with it's performance. 'll be asking for the 9ah batteries for my birthday for next year's fishing season.

I WAS looking at the electric augers they have out now, but after comparing prices on battery replacements, and seeing how well the 18v does, there's no comparison.

How many holes can you punch through with the 1.5?

Ive got an 18v Ridgid with the 1.5 batts, got about 4 holes per battery through 14" of ice(8" auger). Next day I went and bought the 2 pack of 5Ah. Carrying all these batteries is gonna be fun!

PMEmail Poster
Fishermike
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 01:36 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 16804

Milwaukee for m18 compact with a 6in auger for me.

Can only punch about 12 holes when the ice is over 12in.

I also use it to drive in my stakes for my hut.

I will be upgrading to a bigger battery soon.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Aidi
Posted: Yesterday at 08:37 am

Fry

Member No.: 2581

20 V brushless DeWalt serves me well for 5 years. 2 second bursts will penetrate 2 feet of ice in no time. I am checking tightness of the chuck before every use.

Keeping the drill straight down is the trick, otherwise one can bend the shaft. Learned that hard way, but it was fixed under the warranty , free of charge. Also Do Not pull up on the drill, this puts lot of stress on the drill.Use auger at wing nut to pull auger up, or/and to clean the hole u have just made.
Keep away from drill/auger any loose clothing , ice picks, strings or any that can wind up on spinning auger.

Another thing to keep in mind , is to keep batteries warm. Inside your coat or similar. They last a lot longer.
Drill on auger is a gift if someone is moving/walk on ice a Lot. Light weight and compact.
Dont forget to wipe and dry the drill after use.
Tight lines to all

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Yesterday at 09:29 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 11, 2019 - 05:04 pm)
I have an old Milwaulkee fuel brushless with 650 in lbs of torque. Does wonders on high with a 6” Auger.

You should be using it on low speed as you get more torque that way.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Yesterday at 09:51 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (BootiusMaximus @ Feb 13, 2019 - 02:05 pm)
QUOTE (FisherGirl4Life @ Feb 12, 2019 - 02:44 pm)
I've done a lot of research on augers this year and the basic advice I've found with the drills is don't use anything less than 18v.  After that, it's all about the batteries.  I've got a Ridgid 18v that I've been testing with the 1.5ah batteries, and the $16 Rapala drill adapter (best flippin' $16 I've ever spent!), and I have been over-the-moon-happy with it's performance.  'll be asking for the 9ah batteries for my birthday for next year's fishing season.

How many holes can you punch through with the 1.5?

Ive got an 18v Ridgid with the 1.5 batts, got about 4 holes per battery through 14" of ice(8" auger). Next day I went and bought the 2 pack of 5Ah. Carrying all these batteries is gonna be fun!

You might need new blades, or get them sharpened.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace